If Qhorin Halfhand could do it, wouldn't Jamie do it better?

Trueborn

This has probably been discussed and I was crapping myself about starting my first Topic, but here it goes!

So here it goes. Qhorin Halfhand lost his sword hand and learned to fight with his other hand and became of of the most feared men beyond the wall. Not much is mentioned of Halfhand before he lost his hand but consider this. Jamie is considered by most the best swordsman in the seven kingdoms. He loses his hand but is learning to fight with his weak hand. I never noticed this (or didn't pay attention to it) until my third read but my view is GRRM planted this for a reason. To suggest that if Halfhand did it, Jamie will master his left hand soon and once again become the fearsome Lion!

You may have a point, and I do think that with practice Jaime could still have some use of his other hand in a fight...but its not certain. Qhorin might have found it easier to use his other hand, he may even have been ambidextrous and honestly, I don't see Jaime becoming the swordsman he once was again.

We don't know how long it took Quorin to learn how to use his weaker hand, Jaime may not have enough time to learn to use his left hand before the books finish. although I do agree that given time he could eventually become a decent swordsman once again.

Even if it could happen, it would take Jaime years to learn to fight with his left hand, and even then he wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he was with his right. But like I Daario's man said, by then the story would have ended a long time ago.

There's no reason Jaime can't. Some people are naturally ambidextrous and Jaime is going to use his left hand for everything. In fantasy it happens often that the hero learns to use his left hand better than his right. Tyr and Maedhros are two famous examples. Qhorin is an example in the ASOIAF world that it is possible.

You can't compare losing three fingers to an entire hand. It takes two hands to wield a longsword properly. Qhorin could still use his Right hand, he just had to learn to make his Left hand dominant without a shield in the other. Jamie has a useless stump for a Right hand. Huge difference.

I highly doubt that Jaime will ever reach the level he was at before he lost his hand, but there's no reason why he can't at least get close to it. He's doing a fair bit of training, and is probably already better than the likes of Bouros Blount (not very high praise, but you get the point).

The other thing to consider is Qhorin really had no choice but to learn or die, Jamie's not exactly on par with a brother of the NW as far as survival is concerned. He still leads a fairly pampered life, very pampered compared to the Wall, and Payne isn't exactly going to kill him if he fails. But I think if he survives SH he could learn, if he focuses on that instead of just using the time to vent his problems to Illyn. Maybe Brienne would be able to help him better.

I don't think Qhorin's backstory is a coincidence.

If you consider the 5 year gap that was meant to be implemented in the story and the constant references to training with Ilyn Payne I think Jamie is going to have to fight at some point.

The Halfhand's story should allow Jamie to prevail without too many accusations of plot armor.

I guess he could. I mean, I'm no expert in the matter. But the way I see it, 90% of Jaime's habilities are in his brain. There's no reason why his left shouldn't be as good as the old one with enough time. I have no time to search for it now, but surely we have real life examples of people who lost the dominant hand. I'd like to know how long it took them to learn to do other stuff like writing etc.

It's curious how these things work. When you play the guitar, most of the difficulty is in your left hand (if you're right-handed). Yet that's how people play it and since you learn that from the beginning, you just get good with the left hand. If I try to play with the right hand, I just can't do it. Obviously it's not physical, since I use my right hand for all the other stuff and it's faster, stronger etc.

Anyway, I'm also not that into the whole medieval swordsmanship to know if you can fight properly without two hands.

ps. just looked it up and there are tutorials/exercises to practice and become ambidextrous. that's awesome. I'll try it. I mean... 5, 10 minutes a day. Even if it takes a long time, it's a great thing :)

Some people are naturally ambidextrous, and can learn to complete many tasks with their "off" hand; other people are extremely dominant with one hand and have trouble even doing the buttons up on their shirt with their off hand.

If seems to me that Jaime is very much of the right hand dominant type, wher Qhorin may well have been more ambidextrous. Plus, as pointed out above, Qhorin still had a semi functional right hand to assist with two handed grips in sword play, whereas Jaime has a stump only.

I think you also need to think about who the halfhand was, he devoted himself completely to the watch, i imagine that as soon as he lost his right hand he did nothing other than train with his left hand, while Jamie on the other hand (Pun intended) has a lot of other things to think about.

OP, nice first post on your part and welcome. :cheers:

I actually like the idea and I do not see why Jamie would not be able to do it. Jamie has been training the vast majority of his life, so he knows combat. I'm sure he has trained, with at least a shield with his other hand. It's not like the other hand, has been totally useless. In Feast, we have seen his desire to now train with the other hand, almost on a constant basis. I don't see it taking him very long, to become decent and capable, using a sword with his last hand.

To take the OP's topic further, and maybe tie some sort of correlation between the Halfhand and Jamie. I don't see it outside world of possibilities, that Jamie takes the Black, at the end of the series.

I always got the impression that young Jaime cared for nothing but his sword; and that is what made him so great.

Older Jaime is a different man. And I mean that in more ways than how long it takes him to count his hands.

not as much as young cersei cared for his sword

Archived