What has been a subtle moment that has made you sad?

nillingar

Arya thinking that no one has ever called her beautiful but her father and Jon and how Jon wouldn't recognize blind Beth.

Bran thinking that his brothers and sisters could learn to fly and be ravens in Maester Luwin's raven thing.

Rickon waiting in the crypts for his father saying he was coming home like he promised.

Sansa praying for her family in the sept

In AFFC at Tommens wedding feast when he starts coughing and Cersei thinks he's choking. I know she's done some horrible things but that really made me feel for Cersei and then she has to rush out of the hall so no one sees her crying.

" Alone beneath a tallow candle, she allowed herself a shuddering sob, then another. A woman may weep, but not a queen".

There are a lot of moments that really just tear at your heart, especially on a reread. I agree with so many of these posted, but when I was reading Tyrion at I think the Battle of Blackwater? when he rides past the knight begging to yield. Tyrion thinks he is offering his gauntlet, but then realizes the knight's hand is in it and rides off. That was like a punch to the gut when I read it again.

One I found pretty sad was the dying Piper soldier Arya and the hound came across after the RW. When he told the story of drinking toasts with the Bolton man before he attacked him.

It made me think about the RW from a soldiers perspective rather than a Stark/Tully one. Heres a guy fighting for a lord he's never met, whose sworn to a king fighting to avenge a man who meant nothing to him personally and it gets him killed at a wedding party by some guy who probably seemed pretty decent before somebody gave him a signal.

While I'm new to the forum, it's the first time I see someone pointing out Catelyn's inner thoughts, the time she actually is obligated to act differently, concealing her struggle. Her chapters in ASoS are so well written, sometimes they almost brought me to tears. I think her quotes that can make one sad are endless. Pffffff......*sigh*.

I agree, Catelyn's chapters are superbly written, you see what is just an extremely worried, and also heartbroken, mother. A few time she's talking about how she needs to be a mother to Robb, but there's no one to look after her after Ned's death.

Compare her motherly instincts to Cersei's in AFfC, there's a huge contrast.

Brienne remembering the harassment she had to put up with at Renly's camp.

Any of the destroyed villages in the Riverlands.

One of Ramsay's bitches being named Beth.

Sansa dreaming about Lady at the end of AGOT.

Arya thinking Catelyn and Robb won't want her anymore.

Jon and Bran almost, but not quite meeting.

Big and Little Walder picking on Hodor. My autistic brother is a gentle giant type, so I took it personally.

The Unsullied who goes to a brothel to cuddle.

When Robb says to Catelyn, "You don't have to. I'm the king."

She's all geared up for some awful teenager argument (where she's on the wrong side, IMO) and he says, nah, no need for this. She's got the moment she's been striving toward all his life. Very bittersweet.

In retrospect, this Sansa/Jeyne Poole scene from A Game Of Thrones:

"The kitchen yielded no lemon cakes, but they did find half of a cold strawberry pie, and that was almost as good. They ate it on the tower steps, giggling and gossiping and sharing secrets, and Sansa went to bed that night feeling almost as wicked as Arya."

:frown5: :frown5: :frown5:

Archived