[BOOK SPOILERS] Where will season 5 end?

The Eunuch

Dany has to fly Drogon by the end of season 5, they need him in the pit for the trailer.

Don't you think your judgment is motivated by your bad reception of book 4?

I can understand that some readers hated book 4 because their favorite characters where not in it while they waited 5 years to read about them... But the series won't have this problem because it would be mixed up with the first part of book 5. The list of cliffhangers I gave is valid.

AFFC and ADWD are undeniably full of pointless filler. Brienne's journey? What did we gain from that in terms of plot? Quentyn has some rather boring chapters before he dies. What was the point of that? Dany has 10 chapters in ADWD, dealing with enemies who are in no way related to the rest of the story.

I (mostly) really like AFFC and ADWD, but the idea that they need 2 or more seasons for them is ludicrous. They will need 1.5 seasons at most and the 0.5 part will happen this season.

Your opinion is ignoring the plain facts of what everyone connected with the show has stated.

Everyone connected to the show is contradicting each other. Economic reasons and marketing reason (for season 4) leads me to think there is no reason to believe it will be rushed.

By the way, the purpose of this topic was to talk about where book 4 and 5 would be cut "asuming there will be 2 seasons of it". You may not believe it will be the case, then don't participate.

AFFC and ADWD are undeniably full of pointless filler. Dany has 10 chapters in ADWD, dealing with enemies who are in no way related to the rest of the story.

I don't think the "fire" part in the "Ice and fire" should be cut off because it is "filler". Maybe you think Dany should have fly to Westeros in book 2 to burn everyone, and the books would have been soooo better. But also so small...

I personaly liked Brienne parts, developing her character, dealing with former enemies, meeting many characters (like the priest dwarf whose head is later send to Cersei, or maybe the next High Septon, and Gendry, Pod...) and of course, Lady Stoneheart.

I don't think the "fire" part in the "Ice and fire" should be cut off because it is "filler". Maybe you think Dany should have fly to Westeros in book 2 to burn everyone, and the books would have been soooo better. But also so small...

:huh: Are you saying quantity is more important than quality?

I personaly liked Brienne parts, developing her character, dealing with former enemies, meeting many characters (like the priest dwarf whose head is later send to Cersei, or maybe the next High Septon, and Gendry, Pod...) and of course, Lady Stoneheart.

I liked some of the stuff too, but I guarantee that much of it will be cut for TV.

:huh: Are you saying quantity is more important than quality?

No. I'm saying that the quality of this series relies on its huge level of details.

Seeing that nobody wants to answers my first question (which was "where would you cut both books assuming there will be two seasons of it"), this topic can be closed.

No. I'm saying that the quality of this series relies on its huge level of details.

I respectfully (but strongly) disagree. For most viewers, the quality depends on good characters, plot twists, some fantasy and boobs.

Seeing that nobody wants to answers my first question (which was "where would you cut both books assuming there will be two seasons of it"), this topic can be closed.

I've already told you, I would cut down Brienne's, Dany's and Quentyn's storylines. Also throw in several Cersei chapters and Jon chapters.

King's Landing: Cersei's walk of shame, the small council getting word of The Golden Company in the Stormlands and Varys' murder of Kevan and Maester Pycelle.

The Night's Watch: Jon gathers the wildlings and plans to head to Winterfell in order to save "Arya", but is Caesar'd by his fellow crows.

Meereen: As I'm thinking the battle of Meereen will take place in E09, I don't really know where stuff will end over there, but I don't think Dany will have time to leave for Westeros so soon after the battle (that will more likely happen early season 6, hopefully). I'm thinking the Meereen storyline will end with a meeting between Daenerys and Tyrion.

Braavos: I have a feeling that they're going to cut to cut the Mercy stuff, so they may move her first assassination over to the beginning of season 6 and have season 5 end with Arya getting blinded after murdering Pyp (taking Dareon's place).

The Vale: There's so much stuff going on in season 5, so I don't think it would be wise to use a lot of TWOW material in places. Instead, have what happens in the Vale be a 5 episode arc (a la most seasons at Dragonstone) and end with Littlefinger revealing his plan to Sansa.

