Why didn't Robert notice that his Valyrian steel dagger was missing?

KingInTheCave

I see, thanks. But it still seems a little far fetched that no one would notice it even after they returned to KL, whoever was in charge of the armory should have looked for it. About 200 in the seven kingdoms is still not a huge number, and if Tywin couldn't buy one with all his gold, we can safely assume that they are extremely difficult to acquire.

Yes, but again, this is something etremely rare and even Tywin couldn't buy, no matter how drunk or stupid you are, someone must be keeping track of your VL daggers.

Well, after all Joffrey was the crown prince, he could've had unlimited access to the armory, and I doubt that anyone would object to the cp taking a dagger from his father's armory/weapon stash, but i doubt that there was an accountant documenting which weapons are taken, especially when the king and his entourage are on the road.

I can actually kind of find the answer to the OP too from the same Tyrion chapter I've been quoting.

If you have need of a dagger, take one from the armory. Robert left a hundred when he died. Gerion gave him a gilded dagger with an ivory grip and a sapphire pommel for a wedding gift, and half the envoys who came to court tried to curry favor by presenting His Grace with jewel-encrusted knives and silver inlay swords ... The only blade he ever used was the hunting knife he had from Jon Arryn, when he was a boy.

It seems like he had an abundance of fancy knives in which he wasn't too interested in, the valyrian steel one would had just been one fancy knife among other's for him.

As Humble Master already quoted, Robert had a hundred daggers he didn't care about. And Joffrey unlimited access.

Furthermore, Valyrian Steel daggers are somewhat "common", at least in comparison to the ~200 swords and in no way as prestigious.

Which begs the question why didn't Tywin ever just buy one. I mean he's the richest man in Westeros, and every man has a price.

Family swords can't be bought for mere money. A dagger would be something entirely different, but having a dagger as the family symbol woud be worse than nothing. Can you imagine all the jokes about the Lannisters and their "big weapons" or something like that?

I have been wondering this also: if the Valyrian steel blades are so rare and not even Tywin has succeeded in finding one (before Ice), how is this possible?

And also the fact that Ned Stark's bastard boy was able to have one made for his little sister without his father knowing it?

By the way, the wiki don't list Needle. I could swore that it was made of Valyrian steel. Am I mistaken?

I can actually kind of find the answer to the OP too from the same Tyrion chapter I've been quoting.

It seems like he had an abundance of fancy knives in which he wasn't too interested in, the valyrian steel one would had just been one fancy knife among other's for him.

And it really wasn't that fancy unless you looked at it closely. Dragon bone is black and VS doesn't shine like good steel. Nothing that would draw the eye compared to a jewel encrusted dagger.

That's why Joffery gave it to the catspaw. It looked plain compared to the others.

Joffery wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Sorry couldn't resist.

I believe in Quentyn's chapter he says there's a couple of hundred Valyrian steel blades in Westeros, maybe a thousand total on Essos.

What's more interesting is that the wiki lists A pair of Valyrian Sphinxes that guarded the door of the Small Council chamber. Why did Tywin melt those and make a sword out of them?

Because perhaps they weren't Valyrian steel, but simply Valrian-style sphinxes. Valryian steel is pretty much Damascus steel with magic. You have to have the right metal and person to make it.

I have been wondering this also: if the Valyrian steel blades are so rare and not even Tywin has succeeded in finding one (before Ice), how is this possible?

And also the fact that Ned Stark's bastard boy was able to have one made for his little sister without his father knowing it?

By the way, the wiki don't list Needle. I could swore that it was made of Valyrian steel. Am I mistaken?

Nope, It's just castle forged steel. Nothing special. When Arya leaves King's Landing with NW, alot of people question how she got castle forged steel.

It actually makes sense that he wouldn't notice as he's not in the habit of regularly retrieving them for a look - he's very different from Scrooge McDuck in almost every way imaginable. If he had someone in charge of the portable armoury, that person would certainly have noticed though. However, he might not have remarked on the Prince retrieving a weapon.

It's IMO odder that he, for some (non-plot-based) reason, brought along those weapons at all.

yeap.

well there you go. Next topic...

Nope, It's just castle forged steel. Nothing special. When Arya leaves King's Landing with NW, alot of people question how she got castle forged steel.

Oops.. You're right. It surely is more reasonable. It was probably just that a lot of people wondered the sword of hers, that's why I was mistaken. Thanks to You and David Selig for pointing out that.

Archived