Daenerys has made some good and bad decisions but the reasoning behind some of them is ridiculous

StannisBamfatheon

She ignores the counsel of people better suited to advising and makes her own rash and sometimes poor decisions, she has proved an ineffective ruler of Mereen.

To be fair, there are a lot of people on her council - each with different ideas ranging from normal to barbaric (killing 'hostages'). Her decisions were sometimes fueled by emotion, yes, but she really only 'crossed' the line twice. Her decision to abolish slavery might have ruined Meereen's economy, but what would you prefer? Basic civil rights or a few hundred money hungry, pyramid dwelling, child murdering, fat cats?

LMAO this thread is just desperate.

Dany makes the decision to trust Daario and clearly finds him attractive, but there is no evidence that she trusts him because he is attractive. He brought her the heads of the other leaders of the Stormcrows, and there was extremely little chance of 1000 sellswords beating Daenerys in the first place... There was very little reason to assume he was faking. And, so far, trusting Daario was a good decision.

But why did the OP not mention anything about Jorah? He was reluctant to trust any man around Daenerys because of his own lust and jealousy... But apparently that's absolutely fine? :rolleyes:

Well, I am a Dany fan, but I disagree here. Her motives / judgments are not purely one or the other, they are mixed. The attractiveness factor does seep in there, tainting her judgments. You say there is no evidence? Dany even acknowledges in her own thoughts that Daario being in her life is bad for her, and that he cannot be trusted.

It's not the only instance - after all, Quentyn Martell was too much "mud" for her, though politically, he could have been the key to her ultimate goal (and a convenient way out of the Meereen situation). Too late yes, but also too plain for her to think of him as a mate.

Dany is not the only character who has this failure of judgement happen to them.

Dany makes the decision to trust Daario and clearly finds him attractive, but there is no evidence that she trusts him because he is attractive. He brought her the heads of the other leaders of the Stormcrows, and there was extremely little chance of 1000 sellswords beating Daenerys in the first place... There was very little reason to assume he was faking. And, so far, trusting Daario was a good decision.

But why did the OP not mention anything about Jorah? He was reluctant to trust any man around Daenerys because of his own lust and jealousy... But apparently that's absolutely fine? :rolleyes:

Ahhh Patrick stormborn, when someone insults Daenerys your dark mark burns, and you must answer the call. Not sure what Jorah has to do with any of this besides being a straw-man. She trusts him because she is a naive girl (who knows so little of the ways of war!) and falls for his braggadocio, looks, and charm. Seriously he demonstrated his loyalty by killing his fellow officers. Trusting a man like that is folly. Seriously if daario was not attractive(which by the way we should test Daenerys for blindness) she clearly would have been less interested in his services. It also states in the text that should the Stormcrows turn their cloaks and take her troops unaware the battle could go against her so it is a big deal.

Ahhh Patrick stormborn, when someone insults Daenerys your dark mark burns, and you must answer the call. Not sure what Jorah has to do with any of this besides being a straw-man. She trusts him because she is a naive girl (who knows so little of the ways of war!) and falls for his braggadocio, looks, and charm. Seriously he demonstrated his loyalty by killing his fellow officers. Trusting a man like that is folly. Seriously if daario was not attractive(which by the way we should test Daenerys for blindness) she clearly would have been less interested in his services. It also states in the text that should the Stormcrows turn their cloaks and take her troops unaware the battle could go against her so it is a big deal.

I am only a young reader and know little of the ways of warcraft, so perhaps a more experienced reader could explain to me how 1000 sellswords could ever hope to defeat 8000+ Unsullied. Clearly the Stormcrows feigning turning their cloaks could prove very dangerous for Dany's army, but Jorah is certainly exaggerating. Part of the reason they attacked when they did was because the Second Sons would be drunk and unprepared, and they knew from the beginning that they would win the battle; the issue was winning with as little blood shed as possible.

Why is Jorah relevant? Because you used his dialogue to demonstrate why Daenerys is wrong. But Jorah has his own biases that cloud his judgement of the men around Daenerys.

