Who Started the Robert's Rebellion War? Was it Rhaegar or his father King Aerys II Targaryen?

Winterfell Resident

After reading all 5 books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", I realized that I am not exactly sure what truly started Robert's Rebellion War.

These are my findings.

In the case of Rhaegar Targaryen he was seen among most people of Westeros as a fine and well-loved prince. He received a lot of praises for a lot of things he accomplished. But, I believe that after he did some reading from a certain book, he began working hard at his fighting abilities and leadership skills. And then all of a sudden he runs off with Lyanna Stark after Lyanna was betrothed to Robert Baratheon.

That was reckless and irresponsible. Why? Because, Lyanna Stark is no ordinary commoner woman of Westeros. She is a Lady of House Stark. One of the Great Noble Houses in Westeros. What could you possibly think would happen if you pull off a stunt like that and not try to contact anybody of your whereabouts and Lyanna Stark's welfare?

The fact that the entire Westeros already knows that King Aerys II Targaryen is crazy and was nicknamed the phrase Mad King, would only drive people to the point of rebelling. What Rhaegar did was simply send a signal to the people of Westeros that I can take any woman I wish, from any house even if she is betrothed to someone else and there will be no repercussions because my father is King Aerys II Targaryen.

So of course Brandon Stark loses his mind and heads to Kings Landing demanding his sister's return and that Rhaegar answers for his transgression. What does Aerys II Targaryen do? He locks him up and demands that his father come to Kings Landing and answer for Brandon's transgression. Rickard Stark then goes to Kings Landing and tries to calm the situation down and to resolve the situation with the return of both Brandon and his daughter Lyanna. No. What does Aerys II Targaryen do? He imprisons his father, orders the execution of Rickard Stark and Brandon, then orders that Robert Baratheon, Ned Stark and Jon Arryn come to court and answer for the transgressions for Rickard Stark.

At some point didn't Rhaegar get word that his Father Aerys II Targaryen(Mad King) was committing these atrocities.

If Rhaegar Targaryen did not know what was going on, then that tells me he was truly irresponsible and did not care what his actions would cause.

If he did know what was going on, then that tells me he just did not care what happened.

In the Case of Aerys II Targaryen. He just began suffering from dreams of fire and blood and was constantly paranoid. Aerys II could not be at fault for what he did. The man was not medically sane to rule the Iron Throne. That was a fact. Any judgement he passed was not one out of sane thought. But who in the 7 kingdoms had the power to tell Aerys II Targaryen to step down and let someone else rule in his place. Nobody. Not even his son Rhaegar.

My final conclusion is this, Rhaegar Targaryen was the one who started Roberts Rebellion. He was the one that brought down destruction on the Targaryen family line. What his reasons for doing what he did other than for Lyanna Starks love remains to be hidden. I suspect there is another reason for Rhaegar Targaryen not truly preventing the war from occurring but I will save this for another posting thread.

You cannot blame Aerys II Targaryen for executing Rickard Stark and Brandon Stark. He would've done that even if it wasn't the Starks. He was beyond saving, mentally. And the Entire Westeros knew of his condition.

Rhaegar Targaryen in my opinon, started the Roberts Rebellion War. He could've prevented it. He just Chose not to.

I would like to hear your take on this. Please reply.

I don't think any one person started the war. They're were a lot of people who contributed to the situation spiralling as out of control as it eventually did. Saying that, it does all come down to Rhaegar's (and Lyanna's if she left with him willingly) actions which were the catalyst for it all.

I don't think any one person started the war. They're were a lot of people who contributed to the situation spiralling as out of control as it eventually did. Saying that, it does all come down to Rhaegar's (and Lyanna's if she left with him willingly) actions which were the catalyst for it all.

True . .

So, if a Targ steals your daughter, sister, wife, fiancé etc. you should just wait it out and hope for the best that she is returned safely, worst case scenario with a bastard in her belly, best case he takes her as one of his wives to spare her the shame. Now, if there is some dumbass, hothead son, brother, father, husband etc. who has the nerve to confront the Targs and demand her return, you should just accept his imprisonment, torture, execution, etc. If you are summoned, you should go of course. If you are then executed, all remaining family members should show up and pledge fealty to House Targ, and beg not to be executed as well. If the Targs decide to execute you, you should accept the end of your House and beg for a swift, fire-less execution.

Meanwhile, the Targ who ran off with your daughter, sister, wife etc. should just continue on. Maybe there are pretty girls in other noble houses, hmm....

I blame Lyanna too just so you know, not just Rhaegar.

I agree with this but anything could have set off Aerys and a rebellion would have started.

Though the Rebellion did spiral out of control and now we have TWot5Ks as a result

So of course Brandon Stark loses his mind and heads to Kings Landing demanding his sister's return and that Rhaegar answers for his transgression. What does Aerys II Targaryen do? He locks him up and demands that his father come to Kings Landing and answer for Brandon's transgression. Rickard Stark then goes to Kings Landing and tries to calm the situation down and to resolve the situation with the return of both Brandon and his daughter Lyanna. No. What does Aerys II Targaryen do? He imprisons his father, orders the execution of Rickard Stark and Brandon, then orders that Robert Baratheon, Ned Stark and Jon Arryn come to court and answer for the transgressions for Rickard Stark.

Perfectly reasonable behaviour, Brandon did threaten the life of the Crown Prince.

The most boring man in Westeros, Ned and The Usurper started the War.

Agree with everything you said. Rhaegar was the one who started the chain of reactions that lead to Robert's Rebellion.

If Rhaegar hadn't disappeared with Lyanna then Brandon had no reason to go to KL seaking Rhaegar out, Aerys wouldn't have arrested him and later tortured, killed him along with Rickard and his companions and he wouldn't have called for Ned's and Robert's heads causing Jon Arryn to call the banners and declaring Rebellion.

Jon Arryn.

If I had to choose between Rhaegar or his pops though, I'd give it to Aerys since war became unavoidable due to his actions. Rhaegar kidnapping and killing a girl...well he could've just been sent to the wall and everyone would've had to suck it up.

Jon Arryn 'started ' it. More on an official term I guess.

But they were alredy some tension: Aerys, Robert and Rhaegard maked it possible.

For me those four were the biggest starters but not the only ones.

Archived