[TWOW]New theory: Young Griff is a true Rhaegar's son + the Reincarnation of Aegon the 5th, and the Children of the forest will support him.

Poupsi

Hi folks, I just read straight the 3 tales of Dunk and Egg and I was thinking of a new theory.

Aegon (or Young Griff) is the true son of Rhaegar and the children are gonna help him because he is the reincarnation of Aegon the fith.

1. Young Griff is Aegon the unlikely.

First, Young Griff is a very unexpected character in asoiaf. He is presented as the known murdered son of Rhaegar which was exchanged by Varys. He lands in the Stormlands with a claim hard to prove and a small army of hard-seasoned fighters, making him a new pretender to the iron throne and a very unlikely one.

On the other hand, Egg is the fourth son of the fourth son of Daeron 2. According to the line of succession he couldn't expected to be king, but in the end he would be. He will be known as Aegon the unlikely.

Furthermore, both personnalities match. They are determined, even stubborn, Egg rebels against authority as Aegon starts to rebel against Jon connington's. Egg wants to follow Ser Duncan against his father's will, and Aegon wants Ser Duckfield as his Kingsguard against Connington's will. Aegon lives amongst fishermen and smallfolks and Egg lived throught the hedges with Dunk.

Varys told Kevan Lannister "Aegon has been shaped for rule since before he could walk. He has been trained at arms, he befits a knight to be, but that was not the end of his education. He reads and writes, he speaks several tongues, he has studied history and law and poetry. A septa has instructed him in the mysteries of the faith since he was old enough to understand them. He has lived with fisherfolks, worked with his hands, swum in rivers and mended nets and learned to wash his own clothes at needs. He can fish and cook and bind up a wound. He knows what is like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid."

When Dunk found Egg under the tree, the later had washed Dunk's clothes and he adds: "And I groomed the horses, made the fire and caught the fish." Later, Dunk will promise him no more than the life of a hedge knight where all he could hope was a knighthood in the end with cheesy food all along.

Moreover, the both act princelings. Bloodraven about Egg :"what happened to the modest boy I once know, and Aegon throwing away the cyvasse table after Tyrion had tricked him to teach him a lesson about treachery.

Both of them has the exact same kind of education and the both act fearlessly. When Egg is excited to see outlaws and eager to live adventures, Aegon wants to lead the attack on StormEnds where he could be easily injured or killed regarless of Connington's will.

Even though, most of the fans things he is fake. There is nothing up to now that prove them right. Instead, Jon Connington recognises Rhaegar himself in the features and in some attitudes of the boy, and Varys would assure to Kevan Lannister that Aegon he is who is pretend to be while Keven is dying (so there is no reason, even for Varys to lie to a dead man).

So Aegon appears to be Rhaegar's son.

2. Rhaegar = Baelor Breekspear + Aerys 1 + Rhaegel

Rhaegar is regarded very highly in the seven kingdoms. Indeed, he was the promise of a great king, if not the greatest. Ser Barristan thought of the day he saved king Aerys as a terrible mistake, and he is haunted by the Trident. Rhaegar, even after his death, still provoques onto people an irrational love. This is a very great similarity regarding Baelor Breakspear. He is regarded as the heir not only by his rightbirth but also by his personnality. And then both dies. Valarr would say about his father: "He had it in him to be a great King, the greatest since Aegon the Dragon."

Furthermore, Baelor is known as a great jouster, one of the best in the seven kingdoms and he is recognised as a true knight and a high skilled warrior. The same is stated about Rhaegar, making his prestige higher as he won the tourney of Harrenhald. Knights are eager to follow him. Baelor is chivalry itself according to ser Duncan. So the comparison sounds really pertinent between those two figures.

Rhaegar is also Aerys the 1st.

In the hedge knight, Raymun Fossoways states that Aerys is very intelligent. Later, as a King, it is recognised that Aerys spends all his time in his office reading scrolls about prophecies while the Hand, lord Bryden Rivers rules the kingdom. That part of Rhaegar's personnality is also known in the book. Ser Barristan told Dany that as a boy, Rhaegar was really bookish and then he read something that made him act differently and became a knight. Maester Aemon revealled to Sam, that he had been keeping correspondence with his greatgrandnephew and that they discuss mostly about prophecies.

