Tywin & Manderly

Kevvy

During ACoK, while at Harrenhal, we see Tywin talking with Wylis Manderly; simple enough - just two nobles talking to each other.

But then I thought: 'This is Tywin Lannister, surely he's up to something'.

I can't help thinking that he'd have put pressure on Manderly - "the cause of the Young Wolf will soon be over", "we've captured you once...", "If your father where to die, you'd be the Lord of White Harbour".

Long story short; as much as I hope the GNC to be true, I've developed a bad feeling that Wylis Manderly will betray the North and, in turn, his father.

He'd get there sooner if something tragic was to happen to Wyman. And Tywin Lannister seems the type of person that would inspire fear even after his death. For the Stark thing, surely not everyone in White Harbour believes that?

And this is based on a conversation whose content we know nothing about... Tywin couldn't have offered him anything that Wylis already hasn't... I mean, he is the heir of White Harbor... All in all, I don't think so... Not when his daughters are such Stark loyalists...

A lot has changed since then. Yeah, Robb's dead. So is Tywin. The Boltons and Freys are surrounded by enemies in the North and the Lannisters are spent. Wylis has also been kept a prisoner in pretty appalling conditions and was forced to participate in cannibalism. Even if Tywin's offer had been attractive at the time, Wylis would be a complete and utter idiot to try anything now.

I know this is hard for the Tywin crowd to accept, but not everyone is going to turn into a treacherous weasel just because Tywin whispers in his ear.

A lot has changed since then. Yeah, Robb's dead. So is Tywin. The Boltons and Freys are surrounded by enemies in the North and the Lannisters are spent. Wylis has also been kept a prisoner in pretty appalling conditions and was forced to participate in cannibalism. Even if Tywin's offer had been attractive at the time, Wylis would be a complete and utter idiot to try anything now.

I know this is hard for the Tywin crowd to accept, but not everyone is going to turn into a treacherous weasel just because Tywin whispers in his ear.

This +

And this is based on a conversation whose content we know nothing about... Tywin couldn't have offered him anything that Wylis already hasn't... I mean, he is the heir of White Harbor... All in all, I don't think so... Not when his daughters are such Stark loyalists...

If he acted against his father openly his sisters would take him down.

You guys are assuming that they were talking about anything important. It could have just been casual small talk. Maybe they're both diehard fans of the same mummer's troupe ("Did you catch the new Royal Rhymers' show down in White Harbor?" "I know! Lewyn Rivers was hi-larrious!")

You guys are assuming that they were talking about anything important. It could have just been casual small talk. Maybe they're both diehard fans of the same mummer's troupe ("Did you catch the new Royal Rhymers' show down in White Harbor?" "I know! Lewyn Rivers was hi-larrious!")

^

I'm starting to hope this is actually the case

I'm not sure what Tywin and Wylis talked about. Probaly Wylis was upset over the food. Arya mentioned that he was always in the kitchens looking for food. The next time around Ser Gregor fed him human flesh. Jaimie said that he collapsed at his feet and wept in a fetal posistion when he announced that he had been freed. The Freys and the Boltons killed his younger brother at the RW. I could see him being a little twitchy, his wife seems to be, but its really hard to see this guy getting in bed with the Lannisters. His Father did kill the Freys at White Harbor, baked them into pies and served them at Ramseys wedding. I think Wylis and his heir and eldest daughter are complicit in this and approved of it in light of the treatment he and his family have been given.

Tywin also wrote letters to White Harbor offering Wyllis back if Wyman brought his levies home. He was just feeling out the Northmen in order to see who he could work with in an attempt to undermine Robb. This is likely how he got in touch with Roose (who, interstingly, is the only lord other than Manderly who would have been able to communicate with Tywin independently)

I always read the conversation to be mirrored in the contents of the letter Tywin sent Wyman. Basically, Wylis is being ransomed, but this is contingent on his good behavior, and when he gets home, he is to tell his father and everyone else that Tywin is a pretty decent guy, and White Harbor had better live with the king's peace. If Wylis swears to do just that, he will get home no problem. If not...

Archived