Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

would that really be a happy ending for her? That would be another ironic twist based on where her character has always been - in the mud, scab covered, practicing with a stick. being the fairytale princess for her would be a hell...

as for your other post - the good guys losing...while I wouldn't want that, this is definitely a series that I wouldn't count the possibility out..."evil shall always triumph because good is dumb"...

That was kind of my point... No happy endings. The only one that ends up with the typical fairytale ending is the last one who would ever want it...

That was kind of my point... No happy endings. The only one that ends up with the typical fairytale ending is the last one who would ever want it...

gotcha...you were slow with the massage/happy ending, I was slow with this...we're even... :thumbsup:

Well - seems I might be in the minority here. I want a happy ending. After all the suffering, all the pain and death, I want to see some hope. I don't want it all to have been for nothing. There's a certain impact in that, yes, but with such a long series I come to care quite deeply about the characters, and for all their trials to end as an exercise in futility? It'd be dreadful. It took me days to get over the ending to the Dark Tower series, which someone has already mentioned.

So here's to the long and happy reign of Jon and Dany, the restoration of the Targaryen dynasty...

But you're all probably right. Given Martin's style I very much doubt I'll get the kind of ending I'd love. But I'll be reading anyway. :stunned:

My bets are that Bran won't die. I think Jon will. I'm pretty sure LS will die. . .again. No Beric this time unfortunately. Dany. . .undecided.

Good Ending. . .I hope not. I agree with everyone that says evil people win to little in fantasy and the fact that a good ending is not promised is one of the major things that draw people to this series.

GRRM considers the Lord of the rings had a bittersweet ending, and he has said ASOIAF would have one too.

In that light, I don't expect that many deaths, however what I do expect is:

- Real heroes never recognized and not welcome in their own land.

- Magic and fantastic, fairy tales things fading out of the world

- Old dynasties disappear

- Support characters who didn't really shine become rulers

- The big threat defeated for good

- Deep government and society changes

Concretely, for me it means Others defeated, seasons back to normal, dragons extinct, all magic extinct -including gods, CoF, R'hllor-, Dany dead, Jon writhing away with no child, Arya leaving Westeros, Bran disappearing with the CoF, Cersei down, Tyrion finding some happiness for a short time, Jaime dying a hero, Brienne taking over Jaime's mantle, Sansa reigning, and Sam recollecting what really happened. Winterfell would not be rebuilt, and Starks would not be restored.

I hope Tyrion and Brienne end up together, and we won't know OR care about who is king.

Either that, or it ends as Shogun-It ends up that Podrick Payne was plotting this whole thing all along and he ends up king....

I don't know...

The only character who I know will live until the end of the series is Brienne. It will be great if she live happily, without rapes, probably happily married. Why? Because she has to. With all of the people clamoring for her raping and death, it would be great to see Brienne the Beauty as either a Kingsguard knight at the end, or happily wed, or just happy, in general.

Jaime will definitely die. I think it might be the only book character I've ever or will ever cry for, but he will definitely die a great death, either like Ned Stark's (Humiliated and crushed), Robb Stark's (Betrayed in an unforgivable manner), or dying to save his king from something. But first he must kill Cersei. So there will be no happy ending to ASoIaF. The only thing I am expecting is Brienne's living, because she will mourn Jaime as much as I will.

My visions:

-Others are beaten!

-Your children Gendry and Arya get married and rule Westeros as husband and his

-Sansa and Rickon Stark rebuild Winterfell.

-Bran leaves for beyond the wall.

-Someone shall kill Myrcella.

-When Tyrion flyes into Kings Landing on a dragon, Cersei makes Tommen drink a merciful poison. Then Jaime strangles the bitch and King's Jusrice beheads him.

-Tyrion shall become lord of Casterly Rock and shall write seven very fat books.

-Jon Targaryen shall rebuild the NW into its former glory!

-the Geryjojs shall die out

-Sansa shall remain married with Tyrion Lannister

-Euron shall learn what does it mean to be burned by Drogon's fire

-Lady Stoneheart shall die, but not before she slays Walder Fray

-Ramsay Bolton shall be feed to either Others or Nymeria's wolves

-Dany shall either die or go to Asshai

Well - seems I might be in the minority here. I want a happy ending. After all the suffering, all the pain and death, I want to see some hope. I don't want it all to have been for nothing. There's a certain impact in that, yes, but with such a long series I come to care quite deeply about the characters, and for all their trials to end as an exercise in futility? It'd be dreadful. It took me days to get over the ending to the Dark Tower series, which someone has already mentioned.

So here's to the long and happy reign of Jon and Dany, the restoration of the Targaryen dynasty...

But you're all probably right. Given Martin's style I very much doubt I'll get the kind of ending I'd love. But I'll be reading anyway. :stunned:

I can't see that as a restoration of the Targaryen Dynasty... Unless Jon took her name and she somehow had children... If she truly is baren, then the Targaryen line ends with her...

I can't see that as a restoration of the Targaryen Dynasty... Unless Jon took her name and she somehow had children... If she truly is baren, then the Targaryen line ends with her...

If Jon is Rhaegar's son, then he's Targaryen too, even if not in name - but there are other threads to debate that I suppose.