Rhaegar is Rhaegel. Another qualities of Rhaegar was is kindness. Rhaegar was described with high regards from everyone who had met him. And mostly because of his kindly manners. According to Raymun Fossoways, Rhaegel is known as gentle, making him his best quality over all. That implies that the prince is popular because of his kindness toward people. However, later he turned lunatic if not crazy, as he walked and danced naked in the redkeep. Even though, Rhaegar doesn't turn bad, he is also recognised as lunatic, spending time alone singing and composing in Summerhall. Of course his least understood act was the kidnapping of Lyanna Stark which sparked the rebellion of Robert Baratheon.

From all we know about Prince Rhaegar, he shares all the qualities, if not the failings, of the three first sons of Daeron 2. As it is implicitly presented in the hedge knight, Maekar's line seems to be the rotten one as is heir is a drunken, the 2nd a monster and the 3rd "unpromising". So it is even marking to see that Rhaegar is the symbol of the 3 best promising prince of Daeron as he is a descendant of Maekar bloodline.

3. Jon Connington = Maekar

Then come Maekar, the 4th son. Maekar is overwhelmed by his sons failures at the begining of the hedge knight and and the greatness of his brothers. As Raymun Fossoways states about Prince Maekar: "not quite as bold as Prince Baelor, nor as clever as Prince Aerys, nor as gentle as Prince Rhaegel". Later he will be responsible of the blow that killed his oldest brother. Maester Aemon would say about that:"And my father...he never thought the throne would pass to him, and yet it did. He used to say that was his punishment for the blow that slew his brother. I pray he found the peace in death that he never knew in life." So, it is obvious that Maekar is haunted by his failure over his brother who should have been the great beloved king of the Seven Kingdoms. That guilt is also present with Jon Connington. Indeed, due to it's failure at the Stoney Sept, Connington feels reponsible for Rhaegar's death. After he deceived the King as his Hand, he was forced to exile, but this appear to him as a well deserved punishment.

Maekar though, will left court after his father's death because he wasn't annoyted Hand of the King. He will stay in Summerhall as a willing exile. Both are willing to get into the Kingdoms business and were waiting their turn to come. Both despise and mistrust the spymasters. Maekar dislikes Lord Bloodraven and Connington hates Varys for his ways and plots. Maekar will finally imprisonned Lord Bloodraven and Connington want to avenge himself over Varys because of the lie that he was dead drunk and a thief.

Maekar is the true Egg's father while Connington is at most an adoptive father to Aegon. But, he plays the bloodfather as the are under disguise as Griff and Young Griff. Connington however, would give a different eduction to Young Griff if he could have as the boy is a Prince from royal blood. Maekar was against the idea to see his son rides the hedges with a baseborn so called knight, but he accepted because of the grief of his brother'death, Baelor.

They share a very similar personnality as well. BloodRaven will describe Maekar like a man of a "prickly nature". He is a rough and demanding warrior and he is highly concern about his honor and pride as he would show when he defended his vile son's honor in the trial by combat. Connington regarding his attitude with Tyrion and the Golden Company utterly match that personnality.

4. Duck = Dunk

The names couldn't be more obvious. Ser Duckfield plays the same role as Ser Duncan the Tall around the prince Aegon. He is the chosen knightly mentor of Aegon. He is a baseborn knight, skilled and strong without reputation, but the prince choses him as his kingsguard cause he likes his personality and he befriends him. Ser Duncan would become one of Egg's Kingsguards and over time they will remain his bestfriend. Maester Aemon said to Sam about his brother: "He sent me North aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend ser Duncan see me safe to Eastwatch."

Furthermore, Connington doesn't like the idea that the first Kingsguard is to be a baseborn unproven knight, no more than Maekar would see his son squire for ser Duncan.

5. Aegon the Rhoynar.

Aegon grew up on the Rhoyne. Or after the first men, the Rhoynars came to Dorne. They kept their beliefs but made peace with the children of the forest. They worships animals, especially those from the Rhoyne as turtle for instance. Their beliefs made be complementary to the Old Gods from the North as they worship Nature.

