Cersei: tragic villain?

Celes

I feel she always was bad if anything besides her is to blame it is her parents for having her. Part of her failure is the fact she is very low cunning while thinking she has high cunning. Very few of her ideas are productive.

She believes everyone around her is below her cause she is a Lannister. She often refers to the Tyrell's as up-jump stewards. Which I found funny with reference to how her proposal for marriage with Rhaegar was rejected.

On a side note, I am currently rereading AFOC. Every time I read her chapters all I can hear in my head is Katy Perry's "hear me roar"

What's tragic is how Martin ruined her character to a large degree with the Maggy the frog's prophecy. A real shame.

A thousand times this

Cersei had all the qualities of a potentially great tragic character, but then Martin went and pulled the valonqar prophecy out of left field and made Cersei evil from the start, which is considerably less interesting than a character that is shaped by tragic events in her life

I third this. Maggi has to be the most unnecessary plot device in the books.

I'm afraid I think she's just a wrong'un. Her only redeeming feature is her love for her children.

Even this is questionable. Does she love them, or love them as an extension of herself and their ability to grant her the power she has always craved?

A high born lady who thinks herself above her own station.

Queen then Queen Regent who believes she should have been a better King.

She truly believes that the seven should be eight.

Commits incest because hey kings and queens do it,and what better person to mate with then a mirror image of herself.

Has zero compassion.

Tragic villain she is not.

Can anyone remember the 10 commandments? I wonder if she has broken them all?

I have to wonder if Cersei's enormities are so... enormous... that they become a kind of interstitial when people think about the character. Such a massive spike it gets thrown out because it just doesn't fit a normal profile.

Because global dwarf genocide.

As in, Cersei wants people scouring the world killing every man with dwarfism they come across on the chance that one of those people is Tyrion. She rewards false positives with money so as to ensure people do not stop doing this. So people are scouring the world killing every man with dwarfism they come across because Cersei is subsidizing a global genocide with the royal purse; with her child's authority, name, and professed interest.

She'll be burning in hell. You wouldn't be marring your soul much if you spat on her grave. She's removed herself from human consideration in life. The conventions of law and custom ought not apply to her. She is bad. Notably bad.

What? She isn't rewarding false positives with money. Tyrion is a convicted regicide and kinslayer, so there is naturally a bounty on his head. She threatens to have two such idiots executed but relents because she's afraid others might then hesitate to bring Tyrion forward.

So, yes she is doing an awful thing in that she doesn't punish the idiots who're out killing random dwarves but she isn't rewarding them or ordering the slaughter of dwarves either.

I third this. Maggi has to be the most unnecessary plot device in the books.

Absolutely. I'm not a fan of Cersei but if the prophecy is introduced to make her a more tragic character then it didn't do its job. Now it just makes Cersei look like a rather cartoony villian.

Absolutely. I'm not a fan of Cersei but if the prophecy is introduced to make her a more tragic character then it didn't do its job. Now it just makes Cersei look like a rather cartoony villian.

It's a plot device from a Grimn fairy tale. All she needs is a talking mirror and a poisoned apple.

What? She isn't rewarding false positives with money. Tyrion is a convicted regicide and kinslayer, so there is naturally a bounty on his head. She threatens to have two such idiots executed but relents because she's afraid others might then hesitate to bring Tyrion forward.

So, yes she is doing an awful thing in that she doesn't punish the idiots who're out killing random dwarves but she isn't rewarding them or ordering the slaughter of dwarves either.

Replace subsidize with inciting, then.

It's a plot device from a Grimn fairy tale. All she needs is a talking mirror and a poisoned apple.

"Magic mirror in my hand, who is the fairest in Westeros?" - "My Queen, you are the fairest in Westeros."

I can totally see that. :lmao:

Even this is questionable. Does she love them, or love them as an extension of herself and their ability to grant her the power she has always craved?

Yeah, there are a few instances when her children and her power are conflicting interests, and without exception her reaction was anger/resentment directed towards the former.

"Magic mirror in my hand, who is the fairest in Westeros?" - "My Queen, you are the fairest in Westeros."

I can totally see that. :lmao:

Isn't that what Maggi says though? "My queen, you are fair 'tis true/ But soon comes one fairer far than you"

Archived