Lady Rulers and the Right of the First Night

Tywin Manderly

Do you think that there have been noblewomen ruling in their own right who have exercised the Right of the First Night? For example, in Dorne, or on Bear Island or Skagos?

In respect of the newly-wed wife or husband?

The Targaryens abolished the right of first night a long time ago, right? (It's kind of a rapist concept anyway) The only people who kept to it were isolated backwaters like the Umbers and the Boltons I think. I can't imagine the relatively egalitarian Dornish allowing any of their lords and ladies to just rape smallfolk at will -- I'm sure it happens there but it's probably not codified into law. And I want to hesitate to demonize the Skagosi any more than they already are.

Still, they could boast how they spent a night with a Queen.

Alright then, maybe I underestimated the importance of bragging rights in that context.

The Targaryens abolished the right of first night a long time ago, right? (It's kind of a rapist concept anyway) The only people who kept to it were isolated backwaters like the Umbers and the Boltons I think. I can't imagine the relatively egalitarian Dornish allowing any of their lords and ladies to just rape smallfolk at will -- I'm sure it happens there but it's probably not codified into law. And I want to hesitate to demonize the Skagosi any more than they already are.

Yes, Jaehaerys I at the urging of Good Queen Alysanne. As they were grandchildren of Aegon I, we can conclude that at least formally, the right of the first night has been outlawed for over 2 centuries.

Archived