Brienne and Stannis: "Promise you will not hold me back"

Lala

Random thought of the day =D

Brienne and Catelyn are the only two characters to have seen what happened in Renly's tent when he was assassinated via shadowbaby. When Brienne swears her fealty to Cat, she asks Cat to promise her that, when the time comes, Cat will not hold her back from avenging Renly by slaying Stannis. So my question is twofold:

1. Do you think that Brienne and Stannis will ever cross paths again?

2. If their paths do cross, do you think Brienne will be able to let go of what happened to Renly? Or will she still attempt to avenge his death?

Just curious if anyone has thought about this more deeply than I have~

1. I doubt that the two of them will cros paths any time soon.

2. But if the do, I think Brienne would try to avenge Renly. Even in AFFC, her feelings for him were strong.

1. I doubt that the two of them will cros paths any time soon.

2. But if the do, I think Brienne would try to avenge Renly. Even in AFFC, her feelings for him were strong.

Follow up =D

Do you think Brienne would be justified? Is it really impossible for Brienne to let go of her perception of Stannis and see in him the same king that Davos sees?

It does seem unlikely that their paths would cross, but I almost would like them to just so I, as a reader, can gain a sense of closure about Brienne's vow of vengeance for her king (not saying I want her to kill Stannis, simply that I would like to see those feelings resolved in some manner).

Do you think Brienne would be justified? Is it really impossible for Brienne to let go of her perception of Stannis and see in him the same king that Davos sees?

I doubt Brienne will ever see Stannis through Davos' eyes. Davos looks at Stannis quite one-sidedly, and all the bad he projects on Melisandre. That's something Brienne won't do.

It does seem unlikely that their paths would cross, but I almost would like them to just so I, as a reader, can gain a sense of closure about Brienne's vow of vengeance for her king (not saying I want her to kill Stannis, simply that I would like to see those feelings resolved in some manner).

In a way, a good author, and we all agree GRRM is one, never puts a line like this without using it later. So, there might be a chance for Brienne to get her revenge, but like in many cases, I believe that justice will come from another source.

I had a random thought that Cat's promise not to hold her back in regards to Stannis might be something that allows Brienne to escape Stoneheart. I don't even know if it makes sense or if unCat would buy into it, but if Brienne can call up that favor and convince unCat that killing her (Brienne) would be holding her back, she could walk away from that situation.

Now that you mentioned it, I do believe what Stannis did to Renly will prove to be his undoing. :(

If it's true that kinslayers are cursed, you might be right. I happen to love Stannis but I don't excuse what he did to Renly. Some Stannis fans do like to ignore it.

It's hard to see Brienne looking past it.

1. I'm not sure if they'll ever meet, but I've always wanted to see a Brienne and Stannis showdown

2. I'm not sure about if she'll 'avenge' Renly or not. It seems to me that Jaime is replacing Renly in her mind and heart. However, if she still has some semblance of feelings for Renly and his legacy, then I think she'd try to avenge him.

Now that you mentioned it, I do believe what Stannis did to Renly will prove to be his undoing. :(

If nothing else, Stannis does bear feelings of guilt/sadness over what happened. I'd prefer for it to be something that holds Stannis back from acting in a similar manner later in his character arc, but it is possible that it will be the "flaw" that proves to be the chink in his armor ...

I doubt Brienne will ever see Stannis through Davos' eyes. Davos looks at Stannis quite one-sidedly, and all the bad he projects on Melisandre. That's something Brienne won't do.

That is true. I suppose somewhere in my happy place where the series is called "A Song of Icecream and Fireflies," Brienne will realize that Stannis does regret what happened and that despite his mistakes, he is actually a just king.

In a way, a good author, and we all agree GRRM is one, never puts a line like this without using it later. So, there might be a chance for Brienne to get her revenge, but like in many cases, I believe that justice will come from another source.

Do you have any speculations about where? I really have no opinions on this subject so I'm just digging everyone else's brain to satisfy my curiosity =P

I had a random thought that Cat's promise not to hold her back in regards to Stannis might be something that allows Brienne to escape Stoneheart. I don't even know if it makes sense or if unCat would buy into it, but if Brienne can call up that favor and convince unCat that killing her (Brienne) would be holding her back, she could walk away from that situation.

Oh that's an interesting idea =D

ok,that just makes no sense.she is crazy,she wants to kill her just because of a sword(i think) do you really think she would care about some promise she probably doesnt even remember

See, yeah, I know it's kind of random, but it's still a thought that pulls at the back of my brain. I don't even really subscribe to it, but I do think that comment is important. I have no answers, just thoughts.

That is true. I suppose somewhere in my happy place where the series is called "A Song of Icecream and Fireflies," Brienne will realize that Stannis does regret what happened and that despite his mistakes, he is actually a just king.

This is classical question "Why Blackfish hates Jon?". Thing is, not all good guys like each other. The same thing applies to bad guys. Idea that we'll see all good guys vs. all bad guys is a bit stereotypical for me, and I doubt GRRM will go that way. There will be no scenario in which all would understand everything.

Do you have any speculations about where? I really have no opinions on this subject so I'm just digging everyone else's brain to satisfy my curiosity =P

If I would have to guess, and I don't like that very much, I would say somewhere North...

See, yeah, I know it's kind of random, but it's still a thought that pulls at the back of my brain. I don't even really subscribe to it, but I do think that comment is important. I have no answers, just thoughts.

It could be possible. LS is aware enough to recognize Jaime's sword, and it appears as if oaths have a certain power in ASoIaF. Since Cat did swear an oath to Brienne and vice versa, it is possible that some form of "power" binds them to each other (this sounds so vague but I'm too tired to elaborate xD)

well i dont see how it is important because i REALLY HOPE that Brienne wont have chapters in next books,but still i dont see how it can save her

I figure in the unlikely event they meet, if Brienne has the chance, she will take it. Maybe stalk him a few days, slip into his tent or whatever hovel he has commandeered. If she can't get at him, though, and has to move on, she will still plot vengeance later.

For the moment, it seems more likely he will fall fighting the Others, and Brienne does not serve a specific purpose in ADOS, so she may not survive that long.

Well, even if Brienne doesn't have chapters, I'm pretty sure Jaime will, so yeah - more Brienne in the works for ya, sorry.

And if you don't think the comment is important, just say that. It's a thread based specifically on that comment :P

It could be possible. LS is aware enough to recognize Jaime's sword, and it appears as if oaths have a certain power in ASoIaF. Since Cat did swear an oath to Brienne and vice versa, it is possible that some form of "power" binds them to each other (this sounds so vague but I'm too tired to elaborate xD)

ok what?it has power to bind them?what is that,a blood magic?

ok what?it has power to bind them?what is that,a blood magic?

Oathbreaking is something that is taken very seriously in Westeros - just like the concept of "guest right" - rather than saying that it has magical power, I think it is more accurate to say that oaths have power over men's minds and aren't easily forgotten, even after death.

Archived