Baby Names of Ice and Fire

RhaenyraTargaryen

You can't possibly know how far ASoIaF will reach. It might be a classic in fifty years or two-hundred years.

Once a girl was the first one to be named Wendy.

Correct, though I'm fairly certain that it won't reach further than Peter Pan.

Edmond is a name if literature as well as Annabel, Oliver, Stella, Alice and Daisy.

Many of there names come from literature and film not half as known as Peter Pan, yet we don't look down on "Stella", even though it wasn't a name 60 year ago.

GRRM's created names a mostly beautiful and i believe at least a few till one day be common names. The parents hwo named there kids Envy Burger and Sloth Washton is perhaps the ones to criticize, if anyone.

I'll concede that it's perfectly acceptable to name your child after a character from a book, provided that the name isn't ridiculous. I'll never do it, but it's acceptable, maybe even a good thing. I just sensed the tone that you only thought it would be cute to have a little Daenerys, in which case my point still stands: don't give your child a "baby name".

Many of there names come from literature and film not half as known as Peter Pan, yet we don't look down on "Stella", even though it wasn't a name 60 year ago.

I hate to disillusion you, but Stella was in use as a women's name over a hundred years ago, at least. I had a great-aunt with that name and she was born before 1900. There was a movie, Stella Dallas, that came out in 1925.

I hate to disillusion you, but Stella was in use as a women's name over a hundred years ago, at least. I had a great-aunt with that name and she was born before 1900. There was a movie, Stella Dallas, that came out in 1925.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification!

I like the Targaryen names, particularly Aerion, Aerys, Rhaegar, Rhaelle and Viserys... But most of them -if not all of the names from the book, actually- would sound ridiculous in my country. Rhaenyra might pass, maybe Daena and Elaena. Andrey (=Andrew) is a pretty common male name here. Bran would rise few eyebrows.

Aerys and a Rhaenyra would be my first two choices. :cool4:

Doctors without name are the best.

:lol: I got it.

Most likely the doctor that will be treating you in 30 years will be named Khaleesi.

That gave me the idea ... imagine the dialogue:

-Nice to meet you, I am Doctor Khaleesi.

-Doctor who?

-Yes, quite right, it is from a TV show. But from Game of Thrones.

-Khaleesi? That`s a title, not a name.

-It`s all I have.

If you're not certain, you can always add it as a second name.

Make the first name a short, common one, and then add the uncommon. I don't know if people from the english-speaking world like two names, but in Portuguese it's fairly common. (Specially because in Portugal you can't come up with any name you want. You actually have to choose from a list of approved names. That's why portuguese people often have two names, so there's at least some creativity involved).

-Doctor who?

-It`s all I have.

:cheers:

then DrKhaleesi meets Paramedic Daario and:

Paramedic Daario: Hello sweetie!

DrKhaleesi : What?

Paramedic Daario: Spoilers!

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1151

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 846

-Doctor who?

-It`s all I have.

Or better yet!

- My title is Doctor. My name is Khaleesi, which means Queen.

- Doctor Quinn? Your parents named you after that horrible TV Show?

Yes it seems sweet, but what happens when they grow up? Imagine them introducing themselves, trying to give a good first impression. Imagine them going for a job interview.

Oh my god, are you kidding? Can you imagine that interview?

"Why do you think you'd be good for the job?"

"BECAUSE I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN, OF THE HOUSE JOHNSON. IF YOU DENY ME THIS JOB, I WILL TAKE IT BY FORCE. YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU DEFIED ME!"

"...You're hired."

I love Lyanna and Arya for girls' names. I think that I'd probably give my daughter a 'normal' first name, and choose Arya or Lyanna for her middle name. :)

Oh and I definitely want to name my future pets ASOIAF names. I think Asha would be a good female name for a dog or a cat; or Ser Pounce for a male kitty. And I think a lot of people are probably naming their dogs after direwolves.

then DrKhaleesi meets Paramedic Daario and:

Paramedic Daario: Hello sweetie!

DrKhaleesi : What?

Paramedic Daario: Spoilers!

:lol:

So Daario would be the River Song of Ice and Fire?

- My title is Doctor. My name is Khaleesi, which means Queen.

- Doctor Quinn? Your parents named you after that horrible TV Show?

Not a Quinn. A Khaleesi.

Archived