Why not Marwyn?

Ygrain

When Quaithe gives her warning to Dany, she says:

"Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

She foretells the arrival of Victaryon and Moquorro, Tyrion and JonCon, (f)Aegon and Quentyn, but we know that one more person is heading to Meereen - Maester Marwyn. Why doesn't she mention him? Does it mean that he will be the only trustworthy? Or that Marwyn, who is able to perform some magic, lighting the glass candles, cannot be seen in prophetic visions? And, if Quaithe doesn't mention Marwyn among the untrustworthy ones, is this a true information, or is there some connection between her and Marwyn from his travels? Is Marwyn the one who is supposed to bring Dany to Asshai?

Marwyn's the anti-devil. He's like...... imagine if right before the bible started filming Jesus had a family emergency that forced him to leave the set, which would make the director of the Bible go into full panic mode because there was no understudy for the role of Christ. So at the last minute the director would call the Devil over and say, "Lucifer, there's been a change. We need you to play the part of Jesus. Can you do that?" That's Marwyn. He has no business being a good guy, but probably is one.

Also, the perfumed seneschal could be anyone or anything as established here on the internet previously, which means there's the chance it's Marwyn, who seems to be the last to arrive, just as the seneschal is mentioned last. It'd be neat if this was a flash forward warning about him in his future role as head of the Citadel after DanEEE claims that dump for team Stormborn.

The glass candles are glass candles - it's not symbolic of a man, but rather that magic has returned in a big way.

As for marwyn, there's more to this guy than meets the eye. After all, one little detail about him is that he taught Mirri Maaz Duur some of her craft.

Marwyn's the anti-devil. He's like...... imagine if right before the bible started filming Jesus had a family emergency that forced him to leave the set, which would make the director of the Bible go into full panic mode because there was no understudy for the role of Christ. So at the last minute the director would call the Devil over and say, "Lucifer, there's been a change. We need you to play the part of Jesus. Can you do that?" That's Marwyn. He has no business being a good guy, but probably is one.

Also, the perfumed seneschal could be anyone or anything as established here on the internet previously, which means there's the chance it's Marwyn, who seems to be the last to arrive, just as the seneschal is mentioned last. It'd be neat if this was a flash forward warning about him in his future role as head of the Citadel after DanEEE claims that dump for team Stormborn.

If I could be a Targaryen queen I would incite the polygamy precedent in my family and make you MoTO my second (and perhaps favorite) husband.

Why do people seem to trust Quaithe? She has done nothing to show her usefulness. All her ramblings have done so far is make Dany paranoid.

Oh, there are some funny theories about Quaithe.

It's the ghost of Dany's mother, or evidence that Dany is schizophrenic, and so on ...

... of course, Quaithe has been accurate in her own way, just not ways that Dany seems to see. Is it to Dany's benefit or detriment ? Hard to say.

My two most likely scenarios:

1. Marwyn is the perfumed seneschal. Archmaesters rotate shifts as seneschal of the Citadel. I think it is likely Marwyn has been seneschal before. Totally speculation though.

2. Quaithe does not necessarily see the future. She can see in the moment essentially. So when she looks for danger and Dany or Dany in general, she can only see those approaching her at that very moment. Marwyn comes after this, so she doesn't see him.

We know Marwyn has a glass candle, and it's pretty widely speculated that Quaithe does, too, since her possession of this device would provide an explanation for her cryptic messages to Dany. It would account for how she knows about all the scattered, disparate characters now moving towards Meereen. And if the maester and the shadow binder each have a candle, my guess is that they are in contact, and to some extent in league, with each other. Perhaps Mirri Maz Duur was not the only magic-minded individual with whom Marwyn formed a relationship during his time abroad. If this is true, then Quaithe would not list Marwyn among those whom she warns Dany not to trust. Rather, his absence from that list could give him an edge when at last he arrives in Dany's presence with all the others. That she had been warned about all but him might make him seem implicitly more trustworthy.

I tend to see Marwyn as Dany's Melisandre, and we all know that Mel is fond of using her tricks illusions to craft the specific impression that she wishes those around her to receive from herself, from others, and from events of her orchestration. I think Marwyn, with Quaithe's help, is basically doing the same thing.

Most likely, quaithe herself is using a glass candle. Marwyn may not have left oldtown yet when she warned dany, much like aegon hadn't decided yet to go to westeros without first seeking her out.

I always thought that bc of the book's concurrent timelines, Marwyn hadn't left yet when Quaithe made that warning. I could be wrong, though...

My two most likely scenarios:

1. Marwyn is the perfumed seneschal. Archmaesters rotate shifts as seneschal of the Citadel. I think it is likely Marwyn has been seneschal before. Totally speculation though.

2. Quaithe does not necessarily see the future. She can see in the moment essentially. So when she looks for danger and Dany or Dany in general, she can only see those approaching her at that very moment. Marwyn comes after this, so she doesn't see him.

One problem here: the griffin and the mummer's dragon never even set out, so Quaithe basically knew of a mere plan to travel to Meereen and not an actual movement.

I like the idea that Marwyn might be the perfumed seneschal - we all expect it to be Reznak or Varys or Tyrion's ship, it would be fun if all these were just red herrings.

One problem here: the griffin and the mummer's dragon never even set out, so Quaithe basically knew of a mere plan to travel to Meereen and not an actual movement.

I like the idea that Marwyn might be the perfumed seneschal - we all expect it to be Reznak or Varys or Tyrion's ship, it would be fun if all these were just red herrings.

Good point. Maybe she sees intentions? Totally still possible and likely they seek her out in Westeros though. Her magical abilities are rather frustrating to figure out

Marwyn as the seneschal is my favorite as well. I just have a feeling he has ulterior motives than lending a helping hand.

Good point. Maybe she sees intentions? Totally still possible and likely they seek her out in Westeros though. Her magical abilities are rather frustrating to figure out

Marwyn as the seneschal is my favorite as well. I just have a feeling he has ulterior motives than lending a helping hand.

Totally my line of thought. I am coming to believe that he and Quaithe might be working together and manipulating Dany to their own goals.

Archived