6. Bloodraven and Daemon's dream.

At the end of the Mystery Knight, Bloodraven mentioned the dream of Daemon Blackfyre 2, pointing that a dragon his born but it was a red one and not a black. When Egg started acting Princely, he suggested to Dunk that his squire is insolent and that he "ought to beat that out of him", then Dunk points out that Egg is a prince and Bloodraven told them "what he is, is a dragon." At this moment, Bloodraven serves a king who cares only about prophecies, not mention that as a greenseer, Brynden Rivers would also have had Green Dreams. So my guess is that Bloodraven didn't mention that part of the dream innocently. He had high regards to the prince and ser duncan, as he gonna reward them not because he is a prince but "within reasons". Indeed, Bloodraven ends the rebellion without a fight thanks to Dunk and Egg. But it is more than that, depite knowing that prince Maekar is gonna anger to that idea, he said "I have half a mind to take you back to Kingslanding with us, and keep you at court as my...guest". I don't think he meant hostage, but likely ward. At this moment, Bloodraven knows that the boy is special and that he will serve a great cause for the realm. He points out that he is a hatched dragon, not only because the prince he is dragonblood but because he might have a great importance regarding the prophecies. He let the boy and his knight leave, not only to avoid prince Maekar anger but also because it might consider better not to interfer with the boy's destiny. I'm sure he kept a closer eye on the prince afterward.

7. The tragedy of summerhall.

Egg will perish in the tragedy of Summerhall. According to ser Barristan, king Aerys and queen Rhaella, thought the conception of Rhaegar is due the tragedy of Summerhall, where apparently there was an attempt to hatch a dragon's egg. So at this point, it wouldn't seem insensible that Rhaegar fathered the reincarnation of an important figure of the prophecy, Aegon the unlikely.

8. Varys = Bloodraven

It is quite obvious that Varys has replaced Bloodraven. A true spymaster with a talent for disguise. On the other hand, Bloodraven was somehow already a bit of the greeseer. And as is living now both in past, present and futur, Egg and Aegon might make no difference to him.

But why Varys is helping Aegon ? Why did he plot such an uncertain and long term strategy ? No one knows for certain, but I'd wager that he is Bloodraven's creature. They've been working together all along. Varys being the eyes Bloodraven couldn't have and plotting to get their champion, Aegon the Unlikely. Bloodraven had been waiting for his champion and his heir to be ready, and stayed alive only for that. He's got 2 heirs, one is Lord Bryden Rivers', Varys, the other is the three eyes raven's, Bran. And then he's got one champion, Aegon.

Before killing Kevan Lannister, Varys declares: "Ser Kevan, forgive me if you can. I bear you no ill will. This was not done from malice. It was for the realm. For the children". Which realm and which children then ?

Targaryens' children. Westeros'children. Or for the realm of men and the children of the forest ???

and leaf to say about the Last Greenseer:

"Most of him has gone into the tree ... He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch."

My conclusion, Varys serves the Children of the Forest and his champion is Aegon the reincarnation of Egg over the other forces. Aegon is called the mummer dragon, has he doesn't know that Bloodraven and Varys are watching him and helping him all along. All of them might be one side in the dance of dragons to come.

Let me know about your feelings.

Nah, not really buying it off the bat. Regardless of whether fAegon is Rhaegar's actual son and a true Targ or not, there is no confirmation of reincarnations in the story. There are second comings prophesied like AA, but we don't even know if that is gonna happen. Even if that does happen, AA is like one of those rare messiah like figures that appear for a very specific purpose like once in 10,000 years. With Aegon the Unlikely, although he seemed like a good guy/king, there was nothing remarkably unique about him that makes him stand out as somebody that would be reincarnated at this moment in that he'd help to resolve some earth shattering conflict.

On top of that, although you draw some interesting parallels between some characters, many of them are just too broad(fAegon and Aegon V displaying independent thoughts/actions during those teen years in which nearly everybody does this to some degree) or too much of a stretch(Maekar and JonCon) to be compelling to me.

You also glaze over some very large differences between the characters you try and draw parallels between. fAegon from our perspective seems to be an unlikely occupant of the IT, from his perspective that's been his entire purpose most of his life devoting countless hours training for the job. With Aegon V it was something he more stumbled into and was living his life in a manner where he wasn't training for the job, but just so happened did things that actually served as good experience for it by ingratiating himself to common folk. Varys and Bloodraven do well in clandestine affairs, are pale, and potentially Targs, but other than that there is nothing verified or even had strong hints so far on a lot of BR's other attributes. BR was a skilled warrior, he was known to partake in the study and practice of magic, was relatively skinny, and was LC of the NW. Varys was a mummer, was professional thief, is chubby, nothing indicates he had much martial prowess, and as far as we know has a strong distaste for magic(obviously this could be a ruse).

The Children of the Forest angle and Varys thing could be an interesting twist and is possible, but I don't see enough evidence yet besides the fact it's plausible in the world to personally make me a believer yet. Overall you compiled some interesting comparisons and possibilities but doesn't fit together neatly enough for me to buy into it.

