Moqorro and the Cinnamon Wind

Maester Feelgood

Moqorro and the crew of the Cinnamon Wind seem to have little to no correlation but upon further examination I have made some connections that have convinced me otherwise. The CW has a penchant for being in the right place at the right time and may IMHO may be an informant/messenger for Moqorro and in turn Benerro.

Moqorro = Qorro Mo

We know (or can assume for the sake the argument) that Melisandre's haunting dreams of "Melanie, Lot 7" mean that she was once named Melanie. Also, all of the Red Priests lack a surname, where at least some should have once had one. By that reasoning, once confirmed as a clergymen or during their training, they are re-named. Melanie was thus reborn as Melisandre, Priest and servant of R'hllor. If that's true it stands to reason that Moqorro went through a similar transformation. Melisandre is similar to Melanie, so perhaps Moqorro's original name is also similar.

I would postulate that Moqorro's former name was Qorro Mo, or if you stare deeper into the cracked pot perhaps even Qurulu Mo. This makes his name oddly similar to that of Quhuru Mo, Captain of the CW, his daughter Kojja Mo and son Qurulu Mo. They are also all similar in appearance and build.

"The man he brought with him wore a cloak of green and yellow feathers and had skin as black as polished Jet." Dany ACoK

Right place at the right time

We first meet the CW in Quarth where Captain Quhuru Mo is presented to Dany. He says he is there to give the gift of news concerning King Robert's death. But I suspect he is only there to view the dragons.

"You have brought me a precious gift." "I have been amply repaid, great queen." She puzzled at that. "How so?" His eyes gleamed. "I have seen dragons." Dany ACoK

You don't hear of Benerro until he is preaching that Dany is Azor Ahai in Tyrion's ADwD chapter. And yet, to come to that conclusion he must have wanted physical evidence of Dany and her dragons. For that he would turn to his closest advisor Moqorro to see it done. In my theory Moqorro then sends for the CW and they go to meet her in Quarth.

After leaving Quarth the CW is supposed to be making the Jade Sea trade circle. They claim to have been in Oldtown 6 months prior, and will see Dany in Westeros a year or more later. This means that the CW is circling near Slaver's Bay during all of Dany's initial conquests. Then as Dany settles in as Queen of Meereen the CW would be free stop watching her movements.

On their way to Braavos where we see the CW next they will pass Volantis. There they could report back to Moqorro and make up for any lapse in timing.

All this could be coincidence until Sam enters the Happy Port Brothel to fetch Daeron.

The Cinnamon wind is waiting for Sam

"There were candles burning and a fire crackling in the hearth. Someone was sawing on a fiddle, and he saw two girls dancing around a red priest holding hands." Sam AFfC

"Elsewhere an older woman with huge beasts was turning tiles with a massive Summer Islander in black-and-scarlet feathers." Sam AFfC

Not only is a red priest present at Xhondo and Sam's first meeting but he curiously has two girls dancing about him. Xhondo is turning tiles with the older women, and unless he has an "old lady playing board games" fetish, he's killing time at a brothel where the girls are readily available. Not to mention we later learn he is in a seemingly committed relationship with Kojja Mo.

My guess is that Xhondo and the red priest showed up together and paid for the two dancing girls time so they would have a reason to be there. Then the red priest sat by the fire and Xhondo struck up a game. The girls had to do something for their money as the two waited for Sam. Who I suspect was really only a conduit to get to Maester Aemon.

A red priest aboard the Cinnamon Wind

Sam often mentions the size of the CW while he is attempting to hide from (sucessfully) Gilly's advances. A red priest, Moqorro or otherwise, could easily blend in. Especially if glamored or just staying out of sight in his or the Captain's cabin.

Why would the priest hide himself though? Sam's only experience with red priests is Melisandre. They were all sent on this journey to avoid her fires and the burning of Aemon and Mance's son. Aemon's opinion of them seems less than stellar to begin with. He would probably turn down the ride if it meant running from one red priest and straight into the clutches of another. As would Sam for that matter.

It's hard to say how Xhondo, the red priest, and the rest of the CW would know of their mission to get away from Melisande. I assume the priest saw it in the flames and acted accordingly.

Kojja Mo

"Kojja Mo was the Captain's daughter, taller than Sam and slender as a spear, with skin as black and smooth as polished jet. She captained the ships red archers too and pulled a double-curved goldenheart bow that could send a shaft four hundred yards." Sam AFfC

Kojja, like Quhuru and Moqorro, is described as having the same signature "as black as polished Jet" skin. I would say the skin tone is a family trait but given that Xhondo looks very much the same it's more likely regional or tribal. The Summer Isles (if that is in fact where their from) has many island offshoots besides the main three. Also, Other Summer Islander's like Black Balaq from the Golden Company, Jalabhar Xho and I suspect the dusky woman are described as having skin like soot and charcoal-earthy.

