Corn Code Revision 8. The Game of Thrones exposed.

Ser Creighton

Alas, the recent revisions and analysis have become more far fetched than the original idea/key, which while flabbergasting, at least was rather consistent and well structured. Furthermore, too many special cases with free interpretation have popped up. Still an interesting thread to follow nonetheless.

I think a huge majority of this theory is correct but it seems to be a bit of a reach with some of the special cases. But of course we'll only know how much he meant if he chooses to tell us. As to why he did this, I'm not sure but I have a couple of ideas. When reading crime stories you hear about the author putting clues in so that the reader can figure out what's happening or even what really happened - delving deeper I'd say it adds a certain depth to the story and it's a way of showing how clever a writer he is. The other idea is that it gives a sense of inevitability, like some sort of Greek tragedy.

So GRRM spent all these years and all these 1000s of pages just to make a pointless clever coded puzzle book?

I'm not buying it. You may have discovered something interesting and curious. However it could mean (or not mean) many things.

It is too much of a leap in logic now to conclude that it's a secret decoder.

However I am still open-minded. But I need a credibile answer to this question before I can believe:

Why?

Well that's ok, you are free to think what you want, I am not telling you are free to do that, but just stating the obvious.. I do ask that people read the op before saying what they know or don't know. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they are arguing over something they have not read.

Why would Martin do that? Well first he would not be the first author to do it, dozens have done it. Second because he has made it part of the story. It's not so much a code as they are word puzzles. Solve a puzzle and you get insight and all kinds of different things. Third please the op if you really want to talk about this. Or speak from an ignornant perspective if you want. But talking about someone who does not want to know and refuses to even look is a waste of time. Your going to argue what you want and I am going to stand by the code.

Give it a chance and apply the code or don't, I am more than happy to help anyone. It's complex and hard, but I think anyone can do it with enough time and practice. Or don't they are still great books.

Personally I think it's really cool that he did it, it adds an extra demension of depth and they are a lot of fun. If this somehow upsets you and I am not sure why it would, I apologize.

If it makes you feel better I am trying to locate experts in books ciphers, codes and word puzzles to send this too. Though I don't really know any so I am web serching. And if anyone does know people who do this, please let me know.

And look man no need to argue or fight, I keep a peacful thread. It's all for fun so lets not get frustrated, maybe wait and see, I am not here to convince anyone. I am just doing the puzzles and trying to help others do them.

If anyone knows how to contact Martin I will send this to him. I am not an expert on the internet and I very good at doing searches.

So if anyone knows someone who can help verify this let me know. If it's wrong it's wrong and it was just a fun thread, if it's right. Then Martin pulled one over on everyone, oh no he would never do that would he???

Thank you for taking the time to stop in and at least express your opinion, I respect it and I am not going to try and change your mind. You don't like it and there are other threads. You want help understanding it, well that's what I am here for. But please don't argue out of ignorance, it's not fare to you or the other posters. We cool?

One last thing, it is not a puzzle book, it is a book that has some puzzles. If you want to over simplify everything that's fine.

Alas, the recent revisions and analysis have become more far fetched than the original idea/key, which while flabbergasting, at least was rather consistent and well structured. Furthermore, too many special cases with free interpretation have popped up. Still an interesting thread to follow nonetheless.

That's ok, but it is what it is. And if I am really lucky I will find out.

Spoiler
Come on! One of them: Theon or Asha are dead meat!

This is the text:

["Theon is my mother's last surviving son. When his brothers died, it shattered her. His death will crush what remains of her... but I have not come to beg you for his life."

"Wise. I am sorry for your mother, but I do not spare the lives of turncloaks. This one, especially. He slew two sons of Eddard Stark. Every northman in my service would abandon me if I showed him any clemency. Your brother must die."

"Then do the deed yourself, Your Grace." The chill in Asha's voice made Theon shiver in his chains. "Take him out across the lake to the islet where the weirwood grows, and strike his head off with that sorcerous sword you bear. That is how Eddard Stark would have done it. Theon slew Lord Eddard's sons. Give him to Lord Eddard's gods. The old gods of the north. Give him to the tree."

And suddenly there came a wild thumping, as the maester's ravens hopped and flapped inside their cages, their black feathers flying as they beat against the bars with loud and raucous caws. "The tree," one squawked, "the tree, the tree," whilst the second screamed only, "Theon, Theon, Theon."

Theon Greyjoy smiled. They know my name, he thought.]

If it's not Theon or Asha, who else? Someone has an axe over his head, and it's not Stannis.

Well one of them already has a code, it's a future code and it's in dance. You can find it in the reply section.

Well that's ok, you are free to think what you want, I am not telling you are free to do that, but just stating the obvious.. I do ask that people read the op before saying what they know or don't know. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they are arguing over something they have not read.

Why would Martin do that? Well first he would not be the first author to do it, dozens have done it. Second because he has made it part of the story. It's not so much a code as they are word puzzles. Solve a puzzle and you get insight and all kinds of different things. Third please the op if you really want to talk about this. Or speak from an ignornant perspective if you want. But talking about someone who does not want to know and refuses to even look is a waste of time. Your going to argue what you want and I am going to stand by the code.

Give it a chance and apply the code or don't, I am more than happy to help anyone. It's complex and hard, but I think anyone can do it with enough time and practice. Or don't they are still great books.