All I have to say is that you compiled together a nice piece of theory, but that there are a lot of reincarnations there, besides the fact that you glance over some very important things as Kanye Westeros says here. Plus, I always thought Varys meant the children of the realm, (although he cuts out the tongues of children to keep them from talking, which does sound weird indeed) not necessarily the children of the forest.

Sellsword;

well I don't find Egg and Aegon comparison too broad. Asoiaf hasn't provided us much with young lord's son who can wear silks, eat meat everyday and train with skilled master at arms or famous knights, that were willing to sleep hungry under the hedges. You might not be buying the reincarnation, fair enough. I never said they were the same, but there was too much to be avoided, even though, could be just an inspiration for Martin. However, i would fell sorry for you if you need Young Griff to shave his head rather than to paint them to make it more obvious. And tho, you're right, they are not in the same situation, no need to write twice the same book. Young Griff has never known his father, he never set foot in westeros before. All he has is his claim, his father's legacy and he is fighting for it while Egg is one of the latest nephew of the king, but still his fighting verbally or physically to defend the honor of his House (grandfather's, uncles' or father's) everytime he can. They are a few years of difference between Aegon and Egg from the tales. My gut is that Egg would have the personnality as Aegon at his age.

As for Connington and Maekar, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME if it pleases you, nomore that Dunk is Duck but the comparisons still stand. They are both guided by guilt, the guilt of their brothers' death (JC thought of Rhaegar as a brother) and the death of their "kings to be", that they both failed. And then their personnality match really well except that one is prince and one his a exile failure.

I don't see what in my theory says that Varys must practice magic adn be a warrior. Tho, Varys wearing Dark Sister, we couldn't find more hilarious. The master of wispers has spies that for sure, but most likely informers and less likely disguise himself in dangerous missions. Or that the ways of BR and Varys. One who has a thousand eyes and one, the others who has little birds. Both disguised themselves one from magic tricks, the other from acting talents. Can't really think of another high lord known as master of wispers who share any of that, not even Littlefinger. Probably there were no such office before Varys, or maybe there were.

Never said Aegon was AA. I just pointed that he might be important. He might not even be the one who was promised. As a matter of fact, we don't know anything about prophecies. Just that Rhaegar said, in Dany's dream, that the dragon must have 3 heads, and for now, unless a bastard of a bastard of the blackfyres emerges, we are quite short of dragonblood.

Something more Kanye Westeros.

We don't know anything about the reign of Aegon 5. He didn't do too bad as there nothing notable apart that smallfolks loved him. And that he died in Summerhall. He might have been even great. But obviously, according to the dream, he was a true dragon, and not some dude who sit on a vacant chair.

I think Aegon is real (tho GRRM will have to do some backflips to convince some folks), but the reincarnation thing ain't got legs. Even the prophesy of Jon or anyone being Azor Asahi reborn seems to be simply mythic to me. They may be similar in many ways, and hence people may rally to their side believing such, but I rather hope GRRM doesn't rely on such a cheap stunt as reincarnation to decide who rules. I prefer it stays political and power-based, not predetermined by gods.

I dint think he's rheagars son because in the first dunk and egg when talking about bealor it described him as having his dornish mothers features, I admit genetics could be random and I could be totally wrong but just my opinion on aegon bc of his silver hair I think he's someone else

I dint think he's rheagars son because in the first dunk and egg when talking about bealor it described him as having his dornish mothers features, I admit genetics could be random and I could be totally wrong but just my opinion on aegon bc of his silver hair I think he's someone else

I think Aegon is an obvious fake, but the silver hair isn't the reason. GRRM has said that Aegon looked like Rhaegar and Rhaenys looked like Elia.

if your looking for reincarnations i would suggest re-reading The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight again...

dunk the lunk is the true bastard of the story. he is from flea bottom. and if he was last born from a certain unworthiest of kings he would then be the brother of a certain Rivers Bastard.

thus his protecting aegon the unlikely is facilitated by bloodraven from beginning... look at his description of service to plummer in the hedge knight and the Pennytree/Blackwood connection

i would say Ser Ducan the Tall of the Kingsguard has descendants in the Hound The Mountain that rides Brienne and Hodor.

that is all i believe can be taken from the prequel books. aegon is just a device of varys blackfyre

The Children of the Forest angle and Varys thing could be an interesting twist and is possible, but I don't see enough evidence yet besides the fact it's plausible in the world to personally make me a believer yet. Overall you compiled some interesting comparisons and possibilities but doesn't fit together neatly enough for me to buy into it.

