Brienne and Stannis: "Promise you will not hold me back"

Lala

I never understood this argument.... I never thought anybody wanted revenge for their dearly departed to be literally resurrected. I knew a guy who shot his ex-wife after he found out she killed their son...and he didn't think that by killing his wife it would magically bring back his son. His thinking was "stupid bitch thinks she can kill my only son and get away with it. Bang!"

I understand that kind of revenge, and the satisfaction it may bring. However, I wouldn't consider Brienne's infatuation with Renly at the same level. Anyway I wasn't saying that people get revenge in order to resurrect a lost one. I meant that I don't think the eventual satisfaction that a revenge could bring could outweigh the sense of loss, which is never to be repaired. I think people want to take a vengeance thinking that the (undeniable) sense of accomplishment it may bring can somehow mitigate the pain. Obviously I don' t believe that's everyone case, but it seems to me it could be Brienne's (whose pain, IMO, comes more from the fact she couldn't protect the one she was 'in love' with and sworn to protect. I think she wants to kill Stannis to make amends for her failure more than she wants to do it because Renly was 'taken' from her (as could be the case you're commenting), because he was never hers anyway...

I hope I explained myself better...I've really lost practice in English, can't say half of the things I want to :bang:

I don't think that Brienne would kill Stannis. For one, they never found Stannis's finger prints or DNA in the room where Renly was killed. No witnesses saw Stannis or any of his men in the camp that day. No murder weapon was recovered either, which means that the case against Stannis was weaker than the case against Tyrion for attacking Bran. The only evidence that Stannis was involved was Catelyn's perception that the shadow looked like Stannis, which is pretty vague and implausible. I don't see either Melisandre or Davos snitching on Stannis, and Stannisl himself barely seems to acknowledge or understand what happened. Really, there's no proof that Stannis was involved in Renly's death; hell, Brienne of all people should know how damaging and hurtful it is to be accused of a murder that you didn't commit based on paper-thin evidence after her encounters with Ser Loras and the other Kingsguard members. If she gives Stannis a fair trial before attacking him she'll be forced to admit that she really has nothing on him besides a shadow of a hunch.

Personally, I think chances are pretty good Brienne will one day have a reckoning with Stannis. She would be his Achillle's Heel - a true knight, brave and honourable to a fault. Someone who swears oaths and keeps them.

A shame too, because she would make a better knight in Stannis' service than his own Kings and Queens men.

Crackpot theory: Brienne may not be the one to kill Stannis, but may very well be the one who disproves that he is the Azor Ahai reborn. The scenario might be that her accusation of kinslaying through black magic leads to a trial by combat - Oathkeeper versus Stannis' "Lightbringer", and her sword (and her righteous purity) shatters the other.

Brienne's love for Renly was always very shallow and pretty sad. She is in love with a man she does not know and has spent very little time with. It's nothing more than a childish crush, made worse by her being 19 or so.

I hope Brienne is able to actually grow up and see what Renly was, rather than continue to be blinded by her crush.

And people wonder why I say that inside, Brienne is more like Sansa than she is like the other warrior women such as Arya. Her body made her a warrior, but inside she has that romantic idealism about knights and goodness and handsome princes, etc. They also shared that naive obliviousness to Renly and Loras' gay relationship - pining after men that could never really desire them.

I understand that kind of revenge, and the satisfaction it may bring. However, I wouldn't consider Brienne's infatuation with Renly at the same level. Anyway I wasn't saying that people get revenge in order to resurrect a lost one. I meant that I don't think the eventual satisfaction that a revenge could bring could outweigh the sense of loss, which is never to be repaired. I think people want to take a vengeance thinking that the (undeniable) sense of accomplishment it may bring can somehow mitigate the pain. Obviously I don' t believe that's everyone case, but it seems to me it could be Brienne's (whose pain, IMO, comes more from the fact she couldn't protect the one she was 'in love' with and sworn to protect. I think she wants to kill Stannis to make amends for her failure more than she wants to do it because Renly was 'taken' from her (as could be the case you're commenting), because he was never hers anyway...

I hope I explained myself better...I've really lost practice in English, can't say half of the things I want to :bang:

Got it. If it's any consolation, you're way more articulate than I am.

Archived