LBGQT: Or how I learned to stop worrying and read the DSM

peterbound

I think it's just a means of acknowledging some of the different lived experience you have when you've gone through transition. I don't consider myself a trans woman to the exclusion of being a woman, I'm a woman who happens to be a trans woman. It may well be that in 100 years humanity will have moved on from all this bigotry shit, and the process of recognising you are trans and doing something about it will simply be a normal part of growing up and at that point there won't be any necessity to keep that identification. At this point in time though, we are still far too oppressed - it's vitally important to trans youth to be able to see older role models, to see potential paths for them to take, and for them to know there is nothing wrong with them for us to give up that label.

As alluded to in my first sentence, I also think that my path through life is valuable and distinct enough from a typical cis woman that it's worth acknowledging what has come before, without trying to claim that experience as more or less valuable - just different. It doesn't take away or add to the woman part, it just describes a history. Another way of phrasing it is a woman with a history of transition.

ETA: Robin I'm really glad you have shared your evolving feelings with your partner and she is accepting of it. As someone else said while you were contemplating it, you seem to be a lot more comfortable in yourself since you came out on here and I'm sure your partner also sees that. I'm glad you have a space to do this now.

Archived