Dany and Asshai

Nymeria Stone

During one of Dany's chapters on a ACOK, she meets Quaithe in the crowd and we have this dialogue:

" "To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshai'i give me an army?", she demanded. "Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth", said the womman in the masl. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd. "

Asshai is often called Asshai-by-the-Shadow what would explain the "pass beneath the shadow to touch the light". There we have the red priests and the city is known for sorcery practices. I don't really believe she would accept The Lord of the Light as the one true god, but her possible journey to Asshai may have a connection with this...

But what kind of truth would she find there? Will she even go to Asshai?

Sorry I didn't develop any theories or anything, but while re-reading ACOK I got really curious.

I am glad you brought up this point. I have a semi-crackpot theory as to what lies in Asshai and, in explaining it, I will have to respectfully disagree with Senor de la Tormenta's assessment.

I believe the the Truth Daenerys will find in Asshai is that there are other Targaryens thriving there and that they she will link up with them there and it will lead the the DwD 2.0 where the Targaryens from Asshai and Dany will face off against the Blackfyres led by (f)Aegon. Here is some evidence to support this:

1. GRRM said that the Targaryens were the last surviving Dragonlords after the doom but he never mentioned that ALL Targaryens went to Westeros with Aegon the Conqueror, leaving open the possibility that there may be Targaryens elsewhere.

2. Bran's vision in ADwD suggests that there are "Dragons in Asshai" now the term dragon is commonly used to refer to the Targaryens

3. Qaithe could very well be one of such Targaryens

I am well aware this hinges on crackpottery but it is my theory, Dany must go Asshai to find the other Targaryens.

I have mused over this riddle many times & can't make relevant sense of it. I've read suggestions on here that the going back to go forward is a reference to Dany going back to The Dothraki.

There was an interview where GRRM was asked if he will write more about Asshai. He said no, the books won't go there. I can't give you a link or post info on which interview though. Maybe someone knows or can provide link?

I am glad you brought up this point. I have a semi-crackpot theory as to what lies in Asshai and, in explaining it, I will have to respectfully disagree with Senor de la Tormenta's assessment.

I believe the the Truth Daenerys will find in Asshai is that there are other Targaryens thriving there and that they she will link up with them there and it will lead the the DwD 2.0 where the Targaryens from Asshai and Dany will face off against the Blackfyres led by (f)Aegon. Here is some evidence to support this:

1. GRRM said that the Targaryens were the last surviving Dragonlords after the doom but he never mentioned that ALL Targaryens went to Westeros with Aegon the Conqueror, leaving open the possibility that there may be Targaryens elsewhere.

2. Bran's vision in ADwD suggests that there are "Dragons in Asshai" now the term dragon is commonly used to refer to the Targaryens

3. Qaithe could very well be one of such Targaryens

I am well aware this hinges on crackpottery but it is my theory, Dany must go Asshai to find the other Targaryens.

That makes sense, but I find a little frustrating the fact that there are yet other Targaryens to come. That kinda ruins the entire "I am the last dragon" thing and make Dany's claim weaker.

That makes sense, but I find a little frustrating the fact that there are yet other Targaryens to come. That kinda ruins the entire "I am the last dragon" thing and make Dany's claim weaker.

Please don't take any of it as fact or cannon, it is, at this point, purely theoretical. However, if you believe, as I do, in Yolkboy's theory that Melisandre (who is from Asshai) is the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar, this would lend further credence to the theory.

To Sharya Stark's point, I read somewhere as well that we won't see Asshai, however, the whole trip could take place in a "jump" in time between TWoW and ADoS (again purely theoretical).

Interesting theory. I had imagined there may be Dragon eggs in Assahi or possibly someone who could tell Dany how to control Drogon better.

Not sure about Mel being a secret Blackfyre tho. Her dreams of childhood and slavers auction..... lot number 7..

Edit wrong lot number heh.

Not sure about Mel being a secret Blackfyre tho. Her dreams of childhood and slavers auction..... lot number 9....

Bloodraven was not a Blackfyre, he is largely responsible for the defeat of Daemon Blackfyre at the battle of the Redgrass field. His half brother Bittersteel supported the Blackfyre.

I would have loved to have seen Asshai in the books tbh, just something sinister about it I think. I think Dany will get to Westeros by going East though. Asshai ships have sunk in the bay of seals and by going West it would have took years to get to that destination and why would it even go beyond the wall theres nothing there. Really cant wait for TWOW.

There was a theory that Dany would return to Westeros going around the world and arriving from the sunset sea. No one has done it before.

" "To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

To go north, go south + To reach west, go East = To go Northwest, go southeast.

Since Westeros is Northwest of Qarth (and slavers bay).. she must go Southeast.... Asshai.. pass beneath the Shadow (shadowlands).. Therefore the Saffron Strait..

It would be cool to see Asshai.. but GRRM is short of time..

unless he does the 5 year jump between AWOW and the final book.

unless he does the 5 year jump between AWOW and the final book.

Thats what I think may have to happen if Dany goes Asshai since GRRM clearly said we would not see it in the books. I get a feeling that if he does the jump the TWoW and ADoS, Dany's time in Asshai may be the subejct of a future novella in the fashion of D&E but I disgress . . .

Please don't take any of it as fact or cannon, it is, at this point, purely theoretical. However, if you believe, as I do, in Yolkboy's theory that Melisandre (who is from Asshai) is the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar, this would lend further credence to the theory.

To Sharya Stark's point, I read somewhere as well that we won't see Asshai, however, the whole trip could take place in a "jump" in time between TWoW and ADoS (again purely theoretical).

Does the theory take into account Mel's dream of the slavers action? I wouldn't mind reading it if you have a link please.

Maybe pass beneath the shadow refers to the wall somehow. Just spitballing here.

The preliminary synopsis of book 6 has always been what happens when Dany lands in Westeros. Even if that's not true, I don't see her having enough narrative time to go to Asshai.

And had we heard no other mention of Asshai, I would tend to agree with you howver I don't think GRRM would have included a Bran vision that mentions dragons in Asshai as a red herring.

Archived