Kojja takes a serious interest in Gilly's baby. She becomes the only person Gilly really trusts. Kojja even sacrifices her time with Xhondo after Aemon's funeral to watch the child. All the while Xhondo and Kojja are also constantly pushing Gilly and Sam at one another. I'd say she's buying time to create a relationship with the child and keeping Sam's mind occupied so he doesn't start asking questions.

Almost on a side note, Kojja captain's the ships archers. The archers are called the red archers. That name just feels like another coincidental reference to red priests, red temples and red everything else's.

Oldtown and Qurulu Mo

"Ser Gunthor had studied at the citadel for several years and spoke the summer tongue, so he and Qurulu Mo adorned to the Captain's cabin for a privy conference." Sam AFfC

This is literally the first and only time Qurulu is mentioned. Lord Hightower's son personally coming aboard for a private conversation in the Captain's cabin only to speak the summer toung seems a bit suspect.

We know that Gunthor's father, Lord Leyton Hightower, is "locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, consulting books of spells." That statement alone brings Azor Ahai and TPwwP prophecy to mind. At the same time he has all of his sons building ships and preparing for war. If the ships are simply to fend off the Ironmen why all the spell books?

Qurulu and Gunthor's conversation is odd at best. Especially as it follows on the heels of a random second inspection of their holds, done by Gunthor himself. If a red priest was aboard, he was there for that conversation.

Marwyn's role.

"Get myself to Slaver's Bay, in Aemon's place. The swan ship that delivered Slayer should serve my needs well enough."

"Where has he gone?" Asked Sam, bewildered. "To the docks. The Mage is not a man who believes in wasting time." Alleras smiled." Sam AFfC

So, Marwyn basically tells Sam to find a bed and runs off to book passage immediately, leaving Sam confused like he's been for the entire journey. If Marwyn was expecting Sam then he likely expected the CW. He may even be in league with with the Hightower's or the red priests.

It makes me wonder if, when Sam wakes up, will everthing be the way he left it? Will the cask holding Aemon's body be there? Will Gilly and the baby? Will the Cinnamon Wind? All of the the major spells and prophecies call for Kings blood to complete and there is no shortage on the CW. A fact which I suspect Marwyn is full aware.

Conclusion

If Moqorro was at the red temple receiving information from the CW (with or without a red priest on board), it passes Volantis with every known leg of its Journey. Giving the the ship the time and opportunities to make regular information drops.

If Moqorro himself was on the CW with Sam until Oldtown, he'd have just enough time to make it back to Volantis and take his doomed voyage on the Selaesori Qhoran, depending on your math.

Regardless of Marwyn's allegiance and the Hightower's plans, Moqorro could have sent the CW on from Oldtown with Marwyn. Thus giving himself time to infiltrate the Ironmen. Then he can get ahold of Dragonbinder and meet back up with the ship and its cargo in Meereen.

There's more to the Cinnamon Wind than we're being told and hope you agree.

This is my first post so go easy and I look forward to your speculation.

Wow nice post!

I kind of got confused at the last part, starting from Leyton Hightower, could you explain it further I find this topic very interesting.

Thanks, I will try to explain it a little better. I'm writing all this off a mobile device so it gets a little tough keeping things coherent.

Basically, Oldtown is where the Cinnamon Wind is harbored prior to meeting Dany in Quarth. It's the only location we know they been to multiple times. We know this because Quhuru Mo tells Dany it's where they left from and also because of the private conversation between Gunthor Hightower and Qurulu Mo.

When the CW first approaches Oldtown's harbor they're stopped by a ship called the "Huntress." You never get the captain's name but he's described as wearing a "smoke-grey cloak with a border of red satin flames." The description of his smoke and fire cloak just fueled the fire for me. The captain searches their holds and does so.

Just before the captain leaves you get the most interesting quote.

"The Hightower must be doing something."

"To be sure. Lord Leyton's locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, consulting books of spells. Might be he'll raise an army from the deeps. Or not."

This always seemed ominous to me especially as the captain seemed to harbor him no ill will for turning to spells in a time of war. But then Leyton is also planning for more conventional war devices. As ordered by Willis Tyrell I believe.

"Baelor's building galleys, Gunthor has charge of the harbor, Garth is training new recruits, and Humfrey's gone to Lys to hire sellsails. If he can wrinkle a fleet out of his whore of a sister, we can start paying the ironmen back with their own coin."

A couple things stood as interesting in that description. One is Humfrey's gone to Lys at about the same time the Golden Company will arrive and set sail. Gunthor is the harbor master and if Humfrey did hear something about incoming ships Gunthor would know.

