Does Jaime know about R+L=J?

Lazy Lion

As a member of Aerys' KG, Jaime would be privy to almost anything happening in KL, perhaps including Rhaegar and Lyanna.

I was rereading again and came across a passage near the end of CoK, where captive Jaime is talking to Catelyn:

"That name again. I don't think I'll fuck you after all, Littlefinger had you first, didn't he? I never eat off another man's trencher. Besides, you're not half so lovely as my sister." His smile cut. "I've never lain with any woman but Cersei. In my own way, I have been truer to her than your Ned ever was. Poor old dead Ned. So who has shit for honor now, I ask you? What was the name of that bastard he fathered?"

Catelyn took a step backward. "Brienne."

"No, that wasn't it." Jaime Lannister upended his flagon. A trickle ran onto his face, bright as blood. "Snow, that was the one. Such a white name...like the pretty cloaks they give us in the Kingsguard when we swear our pretty oaths."

I don't for a second think that Jaime believed Littlefinger's claim to bedding Cat (Tyrion didn't, at any rate.), so clearly he was just drilling for a nerve. Was the bit about Ned fathering a bastard nothing more than another jab? It makes sense to pair his (stained) white cloak with Ned's bastard son, speaking about honor. But he never said a word about it to Ned himself, despite Ned's obvious views about Jaime's (lack of) honor.

My reread has since taken me through most of SoS, and I've been looking for any mention in Jaime's chapters about Jon Snow...but nothing. On the one hand this is hardly suspicious: why would he be thinking about a dead man's bastard on the Wall? But there was also nothing to dispel my suspicion.

I dunno; maybe I've been reading too many theories pages, but my spidey sense is tingling... :dunno:

I don't think Jaime knows about R+L=J. He'd have mentioned it either to Brienne in Harrenhal or maybe thinking about it when he remembers his last moments with Rhaegar.

Everyone in the Red Keep knew that Rhaegar had "abducted" Lyanna, so Jaime would obviously know about them, but not about Jon's true parentage.

I don't think Jaime knows about R+L=J. He'd have mentioned it either to Brienne in Harrenhal or maybe thinking about it when he remembers his last moments with Rhaegar.

Everyone in the Red Keep knew that Rhaegar had "abducted" Lyanna, so Jaime would obviously know about them, but not about Jon's true parentage.

We don't know that they thought he abdudcted her. They might have known that she went with him willingly.

We don't know that they thought he abdudcted her. They might have known that she went with him willingly.

I think only at that time Ser Arthur, Oswell and then later on Ser Gerold knew she went willingly.

I hope he finds out and in a repeat I history he takes the place of Criston Cole the Kingmaker and crowns Jon

I think he'll find out about Jon and support him instead of Cersei for King.

But then, he didn't trust Barristan, Jaime, Martell, and Darry or Derry, I don't remember his name.

Ser Arthur and Whent were close friends that helped him "abduct" Lyanna, so they knew from the start, and then Ser Gerold had to be told so he could stay at the Tower of Joy.

I think he only told people who were very close to him personally (except Aerys).

Jaime is too self-centered to think about such things. Hell, after he gets Edmure to surrender Riverrun, he isn't thinking about all the lives he saved, but about showing up his aunt for implying he wasn't Tywin's son.

I think the Dayne siblings, Oswell, Elia, and Benjen knew that Lyanna went willingly. Maybe, Lonmouth and Rhaegar's other squire as well.

From Jaimes wiki page.

As Robert's Rebellion grew, Aerys refused to let Jaime join the royal army, instead keeping him in King's Landing to be used as a potential hostage against Lord Tywin, who had yet to choose a side in the conflict. Aerys appointed several Hands throughout the war, but never invited Tywin to take up his old office. Eventually Jaime was the only White Cloak in the capital.

The last line says quite a bit.He doesn't know. He likes to talk and would have used this information, as others have stated. Jaime is Kingsguard and Aerys kept him close, a hostage. I think it becomes a safe assumption that Jaime and Rhaegar interacted on a fairly limited basis due to this, and the fact that Rhaegar was known as a traveler for reasons such as tourneys, visiting the ruins, checking out talent, etc...

Jaime doesn't know. The last piece to the puzzle would be that if he did know, he would be seeking Jon out right now to maintain his honor, or be killed by him (possibly..) Basically pulling a Selmy.

No one in Westeros was inside Ned's head the way we were.

Still, the general knowledge among the Westerosi nobility is:

Rhaegar and Lyanna were somewhere off sexing for some months

Super honorable Ned Stark came back from the south with an infant bastard and the corpse of his sister

I am not saying it should be somehow obvious, but the idea apparently never really occuring to anyone is a little bit weird

Jaime doesn't know. The last piece to the puzzle would be that if he did know, he would be seeking Jon out right now to maintain his honor, or be killed by him (possibly..) Basically pulling a Selmy.

You have a point there. If new-personality, one-handed Jaime knew Jon was Rhaegar's son, that information would be too important to do...well, nothing with.

And if his reading/pointing out to Loras about the Kingmaker is a clue as to his intentions toward Jon, he's certainly taking his dear sweet time making a move, isn't he?

Archived