Trouble reading Book 1...

Afro Seven

So here's the thing.

I watched season one of the HBO series first, then half way through season two I uncontrolably fell in love with the story and decided I needed to know more. So I started book one through iBooks on the iPhone. I can't say I got very far. I felt like I was just watching the HBO show over again, but in super-duper slow motion.

Since then though, I bought the hard-bound ~$40 book of Clash of Kings. Buying the expensive one I figured would make me want to read it more since I put more money into it. It did. And I absolutely plowed through the books since. Finished now, and want to do a re-read.

So my question is, did anyone start the books after at least the first season? And did they have any trouble reading book one? I feel like maybe it was because it was on the tiny iPhone screen it had something to do with it. Thoughts? I'm wanting to just go out and buy the book for the hell of it so I can complete my collection. I'm just afraid it's going to slow me down a bit if it doesn't hold my interest...but who could it not? It had the Ned in it!

I guess my question is, did anyone else have any trouble with a re-read on book 1? If you saw season 1 before hand, let me know :)

I had no problem reading the first book after the show because I read them while thinking: "Yes, I know the general story, but I will focus more on the minor characters/events/details I, and the show, missed". I think if I had missed these stuff, I would have been overwhelmed by the amount of information I dont know when I started ACOK.

Since there are some differences in the characters behavior in the books as opposed to the show, I tend to focus on spotting those differences too.

Thats what I did, Im not sure if this helps, but I hope it does :) .

Definitely get the book.

I had a hard time remembering exactly what the people were doing in prior chapters so I started taking little notes for each POV. I'm on my third read-through and started reading one POV all through ADWD and LOVE reading it that way! I even got to go in order of preference: Jon, Arya, Davos, Bran, etc.....

I started the book first, but began watching the TV show immediately after, so by the third episode of the first season I had seen more in the show than in the book. However, I had no problems in reading the book, which I found particularly interesting and amusing. It took me a long time, though, because I decided to read the books in english (my first language is spanish). I have read until A Storm Of Swords, and I,m waiting for the Holiday to read the next book. I reread only the parts I was more interested in, so I skip all Daenerys chapters when rereading. Apart from that, I enjoy the rereading very much.

Afro,

I watched the first couple of episodes of GoT. I liked it so much that I stopped with the show and went out and got the book. The beginning of the book is like the show more or less. It's when you go further into the book that characters and details change a bit. I think you will find there's a 90% accuracy rate, whereas book 2 to season 2 is more like a 65-70% accuracy rate.

Concerning your phone: I do that when I'm riding the subway or if I'm waiting on something (15 minutes max reading). Last year I finally got a Kindle Fire and find that reading altogether is much easier on my eyes than my phone or laptop or even a paperback for that matter. I would try to put some funds aside and save for an e-reader. In the long run, you'll be saving a LOT of money in buying books. I think you can get the whole series for like $30 on Kindle.

Definitely get the book.

I had a hard time remembering exactly what the people were doing in prior chapters so I started taking little notes for each POV. I'm on my third read-through and started reading one POV all through ADWD and LOVE reading it that way! I even got to go in order of preference: Jon, Arya, Davos, Bran, etc.....

I actually color-coordinated each POV so when I got to Bran again after 400 pages I can quickly get back to him and see what happened with him last. But wow that is such an awesome idea, and since they're all coordonated already I shouldn't have any trouble! Thanks for the suggestion!

Afro,

I watched the first couple of episodes of GoT. I liked it so much that I stopped with the show and went out and got the book. The beginning of the book is like the show more or less. It's when you go further into the book that characters and details change a bit. I think you will find there's a 90% accuracy rate, whereas book 2 to season 2 is more like a 65-70% accuracy rate.

Concerning your phone: I do that when I'm riding the subway or if I'm waiting on something (15 minutes max reading). Last year I finally got a Kindle Fire and find that reading altogether is much easier on my eyes than my phone or laptop or even a paperback for that matter. I would try to put some funds aside and save for an e-reader. In the long run, you'll be saving a LOT of money in buying books. I think you can get the whole series for like $30 on Kindle.

Yeah, I did that with the other four books actually. Like when I was on a break in between shifts at work I'd get my phone out and knock out a chapter. And that's interesting about the Kindle Fire, I'll have to try one of them out and see how it affects me. For me though I think I'll always love books. I like having a nice collection to show off too =P

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm definitely going to go out tomorrow and buy it. Pay day anyways!

I watched the first two seasons of GoT before opening AGoT! It felt like a recap, but with details that help your imagination to swerve from the well-known faces you constantly have in mind.

I got to a point that I didn't want to watch the old seasons again, but I wanted to keep reading. Now, I'm happily anticipating my books' best moments on screen!

PS: Nothing compares to the feeling you get when turning (not scrolling down) a page :)

I watched Season 1 & 2 on HBO twice, then decided I must read the books. I was so absorbed that I enjoyed every second of the read. My only complaint is that I had the images and voices of actors burned into my brain so i couldn't re-imagine the characters on my own. I wonder if us HBO watching "converts" are missing out a bit on the imagination factor, but luckily we got involved early, so we can use our own imagination for the 2nd half of the story.

On a similar note, I have weird thing when reading Victarion's POV chapters. I imagine him as the tall evil Ironman (from the show) from Theon's group that captured WF. Anyone else experience this book/show mismatch?

I watched the first two seasons before reading the books and it was almost painful to read them because I knew the characters already, but didn't know enough about the side characters or the underlying stories to have it truly be a re-read. I was reading it like any other first time through and was going for major plot points, yet knew most of those points already. Books 3-5 were much easier to read, 1 & 2 I was mostly skimming through.

With that being said, after reading the whole series I am THOROUGHLY enjoying my reread right now. Lots of little things I missed, characters that become huge later, getting info on people w/out POV, the awesome fables of the age of heroes, and stories from RR, Ironborn Rebellion, and the reign of the Targs.

I didn't read the books until I had already watched Seasons 1 and 2. I began in January and finished ADWD in June. I had no problems at all reeding the books. In fact, I loved the additional insights and small differences.

Archived