Allright nobody buying the reincarnation. I probably wouldn't if it wasn't me who elaborated that one. However, let say asoiaf is full of prophecies. What is a prophecy if not something that nobody understands (or fully understands) until it happens.

Let put aside the reincarnation thing. Even though it' s quite different, the caracters, the events and so on, there is still a reproduced pattern around Aegon that somehow happened even if there nobody behind this.

The parallel between the characters are still present up to some points and that leads me to believe that Aegon is a character who possesses a certain importance in the story. Not saying that he is AA or the one who was promised, but something important lies within him.

I still believe Aegon is Rhaegar'son. I can't see why Varys would have lied about it. He meant what he said leaving only 2 possibilities:

1: Aegon is Rhaegar son and trueborn heir.

2: Varys has a bunch of Aegons up his sleeve.

Let's have a look at the parallel between Varys and BR. Both seem to have the interest of the Realm at heart, not talking about fealty to one king, but they seem to have their own conception of the "realm". As I said, BR concidered taking the prince to KL most likely as his ward (otherwise if he would have felt that "quest" stupid and dangerous for a kin to the king, so he would have sent him back to Summerhall). Instead he left the prince to his free will.

Aegon is a piece in Varys' game (whatever game it is). But a more important one than Viserys and Dany, indeed, from the start he saved the infant, and plan exactly how he would hide him, with whom, and what sort of education he will give him. Aegon is not strictling speaking what I would call a ward to Varys, but he is one of his children. Remember Varys is an eunuch, he was cut and left to die, instead he decided he must have a revenge onto life, and then he survived and trained orphans to help him to spin his web. Aegon is his orphan, trained and educated prince. And then he left him his free will to decide want he must do, with none, or little, or a lot of help from Varys.

Let's take a look now to the orders. At the end of aDwD, there're between 5 to 6 orders that might have an influence on the futur events:

1: the greenseers and the children of the forest.

2: the red priests (nobody knows what they want apart that they want AA) and they all seemed to act differently.

3: the citadel. They have a more subtle and long term efficiency with uncertain allegiances.

4: the faceless men. They doesn't serve anyone apart from the god of Death and the ones who had paid the price. They are very active in spying and are able to act by suppressing individuals.

5: the warlocks of Quarth, they may be just acting only through Aeron Grejoy.

6: Varys'web. Informers and agents and unexpected prince or pretenders.

Now looking at the parallel between Varys around Aegon, and BR probaly having an eye on Egg when he was Hand of the King, here comes the other stuffs: Varys is now the spymaster and BR is still alive as a greenseer. One talks about his little birds and the children (let keep it in it's general meaning). Likely the birds are the spies (Varys eyes and ears) and he using children, or at least at trained his children to be his agents. On the other hand BD got the crows as his main eyes and ears, and the children of the forest to help him out (feeding him, as envoy or whatever they can do). Both seem to defend their conception of the realm, the realm of men.

It would be likely a alliance between the two around the character of Aegon I think, as they might consider him true to his claim, or worth to be defended, or a good option for the realm, or a move worth to make in a more vast and complexe game.

Another one talks and cares about "Children": Doran Martell. He is watching the pools all day when he was at the WG. They seem to take education quite seriously also in Dorne. All the sand snakes are dangerous as their father was and as he wanted them to be, with different talents due to their mothers' backgrounds. The bastard of Godgrace as well, he deflowered the princess but was in love and wanted to marry her. Instead of a punishment, he Squire for most renowned spear in Dorne at that time, the Red Viper and Brother of the ruler of Dorne. It would be too much to presume that was Doran who arranged that, but the BoG had pretty much the education that Quentyn should have had. And the BoG in the Sworn Shield of the princess now. Doran is capable of turning a situation and a person into his side making the best with what he has, and he pays a great attention to his youngest subject. Doran his a extention of Varys.

So there is a logic and legitimate alliance between the children of the forest, Varys and Dorne. What could possibly make them work together. The answer is Aegon.

Aegon, the Rhoynar, with blood half dragon and half dornish

Tho I don't think the dornish will support him at first sight. They are too dubious and too carefull to risk anything. But GRRM told the pov dornish were add to make the reader understands the dornish "reaction". Something will happen that will provoque an important reaction from dornish, probably something that will outrage Doran Martell (could be a siege of Storm's End from the Tyrells with Arianne stuck in it).

Back to that possible and involuntary alliance, this might cover the North with the greenseer (with a little of the rest of the kingdom), Kingslanding with Varys and Dorne with well, the Dornish. Pretty much all Westeros. From Dorne to the Wall.

