Why Does Everyone Hate Feminism?

Lady Asha

I was just wondering this. I'm in a gender studies class and it seems like the unanimous male attitude towards feminism is "a bunch of fat old slags on their period" and "lesbians" and what not.

I don't consider myself to be a feminist, really but I do think that there is still sexism. I experience it on a daily basis.

I just turned 20 and ever since I was 11, I have been hooted at out of car windows, hollered at, followed for blocks and yelled at for not responding to catcalls with "Say thank you bitch" or "You ugly anyway, don't flatter yourself". I've had men old enough to be my father and grandfather ogle me shamelessly and try to get into my pants, ignoring the fact that I was underage. The second I turned 18 my 58 year old mail man decided I was fair game and offered me money to have sex with him. He then explained to me he doesn't go for women over 30 because they're used up by then.

The guys at my uni call women "bitches" and one guy even went so far as to call women a receptacle for his penis.

Rape jokes are still made and considered funny, rape culture is still in effect, people still judge a woman for what she was wearing, why was she there etc.

I've had it drilled into my head by the media since day 1 that I need to say 18 forever because otherwise I will be replaced by newer, better models. It seems like the way society only values young women is implying that women are only good as decorations, sex objects, social prizes.

And frankly, I'm 20 and I'm terrified to get a day older because I've been told that nobody will want me. I get hit on by men in their 40's and 50's all the time and most of them are MARRIED. I work the same job as my boyfriend and he makes more than me.

I guess my point is, we live in a culture that is totally unbothered by this. So feminism doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Why the bad rap? (And for the record, I'm not talking about radical feminists)

What makes you think you aren't a feminist?

As to your question, search board for "failings" and "feminism" together. There was some discussion about this.

For some it's a sampling error - they have some negative experience with feminism or associate goals to feminism as a whole that only a few (if anyone) seeks.

For some it's a loss of privilege/power - people don't like to change or to admit their way of thinking is wrong.

To be clear I think there are justified debates against some feminist positions, and you see this clearly when feminists disagree with each other.

I just turned 20 and ever since I was 11, I have been hooted at out of car windows, hollered at, followed for blocks and yelled at for not responding to catcalls with "Say thank you bitch" or "You ugly anyway, don't flatter yourself". I've had men old enough to be my father and grandfather ogle me shamelessly and try to get into my pants, ignoring the fact that I was underage. The second I turned 18 my 58 year old mail man decided I was fair game and offered me money to have sex with him. He then explained to me he doesn't go for women over 30 because they're used up by then.

You must live in a real shit-hole.

Hardy anyone hates hates an entire movement. Like Dems vs Repubs, most of them hate a few really obnoxious ones that they have met... and allow that to carry over to the whole group in their minds.

That's why I bailed on the Political threads, and hopefully will be able to stay away for more than a few months this time.

I've never actually heard a 'rape joke' in my life, what are they like?

I've never actually heard a 'rape joke' in my life, what are they like?

Don't ask. Those posts get deleted as quickly as we can manage it.

Let me redirect discussion to the existing feminism thread here.

Archived