Well, I am a Dany fan, but I disagree here. Her motives / judgments are not purely one or the other, they are mixed. The attractiveness factor does seep in there, tainting her judgments. You say there is no evidence? Dany even acknowledges in her own thoughts that Daario being in her life is bad for her, and that he cannot be trusted.

It's not the only instance - after all, Quentyn Martell was too much "mud" for her, though politically, he could have been the key to her ultimate goal (and a convenient way out of the Meereen situation). Too late yes, but also too plain for her to think of him as a mate.

Dany is not the only character who has this failure of judgement happen to them.

At this point, is there any evidence that Dany is trusting Daario primarily because she is attracted to him? Not as far as I can see. Dany gives Jorah a reason to trust him, and then also thinks that he "has blue eyes". If she didn't have any other reason to trust him, I'd agree with the OP. However, as I pointed out, trusting him makes sense, considering that he brought her the heads of his fellow captains... And, more importantly, there is more to be gained by fighting for Daenerys anyway (how long will the Yunkai'i continue to pay the Stormcrows once their only enemy is defeated? Not very long, I'd imagine).

The bottom line is that Dany saw something in Daario, took a chance, and it paid off. It's called being a leader.

And as for your assessment of the Quentyn situation... I think you should take another look at it. You're taking Barristan Selmy's views at face value, but missing the fact that he is deeply prejudiced against the Meereenese and sees Dany ruling in Meereen as temporary, whilst she herself sees it (unknowingly at first) as permanent and begins to forget about Westeros. That's why she rejects Quentyn, not because he was "too much mud for her".

Like you said: Dany is not the only character to make bad decisions due to a failure of judgement. That's why I find this thread so ridiculous.

It's not the only instance - after all, Quentyn Martell was too much "mud" for her, though politically, he could have been the key to her ultimate goal (and a convenient way out of the Meereen situation).

Dany is too invested in Meereen to go to Westeros at that moment. Had he come after the Yunkai an co incident, it might have turned out differently.

Seriously if daario was not attractive(which by the way we should test Daenerys for blindness) she clearly would have been less interested in his services.

Oooohhh yes of course! Because Ben, Barristan, the Green Grace, Quaithe and Jorah are oh so dreamy! Come on, she trusts plenty of people more than she should - it doesn't only have to do with looks.

I am only a young reader and know little of the ways of warcraft, so perhaps a more experienced reader could explain to me how 1000 sellswords could ever hope to defeat 8000+ Unsullied.

They couldn't. In fact, they'd throw down their swords and run away rather than facing the Unsullied. I can't imagine how sellswords could be considered such a threat, when they routinely switch sides depending on the most certain victory. (Dany wasn't going to lose. At all.)

If the Stormcrows were bluffing (which they weren't) they must have been really dedicated to fooling Dany seeing as they killed two of their captains to take her in. That's hardcore.

Seriously though, if she rejects Daario she will certainly be fighting them in the battle, so letting him show the proof of his loyalty and sending him back was a smart decision either way. Jorah was actually being too much mistrustful there when Daario seemed to have done all he could to demonstrate he was going to flip his banners.

I am only a young reader and know little of the ways of warcraft, so perhaps a more experienced reader could explain to me how 1000 sellswords could ever hope to defeat 8000+ Unsullied. Clearly the Stormcrows feigning turning their cloaks could prove very dangerous for Dany's army, but Jorah is certainly exaggerating. Part of the reason they attacked when they did was because the Second Sons would be drunk and unprepared, and they knew from the beginning that they would win the battle; the issue was winning with as little blood shed as possible.

Why is Jorah relevant? Because you used his dialogue to demonstrate why Daenerys is wrong. But Jorah has his own biases that cloud his judgement of the men around Daenerys.

But I don't disagree with that, Jorah is in the wrong and dissuades her from trusting other men cause he's into her. But that doesn't really have anything to do with my OP. If the Stormcrows don't side with her then the element of surprise is lost. LIkewise it wasn't just the sellswords. There were also 5000 yunkish soldiers. It would have been very costly victory if Daenerys trust was misplaced. She may have gotten her take on Daario right but her reasons were suspect. She is and remains a poor judge of people and she's made that abundantly clear numerous times.

