Why I believe Rickard Stark's wife was a Blackwood (crackpot)

Roadside Rose

I believe the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Lyanna. But what is intriguing is the symbol of the weirdwood tree on the shield of the knight. Those who know the story of this mystery knight either believe it’s Howland Reed, the crannogman or Lyanna Stark. Howland however confessed he was no expert horseman or jouster. The weirwood tree could have been a symbol for Howland. But Howland was never the mystery knight. (I also believed this could be a symbol indicating that Lyanna kept her faith in the Old Gods. But I think the sigil has a deeper meaning to it.)

Then the question arises, why would Lyanna use the weirdwood as the symbol on her shield. And I think the answer lies in aGoT,

“Look at the arms on his surcoat,” Jon suggested.

Arya looked. An ornate shield had been embroidered on the prince’s padded surcoat. No doubt the needlework was exquisite. The arms were divided down the middle; on one side was the crowned stag of the royal House, on the other the lion of Lannister.

“The Lannisters are proud,” Jon observed. “You’d think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother’s House equal in honor to the king’s.”

“The woman is important too!” Arya protested.

Jon chuckled. “Perhaps you should do the same thing, little sister. Wed Tully to Stark in your arms.”

“A wolf with a fish in its mouth?” It made her laugh. “That would look silly. Besides, if a girl can’t fight, why should she have a coat of arms?”

Jon shrugged. “Girls get the arms but not the swords. Bastards get the swords but not the arms. I did not make the rules, little sister.”

Jon makes fun of Joffrey bearing both his Mother’s and Father’s House sigils. And Arya points out that the woman is important too. This is exactly what Lyanna must have thought while donning her shield. She could have worn the sigil of House Stark a direwolf. But she decided to honor her Mother’s house at the tourney, and wear a weirwood tree on her shield, the sigil of House Blackwood.

I doubt that. It would draw unwanted attention. Not mentioning that she would harm Blackwoods by wearing their sigil on her shield. Also, we meet some Blackwoods, and there is no indication that they and Starks are that closely related, although it is a bit interesting that Raventree is the last castle with Stark banner...

or weirwoods are just indicative of the North. and she couldnt wear a direwolf, then everyone would know it was a stark, thus defeating the purpose of a mystery knight. why not just wear a name badge?

or she mixed the Stark and Blackwood arms, and came up with the smiling face on the weirwood tree. (Smiling direwolf+weirwood tree=smiling weirwood tree) The direwolf's face looks like it's smiling on the Stark banner.

or she mixed the Stark and Blackwood arms, and came up with the smiling face on the weirwood tree. (Smiling direwolf+weirwood tree=smiling weirwood tree) The direwolf's face looks like it's smiling on the Stark banner.

Only on the show version of the banner is the direwolf's head to discern. The book version is a running direwolf.

I doubt that. It would draw unwanted attention. Not mentioning that she would harm Blackwoods by wearing their sigil on her shield. Also, we meet some Blackwoods, and there is no indication that they and Starks are that closely related, although it is a bit interesting that Raventree is the last castle with Stark banner...

It's still a crackpot theory, but it could explain why Bloodraven is helping Bran.

It's still a crackpot theory, but it could explain why Bloodraven is helping Bran.

It's actually a neat theory, but I don't think it has anything to do with why Bloodraven is helping Bran. There are much larger forces at play there. Children of the Forest, Greenseers, Old gods (maybe even literally). I think what matters in this case is that they are both from First Men families, not the names of the families.

Only on the show version of the banner is the direwolf's head to discern. The book version is a running direwolf.

I have to admit, I hate this... First, it was Lannister lion and rampant vs. passant and now Stark banner. And although I like aestetically TV banners (except of Baratheon banner which is awful), it creates visual confusion...

No, BR is helping Bran due to his greensight gift...

The mother of Rickard's wife is a lady of one of the mountain clans. I think it is very unlikely a Blackwood would have married her.

Not impossible, but, as you said, quite unlikely. After all, we have Mormont/Hightower marriage.

yes, not to mention that there are a lot of old shields that carry old sigils, like the one breinne carries (it had the black bat of whent and then she painted it with an even older sigil, the elm and the shooting star of Ser Duncan the tall)

also to shed light on your interest Mladen, raven tree surrendering last had more to do with the brackens surrendering early than with their ties to the starks,it's hinted in jamei's conversations

also to shed light on your interest Mladen, raven tree surrendering last had more to do with the brackens surrendering early than with their ties to the starks,it's hinted in jamei's conversations

I know what's hinted in Jaime's conversation, it just seems so odd that Raventree of all places, is the last one surrendering. It can mean nothing but still it's a strange little fact.

I know what's hinted in Jaime's conversation, it just seems so odd that Raventree of all places, is the last one surrendering. It can mean nothing but still it's a strange little fact.

i'd say it was because the throne had no blackwood hostages when lucas was killed, as well as tytos being a hard ass and the rivalry with the brackens, i think this gives us a bit of light

Archived