What has been a subtle moment that has made you sad?

nillingar

I swear to God just reading that made my eyes tear up. That particular detail breaks my heart into a million pieces every time.

it really does. It just shows how people are just people in the end, even when broken, mutated or castrated, we still crave love and affection :crying:

Arya brooding on Mycah's death ...

... And no one had raised a voice or drawn a blade or anything, not Harwin who talked so bold or Alyn who wanted to be a knight or Jory who was the captain of the guard. Not even her father.

"He was my friend," Arya whispered into her plate, so low that no one could hear.

Brutal scene. A child understands real injustice for the first time. A girl takes a step towards the Many Faced God.

When Arya wonders if her lady mother would still want her back after the things she has done.

Sad, yes. A bit of childish fear, but Arya knows how harsh her actions are too. She has blood on her hands.

First came to immediate mind was Penny. Parts of ADWD was really a downer due to her segments :frown5:

Worst part was the description of her and her remaining friends, the pig and the dog, still thinking of performances, worried about her animals wellbeing because she is the only one who could protect them. But no one gives a damn about that, they just want to eat them, and in the end they do butcher them - if I remember correctly, even parading the poor dogs head.

It was really depressing for me, for some reason. Overall her whole arc is sad.

Yeah, Penny is a sad case. She deserved none of her suffering. I do not get why people dislike Penny in the story so much.

She's just a normal person, as dwarves go. She is not someone equipped to deal with her tormentors, and she fears big people for how they treat dwaves already. She's young and naive too, and though she's travelled a lot, she is not some worldly and cunning highborn lady. She does her best to entertain, and by doing so, not starve. Being hunted, having friends and family get killed in some dwarf-genocide - she understands prejudice already, but not this amount of murderous greed and hatred.

Penny makes for good contrast. Tyrion is well-acquanited with horror - she is not.

The Unsullied who goes to a brothel to cuddle.

Yeah, that was sad, in a pathetic way. No feelings, my ass. They know what they have lost by being what they are.

The reforging of Ice, no question. I have never felt so sick to my stomach.

Agreed. Reading that made me hate, hate, hate, Twyin. How dare he! Sansa being forced to marry Tyrion and her not kneeling (which was awesome) and when she stood there weeping and no one cares.

While I'm new to the forum, it's the first time I see someone pointing out Catelyn's inner thoughts, the time she actually is obligated to act differently, concealing her struggle. Her chapters in ASoS are so well written, sometimes they almost brought me to tears. I think her quotes that can make one sad are endless. Pffffff......*sigh*.

Welcome to the forum! I agree. I have my issues with Catelyn but I've no doubt that she's sacrificed a lot for the good of her children. Stark chapters in general make me sad because...you know...their lives are awful.

Lots of small moments in Game when you realize how young all the Stark kids are(+Jon). Bran asks Robb if there parents will ever come home and Robb says yes and Bran knows hes talking to his brother not Robb the lord. Sam tell Jon he never had a friend before and Jon says hes not his friend...he is his brother. And more the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Beth is common name. I always assumed she died during taking of Winterfell, who was going to bother saving her from the roof? (also heartbreaking).

But it is very possible also and great catch.

As for subtle sad moments, too many to mention!

Beth is common name. I always assumed she died during taking of Winterfell, who was going to bother saving her from the roof? (also heartbreaking).

But it is very possible also and great catch.

As for subtle sad moments, too many to mention!

As much as I'd like that to be true, I doubt it's a coincidence on GRRM's part :crying:

Pretty Pia covering her mouth when she smiles because Gregor punched her in the mouth, ruining her teeth. Jaime always comments on it. After showing her the head of the man who raped her, and she smiles, I imagine her covering her teeth.

This. I like Pia.

Where's that detail given? There's not one listed here.

Edit: I was sufficiently motivated to go through Theon's chapters, and I don't see any of dogs being named Beth. The newest one is Kyra.

Actually now that I've thought about this, I remember reading something somewhere that specifically pointed out that the absence of a dog called Beth shows she could be alive somewhere. Although this could just mean that she's locked up in the Dreadfort minus some fingers and skin...

Archived