Hi folks, I just read straight the 3 tales of Dunk and Egg and I was thinking of a new theory.

Aegon (or Young Griff) is the true son of Rhaegar and the children are gonna help him because he is the reincarnation of Aegon the fith.

First, Young Griff is a very unexpected character in asoiaf. He is presented as the known murdered son of Rhaegar which was exchanged by Varys. He lands in the Stormlands with a claim hard to prove and a small army of hard-seasoned fighters, making him a new pretender to the iron throne and a very unlikely one.

On the other hand, Egg is the fourth son of the fourth son of Daeron 2. According to the line of succession he couldn't expected to be king, but in the end he would be. He will be known as Aegon the unlikely.

Furthermore, both personnalities match. They are determined, even stubborn, Egg rebels against authority as Aegon starts to rebel against Jon connington's. Egg wants to follow Ser Duncan against his father's will, and Aegon wants Ser Duckfield as his Kingsguard against Connington's will. Aegon lives amongst fishermen and smallfolks and Egg lived throught the hedges with Dunk.

Varys told Kevan Lannister "Aegon has been shaped for rule since before he could walk. He has been trained at arms, he befits a knight to be, but that was not the end of his education. He reads and writes, he speaks several tongues, he has studied history and law and poetry. A septa has instructed him in the mysteries of the faith since he was old enough to understand them. He has lived with fisherfolks, worked with his hands, swum in rivers and mended nets and learned to wash his own clothes at needs. He can fish and cook and bind up a wound. He knows what is like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid."

When Dunk found Egg under the tree, the later had washed Dunk's clothes and he adds: "And I groomed the horses, made the fire and caught the fish." Later, Dunk will promise him no more than the life of a hedge knight where all he could hope was a knighthood in the end with cheesy food all along.

Moreover, the both act princelings. Bloodraven about Egg :"what happened to the modest boy I once know, and Aegon throwing away the cyvasse table after Tyrion had tricked him to teach him a lesson about treachery.

Both of them has the exact same kind of education and the both act fearlessly. When Egg is excited to see outlaws and eager to live adventures, Aegon wants to lead the attack on StormEnds where he could be easily injured or killed regarless of Connington's will.

Even though, most of the fans things he is fake. There is nothing up to now that prove them right. Instead, Jon Connington recognises Rhaegar himself in the features and in some attitudes of the boy, and Varys would assure to Kevan Lannister that Aegon he is who is pretend to be while Keven is dying (so there is no reason, even for Varys to lie to a dead man).

Rhaegar is regarded very highly in the seven kingdoms. Indeed, he was the promise of a great king, if not the greatest. Ser Barristan thought of the day he saved king Aerys as a terrible mistake, and he is haunted by the Trident. Rhaegar, even after his death, still provoques onto people an irrational love. This is a very great similarity regarding Baelor Breakspear. He is regarded as the heir not only by his rightbirth but also by his personnality. And then both dies. Valarr would say about his father: "He had it in him to be a great King, the greatest since Aegon the Dragon."

Furthermore, Baelor is known as a great jouster, one of the best in the seven kingdoms and he is recognised as a true knight and a high skilled warrior. The same is stated about Rhaegar, making his prestige higher as he won the tourney of Harrenhald. Knights are eager to follow him. Baelor is chivalry itself according to ser Duncan. So the comparison sounds really pertinent between those two figures.

Rhaegar is also Aerys the 1st.

In the hedge knight, Raymun Fossoways states that Aerys is very intelligent. Later, as a King, it is recognised that Aerys spends all his time in his office reading scrolls about prophecies while the Hand, lord Bryden Rivers rules the kingdom. That part of Rhaegar's personnality is also known in the book. Ser Barristan told Dany that as a boy, Rhaegar was really bookish and then he read something that made him act differently and became a knight. Maester Aemon revealled to Sam, that he had been keeping correspondence with his greatgrandnephew and that they discuss mostly about prophecies.

Rhaegar is Rhaegel. Another qualities of Rhaegar was is kindness. Rhaegar was described with high regards from everyone who had met him. And mostly because of his kindly manners. According to Raymun Fossoways, Rhaegel is known as gentle, making him his best quality over all. That implies that the prince is popular because of his kindness toward people. However, later he turned lunatic if not crazy, as he walked and danced naked in the redkeep. Even though, Rhaegar doesn't turn bad, he is also recognised as lunatic, spending time alone singing and composing in Summerhall. Of course his least understood act was the kidnapping of Lyanna Stark which sparked the rebellion of Robert Baratheon.

