Cersei: tragic villain?

Celes

Cersei had a pretty awful life despite being a decent person at the start, which is why I think she acts the way she does now. She was abused by Robert, she couldn't marry Rhaegar, she had to live with the fear of her death by the valonqar, her son died in front of her, and so on.

What do you guys think?

Cersei is hungry for power and she had a great chance to rule as Queen Regent for years with no problems, Tywin left things in good shape for her. With Highgarden she would have had the power to destroy the ironborn threat and Bolton was dealing with Stannis in the north. A faceless man to kill Dany and a good political move to deal with (f)Aegon would keep things in peace until Tommen came of age.

She ruined it everything with her paranoia, saddly.

I still hope she manages to do something great now with Ser Robert Strong behind her.

I'm afraid I think she's just a wrong'un. Her only redeeming feature is her love for her children.

Even then her children probably would have been better off without her "love." She treats Tommen abysmally when he starts demanding some of the privileges of being king. Or when he cries at Tywin's funeral.

I don't think she was decent person at any point in her life. By the age of ten, she was already killing her friends out of jealousy (Melara), or pinching his baby brother in his penis (as Oberyn notes).

Also, most of the tragedies that occur to her are ones of her own making. If she bothered to treat Tyrion nicely, she would never have any reason to fear him or his "valonqar-ity". Had she been fair to Tyrells, they would have no reason to plot against her. Had she (and Robert) raised Joffrey to be decent individual, he would not have been killed on his wedding day. So, no, I don't think of her as "tragic" in any form.

I do feel some pity towards her for being married and abused by Robert, but that's not nearly enough to justify or explain all of her monstrosities and crimes.

Cerse was never decent. Torturing her baby brother and threatening servants with dismemberment age eight, murdering a friend age ten, all of it before any of the "hardships" you mentioned hit her. I put hardships into "" because of the not marrying Rhaegar part, which, frankly, is ridiculous. Don't want to downplay the abuse though.

Pretty awful life? She was a trueborn and a highborn. Not so awful life.

Decent person? She did killed Melara and abused Tyrion from the day he was born.

As for her marriage to Robert, yes he was abusive but she was also abusive.

As for Rhaegar, we all fancy someone. Is the fact that we don't end up with him/her a reason to call our life awful?

well, boo hoo

everyone has shitty things going on with their lives ,that doesn't allow them to do whatever they want or let them get a pass

and what's this talk of cersei being decent , that's just delusional.

cersei is a horribl person

Decent person? She did killed Melara and abused Tyrion from the day he was born.

As for Rhaegar, we all fancy someone. Is the fact that we don't end up with him/her a reason to call our life awful?

:agree: she lived a privileged life

Pretty much this. Cersei's circumstances were pretty good, and a damn sight better than most people. She made her life what it is. If anything or anyone is the tragedy of Cersei's life, Cersei herself is it.

If she's had an awful life, 98% of people on GRRTH are just plain fucked.

To me, that's rather 99,999%.

Let's summarize that "awful life" that she has had:

-She gets born to the most powerful Lord Paramount of the seven kingdoms

-Her father is the richest man in the realm

-She is one of the most beautiful women in the realm (and in a society like Westeros, where beauty is of great importance, that is a major asset)

-She has a privileged upbringing at her father's seat and does not have to work a day in her life

-She has a loving mother and when this mother dies aunts and other female relatives to step into that role (Aunt Genna for instance)

-She marries the king and gets to be queen

Sure, Robert is not the husband of the year, but I doubt her relationship with Jaime would have let her become happy in any marriage. If she had only given him a trueborn son before cuckolding him with her own brother (and a member of Robert's kingsguard) a lot of her actions would not have been necessary and the War of the Five Kings could have been prevented.

What's tragic is how Martin ruined her character to a large degree with the the Maggy the frog's prophecy. A real shame.

A thousand times this

Cersei had all the qualities of a potentially great tragic character, but then Martin went and pulled the valonqar prophecy out of left field and made Cersei evil from the start, which is considerably less interesting than a character that is shaped by tragic events in her life

I've always found it shocking that Cersei has as many supporters as she does. In terms of villainy, shes only one step up from Ramsey and Joffery. I would say she is beyond question the least redeeming POV character. The only other POV lacking redeeming qualities is probably Victarion but hes such a simpleton that its hard to really dislike him as much. All the rest of the POVs are impossible to paint as fully good or bad, as Martin intended.

Archived