Where was Varys all through Dance with Dragons?

Brienne for Queen

Lollys?

Seriously I thought about that as well. Maybe he was one of the mummers doing that puppet show about the Lannisters. And I saw an interesting theory about Qyburn, Taena, the High Septon and someone else who I can't remember being Varys' puppets

i have to do the reread man, for me it's weird books 4 and 5 are fuzzier than 1 2 and 3, and my reading of 4 and 5 were more recent. werent there priests or something granting cersei to read the (equivelent of) bible for her repentence when she was in there? again im fuzzy on the details thats why im rereading everything.

The possibility of him being still hiding in the passages was mentioned by cersei if I remember, or was it Tyrion? Anyway he couldn't live this entire time in the dungeons he would have to leave to eat or something. Also the fact that the possibility has been mentioned in someone's thoughts makes it less likely to have happened.

As to the possibility of him being a faceless man, can faceless men change their body shape? Being fat and bald, it would be risky to wander around in KL he could still rise suspicions if seen from behind.

Definitely in the bowels of King's Landing.

In the show however, I think they're going to change it up and have Varys go with Tyrion across the Narrow Sea to meet with Aegon. While Tyrion will be abducted by Mormont, Varys will continue with Aegon, make his way back to Westeros, just in time to kill Kevan.

I believe he was in King's Landing, I've only read the series once, Although ALOT slower then most books i read...., so i speak from my instinctual response, rather than from research response. I read the book with the idea in my head that he was in kings landing popping up here and there. I mean he was the one man with knowledge of the ins and outs of the "under city" so he could technically show up where he wanted and dissapear. It is said this system under the actual city was everwhere so...

• 3 weeks later...

Varys = Hooded man at winterfell

This is undoubtedly correct.

Here's the Hooded Man passage; pay careful attention to the parts in bold:

Farther on, he came upon a morbidly obese man shuffling silently in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak made of fine silk flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly, and the man's fragrant lavender perfume penetrated the snowy wind. The man wrung his hands. “Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer,” Varys said, swirling the wine in his cup.

“I’m not. I never ... I was ironborn.”

And yet, False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and giggled. “Just so... I leave you to him, then.”

It couldn't be more obvious without coming right out and saying that it's Varys himself.

Varys is just behind the scenes like the epilogue shows cause he's moslty stirring it up if you know what i mean an i thik you do. Mostly he just is making shit go down, stoking power and just being a friggin baddass with a capital ASS. Even without balls he's got the most balls in the seven kingdoms like if I had to pick who has the most balls no question its Varys.

Hanging with the new High Septon getting him all worked up. Think about it. It makes a lot of sense. All of a sudden a new Septon comes in, starts getting the faith behind and the FIRST thing he does is be a dick to Cercei. The Faith is the one who requests a trial. Once the faith convicts and beheads Marg but lets Cersei walk the Tyrells will flip and chaos will ensue Good old Aegon will"save" Kings Landing instead of conquering it. Varys had to be doing something this whole time. Why not weaken power in KL while Aegon is on his way

Varys most likely was behind the Mummer's Play which takes place during aFfC, since it seems to be predicting Aegon's invasion and the defeat of the Lannisters (as wel as portraying Robert's murder). While I doubt that he has recruited Qyburn, it might be that he feeds Qyburn information, either by disguising himself and selling secrets to Qyburn which are most likely false (either completely or partly), or by using a middleman (which would be a bit more dangerous).

That Varys was the hooded man at Winterfell is extremely unlikely. It has become impossible to travel from KL to Winterfell and back again quickly, and Varys was still in KL in the first few weeks of 300 AL, and at the end of aDwD, which takes place in the last months of that year. The North itself has become impossible to travel. Varys is not the hooded man.

Maybe Varys was the Mummer, thus YG becomes the Mummer's dragon.

There were four puppeteers, and Cersei allowed Qyburn to keep two of them for his experiments. Qyburn later mentions that the puppeteers are, as he puts it, "quite used up". That's why he eventually get's Falyse.

So even though I love the idea of Varys having been one of the four puppeteers, the one who held the dragon puppet, I doubt he actually was. It sounds as if the puppeteers died, since those which Qyburn did not get, got the axe. And it's never mentioned anywhere that a puppeteer escaped. Since they mention the two puppeteers that have been quite used up by the experiments, I guess it would have been mentioned if there was one that got away :)

Archived