I am only one cheering for a Randayll and Sam moment

The Black Hawk

I think if they ever meet, situation would be even worse given that Sam would be Maester acolyte, something Randyll despises above all else... And also, in order for Randyll to be forgiven, he has to ask forgiveness and that is something I don't see happening any time soon...

It would be a son forgiving father moment. And while Randyll isn't as bad as Tywin as a father (sorry, but soaking Sam in a pool of blood is not as bad as having your son's wife gang raped AND forcing said son to participate), I don't think Randyll will ever want to lay eyes on Samwell again. There will be no "moment" between these two.

Sam will confront his father

Hero's journey:

Call to adventure

Randyll has Sam join the NW, and Sam goes beyond the Wall.

Supernatural aid

Coldhands comes to aid Sam

Crossing of the first threshold

Sam comes to the Wall far from home

Belly of the whale

Sam is lost beyond the Wall in a wight-infested area

Road of trials

Sam kills an Other

Sam brings Gilly and her child with him to the Wall, never abandoning them, and killing wighted Small Paul

Sam gets himself, Aemon and Gilly on a ship to Oldtown

Sam will later slay Euron

AFfC Samwell V

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. [Lazy Leo speaking to Sam] They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans were gray.

ADwD Davos III

Behind the dais a kraken and a leviathan were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Woman as goddess/temptress

Gilly and Sam consummate their relationship, and Sam knows his vows and tries to avoid Gilly later

Atonement with the Father

Sam will confront his father Randyll, possibly akin to Luke confronting Vader

Sam has nothing to be ashamed of just the list of accomplishments jon used was plenty. He basically manipulated the nights watch. He went beyond the wall an killed an other. If someone such as Jon met with Randall before Sam met with him I'm sure the meeting would go down with Randall respecting Sam

Sam has nothing to be ashamed of just the list of accomplishments jon used was plenty. He basically manipulated the nights watch. He went beyond the wall an killed an other. If someone such as Jon met with Randall before Sam met with him I'm sure the meeting would go down with Randall respecting Sam

Thing is though, not even most of the NW believes Sam killed an Other. How less would Randall, who probably doesn't believe the Others are real to begin with and already dislikes and underestimates Sam, believe him? Lots.

As for the rest - orchestrating a NW election, having sex with a wildling, ahm, getting into a fight with some dude in Bravos. That stuff might be easier to believe, but it's still all hearsay. Even Sam has a moment where he imagines going back to Horn Hill and trying to tell his dad about his accomplishments. "They call me 'Sam the Slayer' now." And even he doubts Randall would believe or respect him. I can't imagine Randy respecting him unless he came home wearing the teeth of his defeated foes, all ripped and totally badass, with his own retinue of shield-biting warrior types who worship the ground he walks on.

Which isn't going to happen. He's gonna be all, "Hey look dad, I'm a wizard now!" at best. And that's going to improve his esteem in the eyes of Randy Tarly about the same way the Dursleys suddenly respected Harry Potter when he came home from Hogwarts.

"Hello, Father."

A black flash. The obsidian blade opened the front of Randyl Tarly's jerkin, bubbling with blood.

"Samwell." the lord croaked as he fell onto his buttocks. Sam brought a black boot down upon his fathers face. His nose popped like an olive bringing forth a gout of fresh blood."Who's the fuckwad now?" Sam spat, wiping the black blade clean.

I'd like to see Sam put his father in his place but I feel that by the time something like that might happen Sam will indeed be his own man and won't need that validation from his father anymore

IMO the most likely forms for such a confrontation are:

• Sam humiliating Randyl with his wit in a war council about the others
  • Sam knocking Randyl on his arse with as yet unlearned magic

Sam the Slayer as AAR? nawwwwwwwww

Tarly sword is Heartsbane......

Archived