From all we know about Prince Rhaegar, he shares all the qualities, if not the failings, of the three first sons of Daeron 2. As it is implicitly presented in the hedge knight, Maekar's line seems to be the rotten one as is heir is a drunken, the 2nd a monster and the 3rd "unpromising". So it is even marking to see that Rhaegar is the symbol of the 3 best promising prince of Daeron as he is a descendant of Maekar bloodline.

3. Jon Connington = Maekar

Then come Maekar, the 4th son. Maekar is overwhelmed by his sons failures at the begining of the hedge knight and and the greatness of his brothers. As Raymun Fossoways states about Prince Maekar: "not quite as bold as Prince Baelor, nor as clever as Prince Aerys, nor as gentle as Prince Rhaegel". Later he will be responsible of the blow that killed his oldest brother. Maester Aemon would say about that:"And my father...he never thought the throne would pass to him, and yet it did. He used to say that was his punishment for the blow that slew his brother. I pray he found the peace in death that he never knew in life." So, it is obvious that Maekar is haunted by his failure over his brother who should have been the great beloved king of the Seven Kingdoms. That guilt is also present with Jon Connington. Indeed, due to it's failure at the Stoney Sept, Connington feels reponsible for Rhaegar's death. After he deceived the King as his Hand, he was forced to exile, but this appear to him as a well deserved punishment.

Maekar though, will left court after his father's death because he wasn't annoyted Hand of the King. He will stay in Summerhall as a willing exile. Both are willing to get into the Kingdoms business and were waiting their turn to come. Both despise and mistrust the spymasters. Maekar dislikes Lord Bloodraven and Connington hates Varys for his ways and plots. Maekar will finally imprisonned Lord Bloodraven and Connington want to avenge himself over Varys because of the lie that he was dead drunk and a thief.

Maekar is the true Egg's father while Connington is at most an adoptive father to Aegon. But, he plays the bloodfather as the are under disguise as Griff and Young Griff. Connington however, would give a different eduction to Young Griff if he could have as the boy is a Prince from royal blood. Maekar was against the idea to see his son rides the hedges with a baseborn so called knight, but he accepted because of the grief of his brother'death, Baelor.

They share a very similar personnality as well. BloodRaven will describe Maekar like a man of a "prickly nature". He is a rough and demanding warrior and he is highly concern about his honor and pride as he would show when he defended his vile son's honor in the trial by combat. Connington regarding his attitude with Tyrion and the Golden Company utterly match that personnality.

4. Duck = Dunk

The names couldn't be more obvious. Ser Duckfield plays the same role as Ser Duncan the Tall around the prince Aegon. He is the chosen knightly mentor of Aegon. He is a baseborn knight, skilled and strong without reputation, but the prince choses him as his kingsguard cause he likes his personality and he befriends him. Ser Duncan would become one of Egg's Kingsguards and over time they will remain his bestfriend. Maester Aemon said to Sam about his brother: "He sent me North aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend ser Duncan see me safe to Eastwatch."

Furthermore, Connington doesn't like the idea that the first Kingsguard is to be a baseborn unproven knight, no more than Maekar would see his son squire for ser Duncan.

5. Aegon the Rhoynar.

Aegon grew up on the Rhoyne. Or after the first men, the Rhoynars came to Dorne. They kept their beliefs but made peace with the children of the forest. They worships animals, especially those from the Rhoyne as turtle for instance. Their beliefs made be complementary to the Old Gods from the North as they worship Nature.

6. Bloodraven and Daemon's dream.

At the end of the Mystery Knight, Bloodraven mentioned the dream of Daemon Blackfyre 2, pointing that a dragon his born but it was a red one and not a black. When Egg started acting Princely, he suggested to Dunk that his squire is insolent and that he "ought to beat that out of him", then Dunk points out that Egg is a prince and Bloodraven told them "what he is, is a dragon." At this moment, Bloodraven serves a king who cares only about prophecies, not mention that as a greenseer, Brynden Rivers would also have had Green Dreams. So my guess is that Bloodraven didn't mention that part of the dream innocently. He had high regards to the prince and ser duncan, as he gonna reward them not because he is a prince but "within reasons". Indeed, Bloodraven ends the rebellion without a fight thanks to Dunk and Egg. But it is more than that, depite knowing that prince Maekar is gonna anger to that idea, he said "I have half a mind to take you back to Kingslanding with us, and keep you at court as my...guest". I don't think he meant hostage, but likely ward. At this moment, Bloodraven knows that the boy is special and that he will serve a great cause for the realm. He points out that he is a hatched dragon, not only because the prince he is dragonblood but because he might have a great importance regarding the prophecies. He let the boy and his knight leave, not only to avoid prince Maekar anger but also because it might consider better not to interfer with the boy's destiny. I'm sure he kept a closer eye on the prince afterward.

