Are you expecting a happy ending to ASoIaF?

crosser

I have Jon eventually becoming the ruler of all Seven Kingdoms in the end but only after he suffers a Shakespearean descent into tragedy and villainy. He has to transform in a cold, callous conqueror and will have to off a few of his friends, before ascending the Iron Throne. Killing everyone, conquering all Seven Kingdoms and slaying the Dragons. I imagine him to be somewhat like Nobunaga Oda, who began his life uninterested in ruling or warfare and it was the suicide of one his retainers that triggered something in him and caused to explode across Feudal Japan. Except Jon is going to undergo a step by step descent into darkness, and amorality.

Guest Ser Jaime

I don't really care who is sitting on the Iron Throne in the end, as long as it's believable and not contrived.

I think it would be hard to write a good ending with Dany winning the throne in the end, because it would very likely come off as cliched and predictable.

That said, I don't think Dany will survive the final book.

I agree with whoever said they would like to see Littlefinger sitting on the Iron Throne in the end. That would be a very fitting ending.

I've always thought Jon was the obvious choice. So if Martin said that, that may take him out of contention. Is Bran also an obvious choice? Arya wouldn't necessarily be an obvious choice. I hope by "no one expected" he doesn't mean some side character.

I'm still waiting for someone to post the SSM where GRRM said this.

jon targaryen, you said this many posts ago, but you think tyrion will die because he's a kinslayer? i'm of the arys+johanna=tyrion...so my imp gets to live in my forecast!

as for the other characters, i guess dany has to die, which sucks becausei love her.

for what people are saying about jon...i really hope he doesn't break his vows. some say he'll be the king, or die because he broke his vows...i want him to stay on the wall. although i would not be surprised if dany got rid of celibacy vows as part of her reign. i feel like she thought once that those vows were antiquated? maybe i'm wrong, but i get the sense that those vows may go by the wayside by the end of the series.

but even so, it seems like jon's personality would still make him hang on to those vows.

i really hope that tyrion ends up on the throne, though it does seem a little obvious to me.

and i know i'm probably going to be crying buckets, but i really want jaime to live, (but that bitch cersei can rot in the seven hells).

For a good ending . deaths to include, but not limited to: Cersei, Dany, Sansa, LF, Undead Catelyn, all the Kingsguard but Jamie and Loras...

Awww, what did poor, awesome, honorable Ser Balon Swann ever do to you?

I agree that it must be something about how goals are achieved but people we like died to achieve them.

I worry so much about Jaime's fate. Because he either survives, redeemed for his former actions (could have something to do with Bran), or dies honorably, redeeming himself through the way he dies (again, possibly involving Bran) or dies because redemption can't make up for former actions, or dies because he really never changed for the better after all, and reverted to the old persona...AHHHHH

I'm not happy about it, but I think Arya, Dany, maybe Jon, Brienne will die. I also think Littlefinger will die in a great, "you thought of everything, LF...except THIS!" And the smirk just dies off his face and he dies.

jon targaryen, you said this many posts ago, but you think tyrion will die because he's a kinslayer? i'm of the arys+johanna=tyrion...so my imp gets to live in my forecast!

Tyrion is still a kinslayer then; he just killed his cousin instead of his father.

The book is set in a cycle of seasons, so the plot will logically follow a cycle as well. This whole thing started with a death (I'd say it's Ned executing the deserter, but the deaths in the prologue works too), so this series should close with a birth, which fits with the "Dream of Spring" well -- spring being a time of renewal and rebirth, a revitalization of life.

So who's the mother? There are multiple eligible candidates (Margaery, Cersei, Sansa, etc.), but the choice of Dany is just too tempting. It will be quite fitting for one last miracle. Who's the father? Jon, of course. To make it bittersweet? The two of them with one other (probably Tyrion, with Bran being a long shot) will ride the dragons and destroy the Others forever, but will also die in the process. Before Dany dies, however, she'll live long enough to give birth to a child (or maybe even a triplet? :)), who represents the renewed hope. Incidentally, this scenario makes Tyrion a much better candidate for being a dragonrider than Bran, since he, like Dany and Jon, also had his mother die when giving birth to him. To have Dany die while giving birth to the new hope will of course complete the bittersweet circle.

So there you have it, my obsession with symmetry... :P

The series will never end. The next books will be split into 3 then 5 then 11 novels each going over every minute detail of minor characters. New characters will be introduced by the handfull until each book comes with a dictionary size appendix so readers can keep track of who is who. The books will have to cover each character's journey so that they will only cover half a days time. Even after Martin's death at age 103 others will take up the story to finally end it. War will break out whether Arya has 2 sons or 5 daughters or dies in the belly of a dragon. The human race will be destroyed. Robots take over and rule the world which they want to preserve yet do not understand. It is known.

Guest Ser Jaime

I like your theory, Gravity Gun. I could totally see that happening.

Dany dies, but leaves behind an heir who will eventually grow up to rule the Seven Kingdoms and guide Westeros into an age of peace and prosperity.

Maybe Tyrion could rule as regent until Dany's heir is ready to sit the throne. Assuming he survives the final book, of course.

I agree with whoever said they would like to see Littlefinger sitting on the Iron Throne in the end. That would be a very fitting ending.

*Big Grin* :D I can just imagine a grand council deciding to put someone on the Iron Throne who has a pleasant demeanor and who is not a back- stabbing schemer... The thought first came into my head when Cersei was thinking that it was a shame that Baelish was busy at the Eyrie, because he would make a great Hand, what being so eager to please and all.. Yeah, it's Cersei thinking, but seemed like foreshadowing to me.

edited for clarity

Im thinking itll be more bitter than sweet. As others have said I'm assuming it will be a sorta "high price to pay" deal where the others are defeated but with the death of at least dany or jon.

I remember reading somewhere that Arya is his wife's favorite character and she said if he ever killed her hed be sleeping on the couch the rest of his days so I imagine shell live.

At the same time I read somewhere that Tyrion is his favorite character which makes me think he will die. I'm not quite sure why but I can't see Martin letting his favorite character live.

Archived