Personally I think it's really cool that he did it, it adds an extra demension of depth and they are a lot of fun. If this somehow upsets you and I am not sure why it would, I apologize.

If it makes you feel better I am trying to locate experts in books ciphers, codes and word puzzles to send this too. Though I don't really know any so I am web serching. And if anyone does know people who do this, please let me know.

And look man no need to argue or fight, I keep a peacful thread. It's all for fun so lets not get frustrated, maybe wait and see, I am not here to convince anyone. I am just doing the puzzles and trying to help others do them.

If anyone knows how to contact Martin I will send this to him. I am not an expert on the internet and I very good at doing searches.

So if anyone knows someone who can help verify this let me know. If it's wrong it's wrong and it was just a fun thread, if it's right. Then Martin pulled one over on everyone, oh no he would never do that would he???

Thank you for taking the time to stop in and at least express your opinion, I respect it and I am not going to try and change your mind. You don't like it and there are other threads. You want help understanding it, well that's what I am here for. But please don't argue out of ignorance, it's not fare to you or the other posters. We cool?

One last thing, it is not a puzzle book, it is a book that has some puzzles. If you want to over simplify everything that's fine.

Thank you for the condescension and insults. However I merely asked you a simple question - why?

To legitimately ask such a question at this point in the thread does not require me to spend hours reading tedious theorizing. And to answer it should be easy and natural for you.

As for your answer to why, it is not compelling or convincing. It's just implausible speculation.

This theory has still not passed the sniff test.

Thank you for the condescension and insults. However I merely asked you a simple question - why?

To legitimately ask such a question at this point in the thread does not require me to spend hours reading tedious theorizing. And to answer it should be easy and natural for you.

As for your answer to why, it is not compelling or convincing. It's just implausible speculation.

Saying that Ser Creighton should have to explain why GRRM put a cipher in the books, in order to validate "The Corn Code," is ridiculous. When you make that sort of claim, it gives the appearance that you're either talking out of your ass or trolling.

What condescension and insults? All I said is your speaking out of ignorance because you have not read it, nor were you asking about it. If anyone is being rude it's you. I was really nice, and I did answer your question the only way I could.

I am sorry if it offends or upsets you. I don't know what to tell you, I never meant to insult you. Don't take speaking out of ignorance for being ignorant. They are two different things. Like I said you are more than entitled to your opinion. Maybe he did it for fun, or to pull one over on people, maybe I am totally wrong, but I intend ot find out.

I am going to send him an email and if by miracle he reads it and responds I will let everyone know. I don't even know why your so upset. You don't like it and that's cool, no sweat off my back. But why are you being so aggressive and hostile to me and other posters. Seriously man, relax, I wasn't insulting you.

If you don't want to look at the code and try applying it then why are you here? I don't have every answer. I am having some fun with some people doing this. Do I think there are puzzle codes? Yes. Not my fault the code keeps working.

I think a huge majority of this theory is correct but it seems to be a bit of a reach with some of the special cases. But of course we'll only know how much he meant if he chooses to tell us. As to why he did this, I'm not sure but I have a couple of ideas. When reading crime stories you hear about the author putting clues in so that the reader can figure out what's happening or even what really happened - delving deeper I'd say it adds a certain depth to the story and it's a way of showing how clever a writer he is. The other idea is that it gives a sense of inevitability, like some sort of Greek tragedy.

Not special cases just clues placed in the code.

I think that if it's true that Martin is "old school in his approach, then these codes as mnemonic devices for the Author, makes sense.

If one doesn't believe, one is free not to read.

I think he does use them for that, but I also, think he has made a game out of it. I think it is a current useful tool for him but he knows it has long term it has "I told you so' written all over it." So he has a lot of them written like puzzles, especially the latter ones. I go by his philosophy that it's not all black or white or this or that.

I really do need to get back to reading the codes and they are so hard to explain unless you get used to them. Some take me seconds and some are more subtle, no be good and lay off the Margs till the weekend. Did I ever tell you I bartended. Don't you dear waste good tequila on a Margarita, and the next time you make a Long Island flash it first. And no get your mind out of the gutter. Mix everything but the gin and ice in a blender, just a flash, then when it settles add the gin poor into a shake tin, a couple of quick pops, poor over ice. The flashing kills the bubbles and mixes the alchol together with the sour. Gin is to sensative so that's where the shake tin comes in.

I don't want Alys to die either! She is one of my favorite minor characters. Gosh, it would be nice if Martin allowed us one happy marriage outcome!

I don't know if she will die or if she will not but I am just looking at all the foreshadowing plus the code key.

I actually found another code key in Asha's POV regarding the Karstarks who are traveling with Stannis. The outcome of the code key is found in the gift chapter of Theon. :) I won't post since its a gift chapter for TWOW..just a head's up for those who are watching the pattern.

Did you see the "Grant him" post I put up for you?

Tell you what, find me an odd looking code, or 3 and I will break them down for you and show you the clues in the scene that they are leading too, then will talk. I always back my play. Did you even look at the Grant him post on the page before? Do you know how hard it is to explain or write that down when examples are so easy? And note I never leave the scene, the person is always part of it. Anyone got questions, bring me a code and I will do it.

Archived