7. The tragedy of summerhall.

Egg will perish in the tragedy of Summerhall. According to ser Barristan, king Aerys and queen Rhaella, thought the conception of Rhaegar is due the tragedy of Summerhall, where apparently there was an attempt to hatch a dragon's egg. So at this point, it wouldn't seem insensible that Rhaegar fathered the reincarnation of an important figure of the prophecy, Aegon the unlikely.

8. Varys = Bloodraven

It is quite obvious that Varys has replaced Bloodraven. A true spymaster with a talent for disguise. On the other hand, Bloodraven was somehow already a bit of the greeseer. And as is living now both in past, present and futur, Egg and Aegon might make no difference to him.

But why Varys is helping Aegon ? Why did he plot such an uncertain and long term strategy ? No one knows for certain, but I'd wager that he is Bloodraven's creature. They've been working together all along. Varys being the eyes Bloodraven couldn't have and plotting to get their champion, Aegon the Unlikely. Bloodraven had been waiting for his champion and his heir to be ready, and stayed alive only for that. He's got 2 heirs, one is Lord Bryden Rivers', Varys, the other is the three eyes raven's, Bran. And then he's got one champion, Aegon.

Before killing Kevan Lannister, Varys declares: "Ser Kevan, forgive me if you can. I bear you no ill will. This was not done from malice. It was for the realm. For the children". Which realm and which children then ?

Targaryens' children. Westeros'children. Or for the realm of men and the children of the forest ???

and leaf to say about the Last Greenseer:

"Most of him has gone into the tree ... He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch."

My conclusion, Varys serves the Children of the Forest and his champion is Aegon the reincarnation of Egg over the other forces. Aegon is called the mummer dragon, has he doesn't know that Bloodraven and Varys are watching him and helping him all along. All of them might be one side in the dance of dragons to come.

You made me not only an Aegon fan but a bit of a Targ fan too.

Actually you are wrong. Varys say Aegon he doesn't say Aegon who and from the moment that there are others in the room with them he has to lie. JonCon sees what he wants to see. Even if FAegon is real he wasn't the unlikely heir like Egg he was the first row heir. I wont even start to explain how different FAegon and Egg are.

Rhaegar is regarded very highly in the seven kingdoms. Indeed, he was the promise of a great king, if not the greatest.

Who said that?

Baelor was recognized as a highly skilled warrior but Rhaegar was recognized as a highly skilled jouster. After all he took place in only one battle. Baelor was a true knight. I don’t think that someone can say the same for Rhaegar. Baelor fought against his family because that was the honorable thing to do, Rhaegar turned his back on his family because LittleRhaegar told him so. Baelor took part to the BR when Rhaegar was hiding away.

This.

+ Points for creativity but not buying it.

Baelor took part to the BR when Rhaegar was hiding away.

Never thought of that. However, I must insist that I see a reproduced pattern rather than exact same characters.

But here is a thing about Baelor. He was pretty much lenient toward his uncle Daemon Blackfyre and his claim at the beginning of the rebellion, that's because he was family I guess.

It was the Bloodraven who applied a rough policy against the Blackfyres and not Baelor, that was Brynden Rivers who defeated the Blackfyres strategically, politically and militarily, Baelor and Maekar making act of presence if I dare say, to reprensent the King.

So, I guess you're giving me a new argument in that matter.

As for what Varys said, I agree there might still be confusion. However he didn't lie (if he wanted, he could have just kill Kevan silently I guess), so the question is how many Aegons does Varys have. Don't understand Varys game, but what would be the point in that one tho. Unless for those crazy stuff about the Blackfyre conspirations or bastard Targ conspirations, I guess if they're true, the next books might be confusing and quite creepy.

Aegon, real or fake, is one of Varys' children. He had a hand in his education from the start. Like Varys' agents, trained from childhood, Aegon is varys' orphan prince (with or without dragonblood). A mummers dragon doesn't necessaraly means the dragon is fake but that there is dragon with someone behind, if we really needs to regards that kind of quote.

Archived