I think people are wrong about Bran.

Northernmonkey

Whenever we talk about Bran's future on this forum, the majority of people assume that he will stay in the cave for the rest of his life and then become a tree. But Bloodraven lived a full and eventful life before he ended up in the cave, so why wouldn't Bran? I don't see why Bran would chose to sit in a cave for the next 60 or 70 years. I think he'll definitely leave the cave, and there's a good chance he'll become Lord of Winterfell again.

I've also got a question. If and when Bran does become a tree, would he have to return to the cave, or could he become a tree anywhere? For example, the godswood at Winterfell?

It's possible no doubt, but I think he will either die helping Jon defeat the Others or replace BR as the COTF Greenseer willfully or maybe even forced into it. Like what if the COTF don't let him leave.

They're only little. I don't really see how they could stop him. Or why Bran would help them if he was being kept there against his will.

I think he will stay in the cave forever. Voluntarilly. Bran always dreamt of being a knight, jousting, living adventures. But he can't and never will. And he never wanted to be a boring lord doing boring politics. On the other hand, in that cave he can see distant things both in space and time. He can fly, he can feel exciting things he never felt before, and he can make a difference to the world. He will stay there, and he will like it. And eventually, he might even warg into a dragon :D

I think he will stay in the cave forever. Voluntarilly. Bran always dreamt of being a knight, jousting, living adventures. But he can't and never will. And he never wanted to be a boring lord doing boring politics. On the other hand, in that cave he can see distant things both in space and time. He can fly, he can feel exciting things he never felt before, and he can make a difference to the world. He will stay there, and he will like it. And eventually, he might even warg into a dragon :D

But with a bit of training, there's no reason why he can't use his abilities somewhere else in the world. I don't see why he needs to be in the cave to do that. And why would Bran be happy to sit in a cave for the rest of his life? Would he really be happy to never see a member of his family again? And as far as I know, his abilities only let him see through weirwoods. It's not a substitute for living a proper life.

There is no way Bran will just stay in the cave. Even if his final fate is to sit on that throne and become a tree, I think his journey has only begun. Before the five year gap was scrapped GRRM intended that Bran would already be in the cave and well into his training by the time the original book 4 began. What would you imagine GRRM would have Bran do through the whole of three planned books? He definitely won't just sit in the cave. The real question is: where will he be going? To the Wall? To a Winterfell? To the Lands of Always Winter? Something related to the Others, presumably...

Martin says that we'll see more of the north in the next two books. Bran seems like the only practical way to do that. But if Bran leaves the tree how would he get around? Despite having lost the use of his legs he's still growing. Hodor won't be able to carry him around for ever. Though I think it's likely that Bran could explore outside of the cave more using Hodor's body. The way he has been doing in the caves almost as if he's practicing.

It would be creepy but I think a reasonable give and take between Hodor and Bran. Bran's mind for Hodor's legs. I also like that it would draw a nice parallel between Bran and Hodor and Dunk and Egg. Especially, if Hodor is a descendent of Dunk.

Bran is incapable of being the actual lord if winterfell/king of the north. A king especially a northern king needs to be able to sire heirs(which he can not), lead men into war, but he can be a good administrator. He can be a measter, he can be a advisor to anyone, he can do things of that magnitude but the north is too hard of a place to follow a crippled boy.

Bran is incapable of being the actual lord if winterfell/king of the north. A king especially a northern king needs to be able to sire heirs(which he can not), lead men into war, but he can be a good administrator. He can be a measter, he can be a advisor to anyone, he can do things of that magnitude but the north is too hard of a place to follow a crippled boy.

Who says he can't sire children? I have seen nothing that says he can't perform sexually. Not all people who lose the use of their legs also lose that ability.

But with a bit of training, there's no reason why he can't use his abilities somewhere else in the world. I don't see why he needs to be in the cave to do that. And why would Bran be happy to sit in a cave for the rest of his life? Would he really be happy to never see a member of his family again? And as far as I know, his abilities only let him see through weirwoods. It's not a substitute for living a proper life.

I don't know if he can actually access the weirwoodnet from somewhere else. And in the cave he is safe, there are lots of dangers in the way back. He certainly could not come back until the Others have been defeated -- and the thus until the book have ended. And remember that there are only two books left, if he does leave the cave, we'll have a lot of boring travelog until he can make a difference in the story again.

And from where he is, Bran actually can see a member of his family again. He can see the past and far away. He can see all his family, even his father and mother. Who knows what he feels then? Maybe it feels more real than real life. He's already disconnected from his former self, he spends more time warging than otherwise, he kind of lost track of time.

I worry that he'll never leave that cave; there's something ominous about the tone of the cave chapters. That's probably why people believe the Jojen paste theory, although I don't. I'm not so sure that the CoF have Bran's best interests at heart. Also, there's something special about this cave, otherwise why would Bloodraven be stationed there?

Even if he can't have kids, he can still be Lord of Winterfell, and name Rickon, Sansa, Arya or Jon as his heir.

I don't know if he can actually access the weirwoodnet from somewhere else. And in the cave he is safe, there are lots of dangers in the way back. He certainly could not come back until the Others have been defeated -- and the thus until the book have ended. And remember that there are only two books left, if he does leave the cave, we'll have a lot of boring travelog until he can make a difference in the story again.

And from where he is, Bran actually can see a member of his family again. He can see the past and far away. He can see all his family, even his father and mother. Who knows what he feels then? Maybe it feels more real than real life. He's already disconnected from his former self, he spends more time warging than otherwise, he kind of lost track of time.

But he still can't talk to his family. Is Bran really going to abandon them all for the rest of his life? At some point Bran will see some of his family through the weirwood net, and I don't see him resisting the temptation of returning.

Archived