The other is, who is his "whore sister?" Does the captain mean Humfrey's sister or Leyton's, is she in Oldtown or Lys. It's not super important though.

So, they cabin sails off and the CW heads into Oldtown. Right upon getting there they are subject to yet another inspection. This time by Gunthor Hightower personally, which ends up being what I think is a cover for the conversation between Gunthor and Qurulu Mo.

The concept of those two having a private conversation in the captain's cabin, in a foreign language, during a second inspection, purely for academic reasons seems like bull to me.

If any of the things I've speculated about the CW are true (either they're carrying a red priest, carrying Moqorro, Qurulu is a red priest or Moqorro, or the CW is a messenger/informer for Moqorro) then the private conversation is much more than it seems.

Leyton consulting spell books probably means he is just as caught up in the prince who was promised prophesy as the rest of the world. He may even have been given that idea by a red priest. All we know is Leyton sent Gunthor to meet them immediately or Gunthor had been waiting for or expecting them. So many possibilities.

If I'm right then the CW is carrying the blood of 2 Kings on it in the form or Aemon Targaryen's body and Gilly's Aemon Battleborn. So then Gunthor is now up to speed by talking with the mysterious Qurulu and their plotting who knows what.

And lastly you have Marwyn, seemingly the leader of his own radical, pro magic, club at the Citadel who just wants to protect Dany in Aemon's place. Marwyn himself may be connected to Hightower and have a hand in all this. He definitely sees things in the flames, glass candle or not. And now he is basically sprinting for the ship.

I'm afraid when Sam wakes up the next day and goes to get Gilly and the Baby the whole lot of them will be gone and heading for Slave's Bay.

Other Summer Islander like Black Balaq from the Golden Company, Jalabhar Xho and I suspect the dusky woman are described as having skin like soot and charcoal-earthy.

The Dusky Woman is deacribed to be similar to Missandei and so probably from Naath.

This post contains a ton of info, and you make some extremely interesting connections, but it is honestly quite hard to follow. I would recommend taking a longer look at your theory and re-posting it (or editing OP) maybe even with titled sections to make it more cohesive. This post definitely has potential for a really good discussion.

I would also say that your points about the names are much weaker than some of the other things you point out. We don't know, for instance, that Melisandre is Melanie. It could have been her mother or sister or daughter or anyone really. And the Summer Island names could be extremely similar only because the people are from the same region or tribe.

You try to map out the CW journey and timeline, and I think that's awesome and we should definitely try to work that out as definitively as we can with the info we know. I totally forgot CW was in Qarth, and I could definitely see the captain seeing the dragons on the orders of Red Priests. The abilities of the Red Priests to see into the future gives a lot of credit to the points you make. I would definitely like to see all this discussed more. Nicely done OP!

Interesting thoughts, good post

Btw, I think (and its commonly assumed) the "whore sister" refers to Leytons sister Lynesse Hightower. She is in Lys, as the concubine of some Lysene merchant or prince or something. The one that married Jorah Mormont. Not that it has much to do with your posts, but that's who it is referring to

:agree:

And I think the OP has made a pretty good catch.

Also if you go back to Danny's wedding shower at Drogo's manse in Pentos some of the invited guests are Summer Islanders along with a Red Priest bigger than Illyrio. This may also be Moqorro, and the Cinnamon Wind crew as well.

Having Red Priests involved in the story casts a lot of questions on what's been going on. How much that has happened has been happenstance and how much has been the product of the Red Priest visions? (For example did Illyrio give Dany the dragon eggs as a simple wedding gift, or did a Red Priest have a vision that she woudl be the Mother of Dragons?)

This post contains a ton of info, and you make some extremely interesting connections, but it is honestly quite hard to follow. I would recommend taking a longer look at your theory and re-posting it (or editing OP) maybe even with titled sections to make it more cohesive. This post definitely has potential for a really good discussion.

I would also say that your points about the names are much weaker than some of the other things you point out. We don't know, for instance, that Melisandre is Melanie. It could have been her mother or sister or daughter or anyone really. And the Summer Island names could be extremely similar only because the people are from the same region or tribe.

You try to map out the CW journey and timeline, and I think that's awesome and we should definitely try to work that out as definitively as we can with the info we know. I totally forgot CW was in Qarth, and I could definitely see the captain seeing the dragons on the orders of Red Priests. The abilities of the Red Priests to see into the future gives a lot of credit to the points you make. I would definitely like to see all this discussed more. Nicely done OP!

Thank you and I agree totally. I am gonna try editing the OP. The moment I posted and read it back I basically slapped myself on the forehead. It reads too much like a stream of consciousness and not how I intended. I thought the quotes would break it up enough but I was clearly wrong.