But yes, Dany could be barren. Or Mirri Maz Duur could just have been trying to frighten her with curses. Or as Akul said there might be an exception if it's caused by magic. Anything is possible really.

I doubt that there is anything that would make Jon leave the NW. Not Ygritte, not Winterfel land especialy not a city that means nothing to him.

Either the Targaryen dinasty shall die with Dany

OR

Dany: "Don't worry darling, I am barren."

Jon: "Oh... ok!"

A MONTH LATER:

Pyp: Oh Lord Snow!

Jon: Yes?

Pyp: Were you puting your... sword into the queen?

Jon: Ummm....I...

Pyp: Congratulations! You'll be a father to the King!

Jon: Oh my, what have I done?

OR

Grenn: So, you say that if you weren't here, you would be the righteous King of Westeros?

Jon: YEs, but my o...

(we see a scene where Jon literally flies through the gates of Castle Black)

Grenn: Take the f*ckign throne and send us some men!

Edd: We liek you, but not as 1000 soldiers!

I think *some*thing has to succeed though, something or someone, I don't think all of the (arguable) protagonists' story arcs can end in doom and failure.

But it's entirely possible they don't find success as validating as they thought they would.

I often root for the bad guys in fantasy fiction. Usually because they're so much more interesting and fun to read about than the good guys.

That's why I like reading about Tyrion and Jaime. Tyrion isn't a villain, in the strictest sense of the word, but he definitely has negative character traits.

Jon isn't interesting to me at all. Neither is Dany as a character, though I love the dragons and I love the exotic settings of her POV chapters.

As for the Starks, I like Arya because once again she doesn't fit into the classic hero mold of most fantasy characters. Sansa is okay. I like Bran, but he really hasn't had much to do for the past couple of books.

I'd say the Stark children have a much better chance of surviving the final book than Dany or Jon.

I'll be happy if either Tyrion or Jaime survive, but realistically it probably won't happen. The final book will probably be a bloodbath, and I'd expect a bunch of characters, both good and bad, will be killed off.

As long as the ending is emotional and powerful, and doesn't feel fake, I'll be happy.

The two worst kinds of endings are:

1) The ending where the author ties everything in a neat little package and everything works out for all of the good characters. Tad Williams' ending of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a good example of this. It was such a ridiculously sugar-sweet ending that it nearly ruined the series for me.

2) The ending where the author realizes he has 50 pages left to go and hasn't resolved anything yet, so everything gets wrapped up in the last chapter, with a bunch of loose threads left unresolved.

Or a character will wander in and tell us about events that happened off-screen.

"There was a great battle in the north, and thousands of people were killed. But in the end the troll-giants were driven back into the frozen wilderness. Huzzah!"

Show, don't tell.

I'm sure GRRM will manage to avoid both of these types of endings.

Agree with a lot of this. I honestly don't care one way or another if Jon or Dany kick the bucket. They do not interest me much. Their characters are just a bit too archetype for me to really get into.

I think it'll be something unexpected. I'm willing to bet the Others will get defeated probably by the dragons. Of course several key players will die. Bitter sweet means it's not going to be a "happy" ending and it seems to me GRRM has indicated the whole bitter sweet scenario. It'll probably be a highly ironic ending anyway.

Oddly enough, I'm not sure who I want to "win" the Iron Throne. I kind of want to be surprised and be wrong about it.

I don't expect a traditional happy ending. Not every character we want to have things work out for is going to, not everyone we want to get theirs will, and some problems will not be resolved completely. Characters will die, though its debatable who. There is no one truely safe given that GRRM has a habit of setting our expectations on their heads. Its not going to be a pretty ending but I would suspect a satisfying and appropriatte one.

I read awhile back on these forums that one member thought the last line in the series would be "And Jamie sat down on the Iron Throne to see who would come and claim it". I was not a member then, just creeping around on the boards, but I LOVED the line, and thought it would be THE BEST way to end the series. Kinda coming full circle, you know? Happy or Sad, I like this ending.

Imagine how pleasing it would be if this turns out to be the series where the heroes fail and all is ultimately lost in the end... maybe a handful of wildlings survive to dream of spring, or something like that... Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

heh. Martin gets accused of many things, but I do not think he is a nihilist. On another level, if we do get some sort of anti-ending, the one where The Others triumph, it will raise many curious questions about the narrative necessity of much of the plot and the many characters.

My visions:

-Others are beaten!

-Jon Targaryen shall rebuild the NW into its former glory!

I like, your ending but... These don't seem very logic.

If Others are beaten and gone, why the NW is still needed?

Or do you mean just beaten, but not definitely gone?

Bittersweet ending...

I don't believe ASOIAF will have a classic happy ending.

But I also don't wan't him to be too bitter.

I want a few bitter elements, though we will probably have them more than I want... I actually like happy endings in the books.

I just hope tat ending would be a little more happy than bitter.

I like, your ending but... These don't seem very logic.

If Others are beaten and gone, why the NW is still needed?

Or do you mean just beaten, but not definitely gone?

Just beaten. They shall return once again in the future.

But I am changing my statement into the fact that the NW shall rebuild itself because of Jon's sacrifice and serving NW shall once again become a great honor.

The reason for this sudden change is because I explored the propercies once more. I came to conclusion that Jon shall die.

Archived