Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

Well, I'm going to bet that a lot of people will like the ending and others will hate it based on one simple fact. It is quite obvious from the "hurt and heal" games that everyone here has their favorite POVs... and we all know not everyone will survive.

We are all just going to be rooting for our favorite characters - I know I will.

It is already bittersweet in one aspect, The north is broken with Robbs defeat and death. That being said the Starks are the main custodians of the old faith of the north and if they die or their kingdom is destroyed, the religion which had previously faced the others eg the special glass / obsidian / can't remember daggers that Jon found could kill the others, will perish (the religion) just as the supposed elves disappeared.

I don't even know what a "happy" ending would entail. I personally root for Jaime, Stannis, Arya and Sandor. If good things happen to them it would be happier I guess, but many people do not like the characters I like. GRRM can't please everyone. I'm sure it will be happy for some and unhappy for some.

I would hazard a guess that if a certain theory is true, bittersweet would mean that though Jon and Dany discover they're related one of them dies and they are unable to grow old together.

Or at the very least, two characters who should be together cannot for one reason or another.

Happy ending for me would be to see the Starks together again, and all the bastards and SOBs dying horrible deaths. Yes that means you Mr Frey.

I would hazard a guess that if a certain theory is true, bittersweet would mean that though Jon and Dany discover they're related one of them dies and they are unable to grow old together.

Oh for god's sake I don't know what the ending is going to be but it will not be John and Dany hopping on a dragon and riding off into the sunset to found another inbreed dynisty

Nor with one of them professing creepy Tag love for the other only to die in one another's arms.

If I have to hear this agian...I don't what i'm going to do but it will NOT be pretty

Whatever happens its not going to be as bad as King and his little "screw you if you don't like my ending" note at the end of the Dark Tower serise.

I've really thought about this thread alot over the last few days and while I made a comment earlier about Littlefinger sitting the throne and being happy with that ending, I think the only way I'll be completely truely happy with the ending is if all the Stark children end up together again and Dany somehow lives.

Dany and the Stark children have been with us since the beginning and are, at least in my opinion, the real heart and soul of the story. As much as I love Tyrion and Jamie (yes he's quickly become one of my fav's) when it comes down to it, I expect and would be fine with a not so happy ending for one or both of them (though Tyrion deserves better, I expect bad things for him), but to lose someone like Arya or Dany, Jon, Sansa, or Bran would just leave a hole. Even Rickon's death would hurt and we barely know him, but we know of what his family is and how they react, the kind of people they are, and what the family has gone through. It's fun to root for the "good" guys you know?

So in short, I think I'll be satisifed with the ending, but not completely happy because I'm almost sure Dany and at least one other Stark child (probably Bran) will die.

Kingmaker

Guest Ser Jaime

I often root for the bad guys in fantasy fiction. Usually because they're so much more interesting and fun to read about than the good guys.

That's why I like reading about Tyrion and Jaime. Tyrion isn't a villain, in the strictest sense of the word, but he definitely has negative character traits.

Jon isn't interesting to me at all. Neither is Dany as a character, though I love the dragons and I love the exotic settings of her POV chapters.

As for the Starks, I like Arya because once again she doesn't fit into the classic hero mold of most fantasy characters. Sansa is okay. I like Bran, but he really hasn't had much to do for the past couple of books.

I'd say the Stark children have a much better chance of surviving the final book than Dany or Jon.

I'll be happy if either Tyrion or Jaime survive, but realistically it probably won't happen. The final book will probably be a bloodbath, and I'd expect a bunch of characters, both good and bad, will be killed off.

As long as the ending is emotional and powerful, and doesn't feel fake, I'll be happy.

The two worst kinds of endings are:

1) The ending where the author ties everything in a neat little package and everything works out for all of the good characters. Tad Williams' ending of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a good example of this. It was such a ridiculously sugar-sweet ending that it nearly ruined the series for me.

2) The ending where the author realizes he has 50 pages left to go and hasn't resolved anything yet, so everything gets wrapped up in the last chapter, with a bunch of loose threads left unresolved.

Or a character will wander in and tell us about events that happened off-screen.

"There was a great battle in the north, and thousands of people were killed. But in the end the troll-giants were driven back into the frozen wilderness. Huzzah!"

Show, don't tell.

I'm sure GRRM will manage to avoid both of these types of endings.

My happy ending? As long as Arya survives I think will be happy with whatever the outcome. I really don't have a choice or a preference for who sits the Irone Throne. Whoever wants it can have it. :P

Jon, I would like to see survive, but hey if he is going to be fighting Others? It's a toss up. I will just be happy to have the finished series! :D

Oh for god's sake I don't know what the ending is going to be but it will not be John and Dany hopping on a dragon and riding off into the sunset to found another inbreed dynisty

Nor with one of them professing creepy Tag love for the other only to die in one another's arms.

If I have to hear this agian...I don't what i'm going to do but it will NOT be pretty

Whoever said anything about them being lovers? I only meant it in the sibling capacity. And I don't WANT that ending, I was postulating it as an example of a bittersweet ending. It would be nice for them to meet and know each other as family since they are essentially the only family either have now (well Dany at least), but it would be tragic if their time was so limited. That's bittersweet.

Seven hells... you'd think I sewed a head onto a Stark kid.

I have no idea how it will end, and whether it'll be happy or not - that to me is the joy of the saga.

• 1 month later...

as long as the series ends with 7 books and the end is not too happy or too tragic just for the sake of being dark. i expect Dany to die fighting the Others, and sadly possibly Jon. i think Arya and Gendry will become lovers, and Sansa will become a powerful manipulator who gets LF killed. wasn't the last book originally planned on being called A Time For Wolves? so maybe a bunch of the Starks will turn out fine. Edric Storm for King on the iron throne.

I expect a resolution, but no "happy ending". I think plenty of characters we love will die. I think that a lot of characters will get what they thought they wanted only to realize the price they paid for it was too high.

SPOILERS

GRRM said recently on some gathering(I dont know when and where really,nor where is the link,but you could check it on westeros citadel) that in ADWD people we adore will die,as well as that he gave Dany a new ending and he is happy how she ends up now.So,my dear collegues,I think Dany will die on the end of ADWD

As to brighter side,I think LF will sit the throne :)

• 2 weeks later...
Bittersweet means Littlefinger will humbly agree to sit the Iron Throne for the good of the Seven Kingdoms after a vast majority of the other "players" end up wight bait and the last scene will be him ascending the steps, sitting on the throne, and looking out over the crowd with a well satisfied smile.

And yes, for some strange perverted twisted reason that even I don't understand, this ending would satisfy me.

OMIGOD. That's twisted. LF has to have something bad happen to him. I may throw the series on the rummage pile it that happens.

SPOILERS

GRRM said recently on some gathering(I dont know when and where really,nor where is the link,but you could check it on westeros citadel) that in ADWD people we adore will die,as well as that he gave Dany a new ending and he is happy how she ends up now.So,my dear collegues,I think Dany will die on the end of ADWD

As to brighter side,I think LF will sit the throne :)

Brighter? What is this Board coming to?

I understood that GRRM was writing this series to restore a dymasty - namely the Targs. When did it become Little Finger. Am I way off base here? Has everyone seen this coming but me?

Archived