Props to the poster who connected Lynesse Hightower also, I'm now convinced it is.

Interesting thoughts, good post

Btw, I think (and its commonly assumed) the "whore sister" refers to Leytons sister Lynesse Hightower. She is in Lys, as the concubine of some Lysene merchant or prince or something. The one that married Jorah Mormont. Not that it has much to do with your posts, but that's who it is referring to

Also Edric Storm and his companions are there... And it is where the GC rallied their ships...lot of stuff is happening in Lys...

In an effort to put together a time line for the Cinnamon Wind's whereabouts I came across Errant Bard's Global timeline. I also referenced a timeline created by Mountain Goat. Special thanks to both of them for their hard work and incredible results.

Jan 299 AL - The CW leaves Oldtown.

Coincidentally this occurs at approximately the exact same time the red comet appears in the sky and the dragons are hatched. If this is their reason for setting sail they would've need a red priest to see this in their flames and send them for confirmation.

June 299 AL - The CW is at Quarth.

Upon meeting Dany Quhuru Mo confirms that they were in Oldtown 6 months prior. When asked about when they were last in Tall Trees Town Quhuru simply says "before." He goes on to say they will make the Jade Sea trade circle and return to Westeros "in a year or more."

Oct. 299 AL - The CW leaves the Jade Sea.

April 300 AL - The CW is at Oldtown.

The timing works out that when Dany settles in Meereen the CW should have finished the trade circle and begun heading back. That same logic and their previous trade stops would put them back in Oldtown. Again, coincidentally that is the approximately the exact same time Sam and company leave the Wall on the Blackbird.

June 300 AL - The CW is at Braavos.

Sam has already been in Braavos for a month when the CW wind arrives. The CW's journey from Oldtown to Braavos takes three months as we know from their journey back with Sam. This keeps their journey right on schedule as they are near Westeros exactly one year after meeting Dany.

Sept. 300 AL - the CW is at Oldtown.

This is where we see them last. They drop off Sam and he meets Marwyn, who in turn runs straight back to the CW. Marwyn tells us he is heading to Slaver's Bay which will take four plus months to reach.

Jan. or Feb. 301 AL - the CW arrives at Slaver's Bay.

If the CW does in fact take on Marwyn or are even expecting him, this would catch us up with the events happening in Meereen at the end of Dance. The CW would be right on the Iron Fleet's heels and ahead of the Volantines fleet.

You could even speculate that Marwyn is the perfumed seneschal. The Cinnamon Wind or fragrant breeze (perfumed) arriving with Marwyn (seneschal). Make of that what you will.

Just a couple points - I think the Volantene fleet is already at Meereen when Vic arrives, so that was backwards.

Also....is anyone else kind of bothered how Marwyn took off as soon as he met Sam, but Sam was supposed to go back to the boat to get Gilly? Did the CW take off again with Gilly on board? Aemon's corpse as well of course. I am sure that will have some future important use.

Just a couple points - I think the Volantene fleet is already at Meereen when Vic arrives, so that was backwards.

Also....is anyone else kind of bothered how Marwyn took off as soon as he met Sam, but Sam was supposed to go back to the boat to get Gilly? Did the CW take off again with Gilly on board? Aemon's corpse as well of course. I am sure that will have some future important use.

No the whole point with Victarion's plan is to be there before the Volantese, so the Slaver's Bay navies just think it's Volantis coming when they see sails on the horizon.

That fact stuck out to me as well.

"Marwyn glanced at Sam again, and frowned. "You...you should stay and forge your chain...... He turned to the pasty faced novice. "Find Slayer a dry cell. He'll sleep here, and help you tend the ravens."

Marwyn basically tells Sam to stay put and runs out the door. Sam is still sputtering and asking questions as the door shuts. He wouldn't even know he was heading to the docks if Alleras didn't tell him.

Also, Sam told Gilly he would be back the next day with a cart for Aemon and horses with a Wagon to take her to Horn Hill. At this point it's getting late and Gilly may be asleep not expecting Sam. She might not even know the ship's left until the morning and then where's she gonna go. I don't think the ship will be there when he gets back.

Another sinister thing about Marwyn is the glass candle he uses. I said a little further up that he could be the perfumed seneschal. The of the first things Quaithe says to Dany is "the glass candles are burning." I believe Quaithe used a glass candle to appear in Meereen. Then one of the last things she says "beware the perfumed seneschal."

I know glass candles have a lot of different functions. What if they're like the Palentir in LoTR. That could imply that Quaithe can see what others see in the candles or that she has even communicated with Marwyn and is part of it.

Archived