Hard to re-read dead characters' arcs?

caliquenor

Hi all, first topic here!

I am currently re-reading the books, from the beginning, in order, all chapters, no skipping. The thing is, I am having a really hard time re-reading some parts related to dead characters at the end of ADWD, especially the ones related to Robb and Catelyn. And when I say hard I mean that I am not really interested in that anymore, not that it is painful because I know it will end at the Red Wedding, and how it ends...

However, I am finding really interesting to re-read other dead characters, like Ned's arc, and to see all the small details that led to his death. And some others, like everything related to Joffrey or Khal Drogo (before Dany gets stuck at Meereen, of course).

So, my question is, are you finding some dead characters more interesting than others in the re-read? What do you think is the reason?

My reasons for Robb-Catelyn, I am finding the whole subplot quite pointless, and many stupid decisions in the way. I can see that Ned was surrounded by politics beyond his control, a very complex plot, but the events leading to the Red Wedding seem now boring.

Thanks for reading!

That seems normal to me. Personally I don't like Catelyn at all, and I never have. The Robb-Catelyn story arc is largely dependent on the reader's hope that Robb's army of North men can get to King's landing and secure some kind of vengeance for Ned, and maybe even kill Joffrey in the process and put somebody competent on the Iron Throne. Since we all know that that did not happen, there is virtually nothing interesting to be explored by re-reading that particular part of the books, although I think that I would enjoy it simply because it has been a while since I read it.

However, with certain characters like Ned and Joffrey, the ones you enjoy reading about, there is still a significant amount of mystery surrounding them, even posthumously. The most obvious example would be the R + L = J theory, a theory which heavily involves Ned and therefore re-reading all there is to re-read about Ned would probably yield some interesting details that lead you to support or reject that theory.

As for Khal Drogo, I wouldn't say he is involved with much mystery that is still pertinent to the story, but he's just really fucking cool and I can imagine it's fun to re-read the earlier Dany chapters to watch her development as a character.

I haven't started a re-read yet, but I plan on it, and I expect to run into certain parts of the book that I don't really interest me as much as they did the first time around.

Perhaps you could subscribe to some other re-read strategies that involve you reading only one character at a time? A huge problem I had while reading the books the first time was I would read a chapter and get so invested in that character during that chapter (Arya, for example), that I wouldn't want to read the next chapter because I just wanted to read more about Arya.

Give it a shot! Couldn't hurt :)

I think that in rereading Catelyn and Robb, you should keep in mind that this pair of characters is the way Martin shows the effect of the War of Five Kings in a very personal, family-oriented way. Cat's story is essentially one of grief and loss. She is constantly losing the people she cares about even though her son is winning every battle he fights. They keep winning and winning, but in reality, they're losing on a very personal level and I think the sense of despair and anguish in her chapters is quite poignant, especially as she starts to feel as though she no longer can contribute because Robb keeps shutting her out. I'm not really certain why people fixate on the mistakes the characters in the story so strongly. Part of being human is being presented with a set of choices and trying to choose as best as you can.

So, my question is, are you finding some dead characters more interesting than others in the re-read? What do you think is the reason?

I'm currently on ADWD (my third go around) and I have to agree. I couldn't stand re-reading Cat and Early Sansa chapters, as well as the Dany in Mereen Chapters. After Belewas wipes the floor with the Mereenese Hero the story drags until Drogon returns.

I don't think I can suffer the torture of reading A Feast For Crows again. It was a real slog to through the first time, and as I reread the series, I find myself slowing in anticipation of that book.
I had a tough time reading the events leading up to the Red Wedding in the first place, but I knew Robb was going to die as soon as they proclaimed him King of the North.

I feel sad when rereading Catelyn's chapters, but I haven't lost interest in her story. I pay attention to details while rereading, and even tough I know how it's going to end, analyzing them keeps me interested. If I dislike the character/chapter, I just skip it. I have skipped all Daenerys chapters so far (It's not that I don't like her, but I still don't see her story as part of the main plot).

I have to say, i have ground to something of a halt in the run up to the Red Wedding....well, end of the Red Wedding, i've read Arya and Sandor's near arrival and everyone's sat down to dinner. I'm kind of stuck at the point where Roose Bolton has just excuse himself to go to the loo...or so he claims....It's not that i have any affection for Robb in particular (winner in my view of "least interesting Stark kid, including Jon Snow")

I'll probably start again as i was sort of doing a kind of Ned+Catelyn re-read, and apart from a few choice reminisces from Stannis and gossip from Godric Borrell, i don't think there's much left. Still, if i stop now then at least i won't have to worry about Ramsay and Jeyne's wedding, now that's reeeaalllly unpleasant.

Can you do re-reads of Non-POV characters? A Littlefinger re-read would be interesting.

I liked the re-reads on the Robb and Cat chapters because it gives us some insights into characters who are still alive.

Characters who were just kind of furniture/extras in the begining and have become more important later/

For example Lord Manderly, Roose Bolton, Olyvar Frey, The Blackfish, all the Freys, all the other northern bannermen, etc.

For me all of the Bran chapters after Winterfallen and pretty much all the Dany chapters ever are boring and I skip them.

Bran because little happens, and Dany because I just don't like her.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that in rereading Catelyn and Robb, you should keep in mind that this pair of characters is the way Martin shows the effect of the War of Five Kings in a very personal, family-oriented way. Cat's story is essentially one of grief and loss. She is constantly losing the people she cares about even though her son is winning every battle he fights. They keep winning and winning, but in reality, they're losing on a very personal level and I think the sense of despair and anguish in her chapters is quite poignant, especially as she starts to feel as though she no longer can contribute because Robb keeps shutting her out. I'm not really certain why people fixate on the mistakes the characters in the story so strongly. Part of being human is being presented with a set of choices and trying to choose as best as you can.

I know this is irrelevant to OP, but reading Catelyn chapters for the first time, this was my impression of Cat especially. I've been reading the forums for quite some and I've never seen anyone make the same case about the Cat's character arc.

I don't have a hard time re-reading dead characters' arcs, but I find them more interesting. In fact, I find the whole series more interesting because on the first read, I was anxious to see what was going to happen next and I missed many details.

Cat is one of my favorite characters and the only PoV that almost brought tears in my eyes prior to RW. I like reading her chapters slowly, imagining everything. Maybe because I miss her from the rest of the books. It's actually like re-living the whole story, really.

Since you know anyway how is it going to end (up to ADwD), maybe you should ask yourself why read the books again in the first place.

You are perfect and so is this post. Bless you.

Archived