Why do some fans think Vic is dumb?

Brad Rivers

Dunk the lunk is thick as a castle wall but I love his ass too. I guess I just have a soft spot of tough knuckleheads.

The Dusky Woman may be an agent of Euron's but I doubt she's Euron himself. Besides being BEYOND twisted if he was banging his brother, I thought glamores only tricked the eye. How would that whip up lady parts for Vic to put to use?

This bugs me. Victarion not only captains his own vesselbut commands a whole fleet. That takes some level of intelligence and sophistication.

The Little Pigeon and the Clanker Lords commands and army as well, but this does not make them tactical genius... quite the opposite, according to how they treat their troops!

...and Renly was on command of one of the biggest armies ever and decided to host a fucking melee tourney in the middle of a war. :uhoh:

Being highborn would account for a lot of it

Of course. But to ispire men into risking their lives and taking care to see that they are maintained on the high seas is so simple task. We're not talking about running a motor pool or driving a truck here. Were talking about command of a navy.

Of course. But to ispire men into risking their lives and taking care to see that they are maintained on the high seas is so simple task. We're not talking about running a motor pool or driving a truck here. Were talking about command of a navy.

Vic probably has authority to murder anybody that fails to do their job, other than that he's a legit badass in battle enough to get respect.

Him hiding his injury from the crew shows what it takes to inspire them and it isn't brainpower.

I can't help but snicker every time he thinks that Dany will willingly go along with him. Sure, leave the life she has made and all of the power and wealth that she amassed to essentially be his sex slave.

....how are you going to get past those dragons,Vic?

Dunk the lunk is thick as a castle wall but I love his ass too. I guess I just have a soft spot of tough knuckleheads.

The Dusky Woman may be an agent of Euron's but I doubt she's Euron himself. Besides being BEYOND twisted if he was banging his brother, I thought glamores only tricked the eye. How would that whip up lady parts for Vic to put to use?

I think what really sells it to me is that Victarion never even considers that the dusky woman might be a spy. I actually don't think that he's stupid for not knowing anything specific about her -- no one would reasonably expect her to be a glamour or something, and even her sending information back to Euron is dicey until they hit land -- but he never seems to even consider that she might not be 100% trustworthy even though Euron forced him to take her with him and he himself admits that Euron's gifts are dangerous. There's a disconnect between those two thoughts that indicates that he isn't thinking very hard.

I like Theon's observations about him in ACOK: "Victarion is like some great grey bullock, strong and tireless and dutiful, but not like to win any races. No doubt, he'll serve me as loyally as he has served my lord father. He has neither the wits nor the ambition to plot betrayal."

Vic isn't very bright, but to say he's "dumb as a stump" is an overstatement, methinks. Yeah, everyone knows a dumb and illiterate woman at sea is an obvious spy, transmitting vital intel to her master over radio waves. And all ironborn must be very familiar with warging abilities. As for "Dothraki sea", anyone who hears of it the first time should figure out what it is right away. Yeah, right!

I wouldn't say he's a complete moron, but he's certainly one of the least (if not the least) smartest POVs. He's got some tactical smarts and skills, but his brain is pretty much always set to "war". He's got no concept of political intrigue, culture, knowledge of the world outside his ship (e.g the Dothraki Sea.). He's single minded and easy to fool.

Vic isn't very bright, but to say he's "dumb as a stump" is an overstatement, methinks. Yeah, everyone knows a dumb and illiterate woman at sea is an obvious spy, transmitting vital intel to her master over radio waves. And all ironborn must be very familiar with warging abilities. As for "Dothraki sea", anyone who hears of it the first time should figure out what it is right away. Yeah, right!

Oh give me a break. He doesn't have to know that. But he never even considers it. He never even wonders, "Why did Euron bully me into bringing this girl with me?" I don't expect him to know anything about warging or even to believe that the girl is a spy, but he never wonders, even as he opines that Euron's gifts are always poisoned, to think that Euron might be 'poisoning' him figuratively by giving him gifts. That's a level of thickness that you don't see outside of Winterfell.

I think that might be it, actually. Victarion isn't just stupid, he's just incurious. He takes everything at face value.

As for "Dothraki sea", anyone who hears of it the first time should figure out what it is right away. Yeah, right!

As the son of a lord paramount, Victarion has no excuse for being uneducated. And as the captain of the most powerful fleet of Westeros, he should be a bit more acquainted with cartography.

Archived