Monotheism and polytheism in ASOIAF

First of My Name

This has been in my head for a time now. Are the several religions in ASOIAF monotheistic (where followers believe in one god, like christianity) or polytheistic (multiple gods, like the romans)?

The faith of the Seven features seven aspects of one god, but I'm under the impression that people mostly pray to one aspect only (for example you don't see Barristan praying to the Mother, he has nothing to do with her)

The faith of R'hllor and the Iron Isles both have two gods - R'hllor and the Great Other, the Drowned God and the Storm Lord - but only is prayed to in each case.

So, do you think the several religions of the series fall under monotheism or polytheism?

This has been in my head for a time now. Are the several religions in ASOIAF monotheistic (where followers believe in one god, like christianity) or polytheistic (multiple gods, like the romans)?

The faith of the Seven features seven aspects of one god, but I'm under the impression that people mostly pray to one aspect only (for example you don't see Barristan praying to the Mother, he has nothing to do with her)

The faith of R'hllor and the Iron Isles both have two gods - R'hllor and the Great Other, the Drowned God and the Storm Lord - but only is prayed to in each case.

So, do you think the several religions of the series fall under monotheism or polytheism?

Regarding the Faith:

1) from a scholar's POV: one god with seven aspects (see Christian Trinity) i.e. monotheistic religion

2) from a "peasant's" POV: seven gods

Though "The Church" of the Faith seems to be quite relaxed and not very dogmatic about that issue and "folk religion" in general (in contrast to real world monotheistic religions)

We can compare it to real world religions. IMO the Seven is a clear expy of the christian trinity. People often pray 'in Jesus' name' i.e. to a particular aspect. If you consider real life christianity a monotheistic religion then so is the Faith of the Seven.

As for R'hllorism and Drowned Godism, they can be compared to zoroastrianism. Zoroastrianism also has two deities:Azura Mazda and Angra Mainyu. But only Ahura Mazda is prayed to. If you consider zoroastrianism to be monotheistic, then so are Red Godism and Drowned Godism.

Regarding the Faith:

1) from a scholar's POV: one god with seven aspects (see Christian Trinity) i.e. monotheistic religion

2) from a "peasant's" POV: seven gods

Though "The Church" of the Faith seems to be quite relaxed and not very dogmatic about that issue and "folk religion" in general (in contrast to real world monotheistic religions)

We can compare it to real world religions. IMO the Seven is a clear expy of the christian trinity. People often pray 'in Jesus' name' i.e. to a particular aspect. If you consider real life christianity a monotheistic religion then so is the Faith of the Seven.

As for R'hllorism and Drowned Godism, they can be compared to zoroastrianism. Zoroastrianism also has two deities:Azura Mazda and Angra Mainyu. But only Ahura Mazda is prayed to. If you consider zoroastrianism to be monotheistic, then so are Red Godism and Drowned Godism.

These both make sense.

"R'hllorism" is a Dualist religion, like Zorostraism. It acknowledges the existence of only two deities, and only one is Good and worthy of worship.

"Drowned Godism" is a Monolatric religion, like ancient judaism: They believe that there are many gods, but their own is better than the others and the only one worthy of worship.

None of them are good fits, however. Zoroastrism doesn't endorse human sacrifice and claims that good deeds are more important than prayer and sacrifices. They also keep very strict rules of ritual cleanliness that aren't present in the Red God's religion. The Red Priest's belief that you can get goodies by sacrificing good stuff reminds me a bit of some ancient indian religions.

Same goes for the Ironborn. They have a bit of cristianism because of the self-sacrifice of their god "who died to save us", and also because of their "baptism" and because of their rejection of the material world as a place of suffering, with the afterlife being the only place where you really can find happiness. They also have a bit of Mysteric Cult, with their ritual fake death and resurrection, and they have a bit of the ancient Aztec religion, because of the importance they give to human sacrifice.

"R'hllorism" is a Dualist religion, like Zorostraism. It acknowledges the existence of only two deities, and only one is Good and worthy of worship.

"Drowned Godism" is a Monolatric religion, like ancient judaism: They believe that there are many gods, but their own is better than the others and the only one worthy of worship.

Does that mean that it's an oversimplification or shoehorning to place these religions into a binary option of monotheistic vs polytheistic?

The Seven religion bears similarity with certain forms of Hinduism where the many other Hindu gods are just manifestations of the Supreme God. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaktism

R'hllor has some theological similarity to Zoroastrianism (the religion of pre-islamic Iran), which is a dualistic religion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism ,and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasanian_Empire (name of the last Zoroastrian Imperial Persian dynasty).

The Old Gods appear less like a religious system involving gods, and more of a religious system involving spirits, sort of how in Iceland elves and other spirits are still venerated but not treated as gods.

Does that mean that it's an oversimplification or shoehorning to place these religions into a binary option of monotheistic vs polytheistic?

I would say so, when that binary option doesn't even apply to the many diferent spiritual beliefs of our own world.

I suppose the Valyrians followed a polytheistic religion, since they had multiple gods (Vhagar, Balerion, Meraxes).

The remaining religions of the series fall under monotheism (except for The Seven and maybe the Old Gods).

I suppose the Valyrians followed a polytheistic religion, since they had multiple gods (Vhagar, Balerion, Meraxes).

The remaining religions of the series fall under monotheism (except for The Seven and maybe the Old Gods).

V, B & M were Valyrian gods? I never knew that (or I forgot).

V, B & M were Valyrian gods? I never knew that (or I forgot).

“Aegon’s dragons were named for the gods of Old Valyria,” she told her bloodriders one morning after a long night’s journey. “Visenya’s dragon was Vhagar, Rhaenys had Meraxes, and Aegon rode Balerion, the Black Dread. ACoK, Dany, XII

There is no monotheism is ASOIAF, just polytheism and dualism like Zoroastrianism and Christianity.

Off-Topic:

Sorry but Christianity IS a monotheistic Religion whether you like it or not.

I really find it annoying when someone plays smart-ass just to provoke. Dont play with the beliefs of others when you apparently have no clue.

Off-Topic:

Sorry but Christianity IS a monotheistic Religion whether you like it or not.

I really find it annoying when someone plays smart-ass just to provoke. Dont play with the beliefs of others when you apparently have no clue.

Not playing smart ass, Christianity is dualism like Zoroastrianism. That's without even getting into the trinity. This is based on fact not belief. You have the right to make your comments on the topic, I have the right to make mine.

Not playing smart ass, Christianity is dualism like Zoroastrianism. That's without even getting into the trinity. This is based on fact not belief. You have the right to make your comments on the topic, I have the right to make mine.

Technically, Christianity is a monotheistic religion that is often practiced as if it were a dualist religion. Most of the depictions of Satan come from either apocrypha or third party sources. In his actual depictions he is either A) an evil, but ultimately minor adversary that is less than the shadow of a shadow of God's power (as apposed to the weaker than Ahura Mazda, but in the same league Angra Mainyu) or B) a servant of God that exists to test mans faith.

Also, the Faith of the Seven is by all appearances a completely monotheistic region as it lacks any sort of opposition to the Seven.

Not playing smart ass, Christianity is dualism like Zoroastrianism. That's without even getting into the trinity. This is based on fact not belief.

No it is not. Maybe for some sects but surely not for the major Christian confessions (Catholic, Lutherian and Orthodox churches).

If Christianity is dualistic then Islam is as well.

This is not the place to discuss this further.

Archived