Can some one help me understand Jon's Dream

Muggle

Does Bran know about Jons true parents then?

No, Bran didn't remember exactly just that it was disturbing. The truth surrounding Jon's birth is disturbing, and I don't think Jon will take it well, as Apple Martini said, it will be a subversion of the trope of a main character rejoicing at finding out his special (royal or divine) heritage.

Just to play the Devil's Advocate:

I scream that I'm not a Stark, that this isn't my place, but it's no good, I have to go anyways, so I start down feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream.

This is Jon denying his being a Stark (and he's a bastard and says repeatedly he is a Snow not a Stark-in particular the scene where they found the wolf pups) and that the crypts are not his place-they are the place of the Starks-yet he descends even though it isn't his place, suggesting that even though he is a Snow, not a Stark, he will still belong amongst them as Rob's legitimate heir to Winterfell by his decree. No torch to light the way might suggest that Robb isn't there to tell him exactly what he wants to have happen, and doesn't have Ned to guide him, so he has to do the best he can hoping he is following what they would want. It gets darker and darker could reference either the Nights getting longer, or that Jon's life in particular get darker - learning Arya isn't really Arya, more people he cares about coming to harm, or any number of horrible things that can happen to him.

jon can't be lord of winterfell or king in the north with bran and rickon still alive. i think his dream def foreshadows that he will eventually learn about his mother. neds sister lyanna and brother brandon were both buried down there even though they werent kings of the north or lords of winterfell.

This got me thinking, is every dream in Westeros foreshadowing of something?

I used to wonder this, but do we really see that many dreams? One is Ned's, when he's in the Red Keep's dungeon, but I think that's more a normal type dream that anyone might have, mixed in with memories. Don't think that one is prophecy. One is Bran's, because of the TEC, so there's an explanation for that. Another is Dany's, and I think it's said that Targs have some sort of prophetic ability? And finally there's Jon, who I used to wonder whether his dreams are really supposed to be something to pay attention to, that maybe they're just dreams... except then I remembered that he has Targ blood (probably) also, which means that he very well could have inherited the same prophetic capabilities that Dany has, though his don't appear to be as strong. Or, being a Stark, as someone else suggested this could also be the TEC's interference. But I think I lean more toward the Targ influence, because I think Bloodraven's interference wrt Jon comes in the form of Mormont's raven, not Jon's dreams.

I used to wonder this, but do we really see that many dreams? One is Ned's, when he's in the Red Keep's dungeon, but I think that's more a normal type dream that anyone might have, mixed in with memories. Don't think that one is prophecy. One is Bran's, because of the TEC, so there's an explanation for that. Another is Dany's, and I think it's said that Targs have some sort of prophetic ability? And finally there's Jon, who I used to wonder whether his dreams are really supposed to be something to pay attention to, that maybe they're just dreams... except then I remembered that he has Targ blood (probably) also, which means that he very well could have inherited the same prophetic capabilities that Dany has, though his don't appear to be as strong. Or, being a Stark, as someone else suggested this could also be the TEC's interference. But I think I lean more toward the Targ influence, because I think Bloodraven's interference wrt Jon comes in the form of Mormont's raven, not Jon's dreams.

Jaime and Cersei had dreams too.

Besides foreshadowing, I always thought guilt was a component of Jon's dreams. He wants to be the lord of Winterfell and have that status and acclaim rather than be a bastard and NW brother. But that is Robb's place and then (as far he knows) Sansa's. He doesn't want harm to come to his siblings, but he wants their privilege.

Only Lords of Winterfell are buried in the Crypts. Ned made an exception for Lyanna and Brandon.

In GoT Ned says there are empty tombs for him and his children.

Arya remembers Robb showing them their tombs in the crypts when Jon jumps out to scare them.

All Starks are hurried in the crypts. Ned make an exception for Lyanna when he had a statue carved for her, not by burying her there.

I definitely don't think all dreams in the series are foreshadowing something, some are "just" dreams, important because of what they reveal about a characters subconscious desires, insecurities etc. A dream like this though, I think is a combination of both. It hints at the truth to be found in the crypts, and the old forces that many people think are active deep down in the lower levels, as well as Jon's sense of being an outsider as a Stark.

He is a targ, and does not belong there - confirms he should be LC and not lord of winterfell

No, as Maester Aemon said, he is a son of Winterfell. What's important here is that Jon's mother was Lyanna Stark which is why he belongs to the old gods, just as Bloodraven is sitting inside a tree not because his father was a Targaryen but because his mother was a Blackwood.

In GoT Ned says there are empty tombs for him and his children.

Arya remembers Robb showing them their tombs in the crypts when Jon jumps out to scare them.

All Starks are hurried in the crypts. Ned make an exception for Lyanna when he had a statue carved for her, not by burying her there.

Its not just the staute - she and brandon both have stautes and are interred in the part of the crypts that house the Kings of Winter and the lords of Winterfell. She is put in a special place where no other Stark women has ever been buried.

Its not just the staute - she and brandon both have stautes and are interred in the part of the crypts that house the Kings of Winter and the lords of Winterfell. She is put in a special place where no other Stark women has ever been buried.

"They're not supposed to have statues, that's only for the lods and the kings, but my father loved them so much he had them done."

"A sad tale," said Osha, "but those holes are sadder."

"Lord Eddard's tomb, for when the time comes," Maester Luwin said.

And we know from Ned's chapter in book one that his children's tombs are next to his. I'm pretty sure it's just the statue part.

no - when theon is in the Crypts its all kings of winter in a row, then lords of winterfell, then benjen and Lyanna. No kids are mentioned. No kids tombs are mentioned. No wives tombs are mentioned. Maybe they are there but they are not mentioned.

Archived