Why so big gold/silver rate in Westeros?

Jaak

We know the exchange ratio between dragons and stags (210).1

We know the weight of a stag because this was revealed when stags were issued into circulation on Earth2. 2,3 g. Meaning a dragon is worth 483 g silver.

And now we also know the weight of a dragon, also because it is about to be circulated on Earth2. 16,9 g. Meaning gold/silver ratio of about 28,6.

1. Well, from a semi-canon source. I wouldn't overvalue that info.

2. Are these supposed to be teleported from Westeros? If their purity turns out to be quite high, would we conclude that Westerosi smelting techniques are unrealistically advanced? On that note, can we just buy a replica of Longclaw and know how quick a Valyrian steel weapon is, exactly? I assume the natural answer to all those questions is "No, it's a merchandise product which is cool but does not create canon."

As with most, if not all, fantasy work, GRRM didn't put that much of an effort in developing the economy of his world because the books aren't about inflation, exchange rates, wages, etc. So, if we look deep into the economy, it starts to fall apart. Which isn't really that bad. The time figuring out every detail of the economy is, IMHO, better used to write about the actual plot.

Did you know that pre-conquest of South America, silver was MORE valuable than gold?

The Spanish dumped the European markets with silver and ever since it has been worth less.

Just FYI....so thats why I find the currency situation in Westeros hilarious as it is obviously written from the perspective of a modern person, rather than from a time accurate viewpoint (not to mention, we hear tons about gold mining, from Lannisters, but nothing about silver....weird lol).

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Mr Monopoly, I really don't get the feeling that a gold dragon is worth 210 silver stags. 21 stags to a dragon seems more like it IMO.

I also feel that the wiki overvalue the dragon compared to the USD/Euro and so on. They say 1 Dragon = $17,222. That sounds way too much to me. Remember the tournament of the hand? First prize was 40 000 dragons. That is 689 million USD then! No wonder people were coming out of the woodwork to compete. And remember when Cersei negotiated for the church to scratch the 900 000 dragons the crown owed the faith? That was was over 15 billion USD! No wonder she was so happy with herself!

If you lower the value of the dragon to $1,722, these numbers would be much more reasonable. At least that is what I think. But maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are instances where $1,722 for a dragon is way to cheap. I can't think of any though. Can you? I dare you to prove me wrong! :drunk:

Martin certainly got some of his prices wrong.

It's easiest for me to think of a Dragon as being worth an English Pound Sterling, in 1400, with a Stag being worth slightly more than one silver Penny. Dunk thought he could live quite well for a year, on 750 Stags, which would tie in quite well with that.

Did you know that pre-conquest of South America, silver was MORE valuable than gold?

The Spanish dumped the European markets with silver and ever since it has been worth less.

Just FYI....so thats why I find the currency situation in Westeros hilarious as it is obviously written from the perspective of a modern person, rather than from a time accurate viewpoint (not to mention, we hear tons about gold mining, from Lannisters, but nothing about silver....weird lol).

Time accurate viewpoint? What are you talking about? It's a different freaking world, their timeline is different from ours, their geography is different from ours. And we don't hear tons about gold mining, it's mentioned here and there, but nothing significant and practically no other gold mines besides the Lannister gold mines are mentioned in the books, so why should silver mines be mentioned?

Archived