Brienne will kill Stannis

Dead Wolf

So everyone is saying roose or ramsay will kill stannis in the battle of winterfell, but in ACOK brienne swears to kill stannis. So im gonna say that stannis wins the battle and marches south to the riverlands. Lady Stoneheart might know about blood magic from thoros so she could order brienne to kill stannis if she remembers breinne's vow. Stannis dies and the Others invade. Thoughts?

A bold idea. Not impossible.

I think Stannis has a good chance of heading for the Twins once he secures WF, and might run into Brienne on the way. But I find it unlikely he will be caught away from his army, or that Brienne will find one equal to his. She may be taken prisoner, or decide to let her vengeance wait another day and ride around. Or there could be some nice tension as Stannis entertains the BWB, with Brienne present.

I still think Stannis falls to the Others. Brienne I am at a loss for.

So everyone is saying roose or ramsay will kill stannis in the battle of winterfell, but in ACOK brienne swears to kill stannis. So im gonna say that stannis wins the battle and marches south to the riverlands. Lady Stoneheart might know about blood magic from thoros so she could order brienne to kill stannis if she remembers breinne's vow. Stannis dies and the Others invade. Thoughts?

It certainly is a new theory. I don't think it that plausible though. We have no indication that Stannis won't head back to the Wall to fight the real enemy/attempt to sort the chaos at the Wall (this presumes he survives the Battle of Ice). Stannis is surrounded by his troops. Brienne's story line definitely seems aimed at RW 2.0 courtesy of Stoneheart and her merry band of vengeful folks. How would Stoneheart be aware of blood magic? We have no evidence Thoros does. He freely admits he did not pay much attention while the temple. Stannis is a goner--I just don't see it as being courtesy of Brienne.

In the third book, Ser Loras accuses Brienne of murdering Renly, and to resolve the dispute between them Jaime has Brienne arrested and taken to a cell to be examined by Loras. After their confrontation, Loras determines that Brienne is innocent.

I think something like that might happen again, with Brienne examining Stannis, and the outcome may depend on whether or not Stannis believes that he is responsible for Renly's death and whether he is able to tolerate Brienne sitting in judgment over him in any form.

One slight problem (ish). This is Robert's brother. He's a big chap. He is not going to be a pushover, and Brienne is too honourable to cheat. Oathkeeper and Stannis's forced slimming program would give her an advantage, but it wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

And that's leaving aside how she gets past all of his men to kill him. Mel would probably spot her coming a mile off too.

One slight problem (ish). This is Robert's brother. He's a big chap. He is not going to be a pushover, and Brienne is too honourable to cheat. Oathkeeper and Stannis's forced slimming program would give her an advantage, but it wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

And that's leaving aside how she gets past all of his men to kill him. Mel would probably spot her coming a mile off too.

She beat Jaime & Loras handedly... she's one of the best sword fighters in Westeros. If it was a 1:1 dual I would take Brienne all day long, Brienne is like 6'6" to boot.

As to the OP, I would LOVE to see Brienne get the vengence she desires, but with so many people slighted by Stannis there's a lot of people that 'deserve' similar vengence, plus Stannis was already punished for Renly's death at Blackwater, it doesn't seem likely he'll be punished again 3-4 books later. My guess is he'll instead pay for burning the Weirwoods and forcing people to foresake their gods for the red god. He's done it throughout the books and has yet to have anything happen to him for it, and has acually been rewarded more often than not. This will be his undoing IMO, though I'd love to see a Brienne/Stannis battle royale... in a bear pit... with snakes :P

I think this is likely, though under what circumstances I don't know.

Basically, it will finally make Stannis pay for the crime of murdering his brother. As Stannis himself says, the good does not erase the bad, nor the bad the good. One still has to pay for your crimes, even if you do good deeds thereafter. Like Davos losing his fingers.

Stannis still has to pay for his kinslaying, and Brienne is thematically the correct person to bring this plotthread full circle.

Also, this would make Brienne the definite kingslayer in Westeros history, as some people believe she already killed Renly.

Would have a nice touch of coming full circle with her name tainted in the history books and only Jaime Lannister knowing what a honorable person she really is.

I like it.

She beat Jaime & Loras handedly... she's one of the best sword fighters in Westeros. If it was a 1:1 dual I would take Brienne all day long, Brienne is like 6'6" to boot.

Jaime was chained and had spent a year in a dungeon. Loras was (probably, we don't know if one of the other 114 knights had wounded either of them) a fair fight though. And while she may be 6 foot 6, the Baratheon brothers aren't exactly short, easily over 6 foot each. Brienne is probably currently in better health though. So while I would give the fight as the characters are now to Brienne, it won't be certain. Hells we thought the Viper/Mountain fight was a dead cert for Gregor until it started, then a dead cert for Oberyn. Look how that turned out.

Still won't help her avoid Mel's gaze though. ('One does not simply walk into Mordor Stannis's camp. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs northmen. There is evil a red woman there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye red woman is ever watchful.' Boromir Ned Stark Some dude?)

As for the last bit, why did it have to be snakes?

Stannis still has to pay for his kinslaying, and Brienne is thematically the correct person to bring this plotthread full circle.

I say he did already with the "return" of Renly's ghost and his loss at the Blackwater.

How would Mel interpret Brienne if she saw her in the flames? Probably wrongly.

Also Brienne's greatest asset is that people underestimate her so she won't have a lot of trouble getting close to Stannis.

Jaime was chained and had spent a year in a dungeon. Loras was (probably, we don't know if one of the other 114 knights had wounded either of them) a fair fight though. And while she may be 6 foot 6, the Baratheon brothers aren't exactly short, easily over 6 foot each. Brienne is probably currently in better health though. So while I would give the fight as the characters are now to Brienne, it won't be certain.

As for the last bit, why did it have to be snakes?

Jaime is one of the best swordsmen ever in history. Even with chained hands he should be able to beat all but the best. The point about how big she is was just to show that Stannis' size would not be a factor in his favor.

And the last bit... were you meaning to quote Indiana Jones? Snakes were thrown in for fun.

I hate Stannis but I wouldn't mind him ending up in the nights watch as lord commander

It's right up his alley, freaky and oppressive rules and carrying out his "justice" with impunity

Only thing I worry about is in less than a year half the men would be burned alive or missing a head

The rest would be missing fingers and various body parts

Archived