Was Sam molested as a child?

LouDank

clap clap.. this theory without offense to poster is going on the crackpot theories....

Sorry no it's just very unlikely there are people in the modern (non GRRM) world who are beat by their father to be taught discipline or to teach them to be 'tuff' and i think sam falls into this category....

Molested

pester or harass (someone), typically in an aggressive or persistent manner.

"the crowd was shouting abuse and molesting the two police officers"

While its modern use is more typically involved with sex, it is still a correct usage of the word.

This is most likely a case of the dictionary being behind modern usages. Molestation is so strongly associated with sexual abuse that hardly anyone would think about it in another way unless prompted. If you follow the link, you can see that the definition you provided is considered dated, so it probably wouldn't be a correct use of the word anymore.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/english/molest?q=molest

I don't think there was any sexual abuse, but plenty of physical and verbal abuse like when Randyll chained Sam in the dungeons with chains around his neck just for suggesting becoming a maester.

Pretty much. Sam would have mentioned something in his POVs had that been the case. Since he doesnt, i doubt there was THAT kind of abuse. Abuse insulting his manhood, definitely, but actual sexual acts? I dont think so.

This is most likely a case of the dictionary being behind modern usages. Molestation is so strongly associated with sexual abuse that hardly anyone would think about it in another way unless prompted.

Not to mention the Op differentiated between the two in his original post.

Molested

pester or harass (someone), typically in an aggressive or persistent manner.

"the crowd was shouting abuse and molesting the two police officers"

While its modern use is more typically involved with sex, it is still a correct usage of the word.

What happens when you google "molest"?

Well Asimov once used "molested" to mean "interfered with"

“And we have been permitted to proceed all this time, without molestation?”

“Without molestation? Who told you we were not molested?"

[second Foundation]

But that was was many many moons ago. When "making love" meant something different than it does today.

I don't think there's any evidence that Sam was sexually abused but if some did turn up, I wouldn't be shocked.

You are still high, shut up.

nah, he just routinely says stuff like that

clap clap.. this theory without offense to poster is going on the crackpot theories....

Sorry no it's just very unlikely there are people in the modern (non GRRM) world who are beat by their father to be taught discipline or to teach them to be 'tuff' and i think sam falls into this category....

bingo

Well, if I remember correctly, Sam was also forced to wear women's clothes at some point. There's not that big of a jump to imagine that some f'ed up "hero" of the Tarly household might take that lesson one step further. *shiver*

Emphasis on the word imagine, still. I don't think it ever went _that_ far.

Archived