Where was Varys all through Dance with Dragons?

Brienne for Queen

He first went to the black cells and cleaned his stuff out and left an old Gardner coin under a brick in his quarters. After that probably hid in Tywin's corpse for a while, then moved into the hole in Gregor's side until the heat was off. Then he dressed up as a woman and went back to the house he put up shae in. He probably dresses up as a begging brother when he needs to get around in daylight and he might have a boat at the docks for some relaxation time when he is not scheming. Although I have no textual proof, I think he would have to be sending Q-burn some misinformation as Q was using all of V's "sources."

Qyburn took over Varys' little birds, no? That may be how he feeds him false info. They are loyal to Varys.

Qyburn made use of all the spies who flocked to his side when Cersei let it be known that Qyburn was now the person who would pay you for your secrets. She never says it were children.

Also, mute children would draw attention, especially the ones who can read and write, since they are orphans and low born and such. So Qyburn probably doesn't have the acces to the little birds, but he does have the acces to the people who sell their secrets for a little bit of coin.

That said, in aFfC I believe, Qyburn mentions to Cersei that there is a mummer's play in KL, about all these mighty beasts, who are being defeated by the proud lioness. Even the mighty stag (obviously King Robert or Renly) gets killed by the lioness. But then a dragon shows up at the end, and he devours the lions. Everybody cheers.

This most likely came from Varys. It was supposed to show the small folk from KL that when Aegon (the dragon from the play) shows up, he will devour the lions, freeing all the people from their power. Varys is probably giving a subtle hint to the people here, about what is going to happen, so they'll know what to do when the time comes.

Also, not only small folk watch this puppet show. Also higher borns. They might get the meaning behind the play sooner...

I also reckon Varys stayed in KL observing plotting arranging things. When talking to Kevan he seems to be completely informed about everything happening at Court, about Cerseis and Kevans doing...so it looks to me as if he has not been far away. But if it is of importance where he has been and what he has been doing we will know....some time!

Cersei also mentions that she can sometimes hear "mice" behind the walls of the Red Keep. These are Varys' little birds that she hears, so apperently, they still do use the secret passages to listen to people's secrets.

Also, Varys' little birds were called little mice back in Pentos. The fact that Cersei tells herself it's only mice she hears, and not anything else, is incredibly ironic. :D

i actually want to support the idea that varys was there the whole time, and not even in hiding, i want to believe he assumed the role of someone the whole time. im on a reread right now, first one, agot. gonna take awhile to get to adwd to analyze

what is great about the books is he could be anyone, on the show if we saw varys posing as lets say, a hooker from littlefingers brothel. that would be so blatantly hilarious to the point they should just call him out on it.

cersei: varys, i know it's you, i can see you wringing your hands.

hooker: i dont know what your talking about dearie *little children whisper in his ear*

cersei: your leg stubble is poking right through your fishnets!

hooker: i do so enjoy going natural, the men love it *gets handed a letter from illyrio RIGHT in front of cersei*

cersei: then WHO was that then?

hooker: oh, a client my dear, no one to worry about *blatantly takes off blonde wig, exposing bald head, puts on a brown one*

cersei: varys i just saw your entire FACE!

hooker: *powders her face*

Oooh... I like this. I don't necessarily think its true, but I DO like it.

Also, it has been some months since I finished the series, and I'm already forgetting quite a bit. Why does Varys feel the need to hide anywhere? Is it common knowledge that he helped Tyrion escape, or what?

Tyrion escaped through the secret passages, and killed Tywin because he sneaked through them. The secret passages are found when Tywin's body is discovered along with Shae's body. Varys was the only one who could have known about the passages.

Like Varys says when Ned asks him if he wants to help him escape. "Questions would be asked, and the answers would lead back to me."

Varys knows that, even though no one knows how to get acces to the passages, everyone knows that Varys does. They just don't ask him about it, because then it would become grand knowledge, and no secrets could be kept in the Red Keep.

The fact that he indeed disappeared with Tyrion only confirms he indeed was involved in it.

Ridiculous and blasphemous.

there never was a varys, it was always jaqen hgar the whole time.

nah but seriously when i reread it, i want to see if theres anyone aroudn there that could suit varys being in disguise. even if its one of the people tending to Cersei when she's imprisoned.

there never was a varys, it was always jaqen hgar the whole time.

nah but seriously when i reread it, i want to see if theres anyone aroudn there that could suit varys being in disguise. even if its one of the people tending to Cersei when she's imprisoned.

Lollys?

Seriously I thought about that as well. Maybe he was one of the mummers doing that puppet show about the Lannisters. And I saw an interesting theory about Qyburn, Taena, the High Septon and someone else who I can't remember being Varys' puppets

Archived