How many of you came up with a "fake" Aegon theory before seeing it here?

Ahai I'm Jon Snow

Like most people it seems, I was immeadiatly sceptical about his identity, mainly because it seemed totally at odds with GRRM's writing to introduce such a game changing element and significant character at this late stage. But the Blackfyre theory was something I didn't consider until I read it on Boiled Leather. I didn't read any of the Dunk and Egg tales until after I'd read all the books, not sure if that would have made a difference.

Many of the old timers of the forum have been expecting the appearance of a fake Aegon since ACOK, due to Dany's visions in The House of the Undying and a mail from GRRM refusing to confirm the young prince's death (but confirming Rhaella's).

So I was convinced Aegon VI was a fake from the first minute.

That's interesting to know that long time readers were expecting a fake Aegon to appear.

I thought he was fake, just because it seemed like too much of an ass pull to have him be real.

I gotta say though, most of the other theories and stuff I didn't get on my first read. Lurking on this forum was kind of an eye opener. :D

I thought he was fake, but I didn't think Blackfyre until I read it here. I thought he was just some random kid that had been trained up to be king because I thought of Perkin Warbeck as well. Plus I remembered from reading in feast that the Valaryian look wasn't so uncommon. Looking back after reading the Blackfrye theories, there are a ton of clues. Plus some historians speculate that Perkin Warbeck was actually one of Edward's illegitimate sons. So that parallel still works to me.

i crossed my mind but i didnt think (and still dont) that it mattered at all..whether or not hes aegon or (f)aegon people will always be skeptical, no one will be able to "prove" it by any manner other than being more powerful and manipulative than the people on the other side, and if he is or if he isnt it will not effect his character at all or his ability to rule/get on the iron throne...his theme is perception moreso than reality "power is where people believe it to be"

no offense to anyone but I am sick to death of these aegon (f)aegon he or she is or isnt a targ threads...none of it really matters!...the only interesting somewhat meaningful "secret identity" character is jon...otherwise, cmon

It was Tyrions perspective that made me skeptical. Tyrion couldn't figure Illryios motives, thought the whole thing did not quite add up and ecspecially when he thought, " he might be Targaryean after all", when Aegon scattered the cyvasse peices after losing to him. If Tyrion has doubts so do I.

Many of the old timers of the forum have been expecting the appearance of a fake Aegon since ACOK, due to Dany's visions in The House of the Undying and a mail from GRRM refusing to confirm the young prince's death (but confirming Rhaella's).

So I was convinced Aegon VI was a fake from the first minute.

THIS.

A friend of mine is a long time reader and he told me long ago about he was expecting an Aegon to pop up near the end of the series. When this was confirmed he had the most arrogant smile I have ever seen on a human face. :lol:

I didn't see any Blackfyre link at all, but I don't know why Quaithe's sentence about the "mummer's dragon/cloth dragon" was a bit disturbing to me and I was expecting to see another Targ show up. At first I thought Dany would have to be wary of Jon, and then when Aegon came up, I figured he was probably the one who might be the "cloth dragon", implying he is a nobody.

But I wasn't sure and then I found the forums a LONG time after and I discovered the Blackfyre theory :)

'Timothy Quentin Cray' wrote:

I thought something may be amiss just because it would be an odd time to introduce a previously hidden 'hero' into the series at this point, especially one who could frustrate Dany's return to Westeros. But I hadn't absorbed anywhere near enough back story to make the Blackfyre link...

==============================================================================

It's one thing for a mystery writer to introduce the murderer from out of the blue 3/4 of the way through a book, but it's another to introduce a potential hero/nemesis 3/4 of the way through a 7 book series. Besides, this is not a murder mystery. Jo Rowling didn't wait to book 5 to even reveal that Voldemort existed.

Also, due to some odd revelations in fAegon's behaviour, I decided he was a fake, whether he knew it or not. So Varys's revelation to Kevan really shook me. The Blackfyre angle completely escaped me. But on re-read I decided fAegon was the Varys & Illyrio candidate to control Westeros. I do think he's going to get killed off, presumably in the DoD 2.0, but at least it added a great deal of interest and tension to the story, not to mention the motive for Dany to get off her arse and invade Westeros.

Because I didnt catch anything on my first read

I didn't believe he was really Elia's son, because it seemed kind of cheap to introduce someone potentially so crucial to the story so late. The mummer's dragon has been on my mind since we heard that prophesy as well. With that said, I didn't connect all the dots until reading it here or elsewhere.

Archived