But I don't disagree with that, Jorah is in the wrong and dissuades her from trusting other men cause he's into her. But that doesn't really have anything to do with my OP. If the Stormcrows don't side with her then the element of surprise is lost. LIkewise it wasn't just the sellswords. There were also 5000 yunkish soldiers. It would have been very costly victory if Daenerys trust was misplaced. She may have gotten her take on Daario right but her reasons were suspect. She is and remains a poor judge of people and she's made that abundantly clear numerous times.

I don't have time to look through the book for quotes right now, but can you remember more or less how many losses Dany took? IIRC it wasn't even a hundred. So how mediocre are the Yunkish soldiers really? Like I said, mercenaries pick the side surest to win, much like Ben.

You're taking Barristan Selmy's views at face value

That is actually one of the times where the reader should look at a character's opinion and consider for a moment that he/she is probably right. Much like danm posted earlier about Tyrion's assessment of Brown Ben Plumm. Its pretty telling when the Yes-Man actually naysays against Dany, ya know? So far in the story, Selmy appears to just go along with the ride and serves Dany rather blindly, but he actually goes "...wut..." at that instance. Its a red flag, mate.

While Daario has not proved to be a dirty fucker in terms of loyalties just yet, i understand why the OP goes "da hell?" Sellswords by nature are a somewhat treacherous bunch. They side with the one who dishes out the most cash. Without fail. Dany certainly has issues with judging a person's character. She takes people's appearances at face value a lot of the time and that has cost her dearly. Mirri Maz Duur comes to mind. The Green Grace is another example. Its likely (by miles) that she is indeed the Harpy. But Dany trusts her because "oh look! Sweet old lady!" Unlike Olenna, The Green Grace doesnt snark that much and gives some of the game away.

Its fair to say that some other characters have the same problem. Sansa is one, but she learned from those seemingly good or pretty people burning her repeatedly. So she no longer takes a person's appearance at face value.

'Jon of the Dead' wrote:

Hmm, ok, I'll play

I think Daario was just a plot device to make Dany look more immature so she could make some bad decisions.

=============================================================================================

The same could be said for Ygritte and Jon. Dany and Jon are both very young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. But GRRM says that being a bastard has made Jon very observant, which obviously serves him well. Plus he had wise adults around him who could school and shape him to live the active life. And he was trained militarily by Rodrik Cassell, Jory, etc. Dany had no advisers other than her twisted brother. It was only Jorah who tried to shape her to lead and rule...and love was involved there too. Frankly, I think Dany is doing quite well for a young, impressionable girl making her way in a very very dangerous world.

This is how I read it as well, It's clear Dany thinks Daario is a dreamboat but I didn't get the vibe that was why she trusted him. It was a gamble that paid off is all.

I

Ha ha, Dark Mark. Anyway, Daario proved his loyalty to Dany by killing the other captains who wanted to kill her. Her reasoning for trusting him isn't Just because she thinks he is good looking, it is because of those heads.

it is because of those heads.

Dem dreamy blue eyes certainly helped Dany go "Lets have this guy on my team!"

I dunno, i think i would have side-eyed a guy for bringing me the heads of his comrades. Just a bit. If hes willing to do that for the right price, what would he be willing to do if someone ELSE offered the right price? Ya know?

Dany has made plenty of questionable decisions, but as the outcome clearly demonstrates, relying on Daario was not one of them. He may not stay loyal forever, but outside Yunkai Dany did just fine. PS and MysteriousOne have pretty much explained why.

If the Stormcrows were bluffing (which they weren't) they must have been really dedicated to fooling Dany seeing as they killed two of their captains to take her in. That's hardcore.

Hahaha!

Dany is dealing with dangerous, untrustworthy people all the time in very dangerous situation. It's part of the job description. She has to take some risks, and accepting Stormcrows was rather small one. She knows very well that Daario is not the most trustworthy guy. If she waits until she meets some super trustworthy sellswords, she might as well not go to war. At least they served her better than Roose served Robb who made him leader, or Vargo Hoat served Tywin.

As for blue dreamy eyes, this line is just there to show us her growing attraction to Daario.

Archived