Winterfell/The North: I could see Theon taking Jeyne over the Wall in episode 8, so the burning of the cannibals and the meeting between Theon, Yara and Stannis would be a fitting ending of their arcs, with the potential battle of Winterfell taking place in early season 6.

Dorne: Doran sends the Sand Snakes to King's Landing with Myrcella before hearing of Aegon Targaryen in the Stormlands, thus sending Arianne there to check things out.

The Iron Islands: Though one. Victarion will be over at Meereen and Yara's gonna be Stannis' prisoner, so whatever happens on the Iron Islands, I have no idea. I think we won't see anymore of Euron post-kingsmoot early in the season, and will just be hearing of his campaigns in the Reach.

Aegon and Connington: Taking Storm's End off screen and end with Aegon, JonCon and the Golden Company inside the castle.

Samwell Tarly: Have Sam reach Oldtown in season 6, and end season 5 with him and his gang leaving Braavos on the Cinnamon Wind, telling Aemon about Dany and her dragons, and sitting by his side as Maester Aemon dies.

Jaime Lannister: Conquering Riverrun and meeting Brienne in the woods, where she makes him follow him. I have a small theory about Gendry becoming Jaime's squire on his trip to Riverrun (maybe in order to get there and find Arya again), which would put him pretty much where he is by the end of AFFC.

Davos Seaworth: Reaching Skagos, if that's where his story is going.

Beyond the Wall: Absolutely no idea. Probably some TWOW stuff.

Everyone connected to the show is contradicting each other.

Um, no they haven't been. There's been a bit of uncertainty as to how fixed seven is or whether eight remains possible, but nothing beyond that. And they've been very clear that they aren't stopping for Martin.

Eunuch, I know you've already posted your ending predictions but I would like to know how you would set up particular storylines.

For instance, Sansa. Assuming that as one of the major characters, she appears in no less than 6 episodes of each of the two seasons, what would we see from her storyline in each episode?

I believe that Season 5's episode 9 should be Daenerys riding Drogon and Aegon reaching Westeros.

So, Tyrion should already be at Mereen. (his meeting with Ylirio Mopatis doesn't have to go beyond episode 1, Tyrion's adventures with Connington could end at episode 6, where he is kidnapped by Jorah).

In the North, Stannis could begin his march on Winterfell ( that would be an awesome cliffhanger). I hope he hangs at the wall for the first half of Season 5, and then the second half could be about his alliance with the mountain clans and taking DeepWood Motte.

Davos would be on his way to find Rickon.

The Boltons arrive in Winterfell with their party. Also, Ramsay and FArya could get married ( If she exists on the show).

King's Landing and the Riverlands: Probably end it with Jamie encountering Brienne.

Cersei's walk of shame.

Dorne / Iron Islands : Doran receiving the news of Aegon's arrival, Euron (If he exists) beginning his campaign against the Reach.

Arya/Sansa/Bran: They're going to have to come up with very ingenious ways to keep them busy.

Sam: Probably arriving in Oldtown.

First episodes of SEASON 6 :

ADWD / AFFC material:

-Winterfell's tension between the Frey/Boltons and everyone else.

-Kevan Lannister epilogue

-Stannis captures Theon

-Battle of Mereen (Daenerys isn't on the show until later (episode 05 or 06)

-Jon's stabbed (could happen in Season 5 anyway)

-Sam's last chapter of AFFC

TWoW:

Everyone else. (Davos, Arya, Sansa, Jamie, Cersei, etc. )

I'm hoping that they combine books 4 and 5 into one season, because two seasons would have too much filler. I think that if they did that they would have to include the Battle for Meereen, even if TWOW wasn't out yet. They can't have an entire season where the only big thing that happens is Jon's maybe-death in the final 5 minutes of the last episode. Cersei's imprisonment and Aegon arriving in Westeros and having a small battle aren't big enough moments and I don't remember anything else shocking happening. GRRM could just tell them how the battle will go and that would be the first thing that was seen in the show first. I don't think it's that big of a deal because it's not like anyone is expecting Dany's army to lose. Then they could start season 6 with the Battle for Winterfell with TWOW hopefully released by then.

I'm hoping that they combine books 4 and 5 into one season, because two seasons would have too much filler.

This argument about whether AFFC/ADWD will be one or two seasons is all over the place, and I'm almost 100% sure it will be neither of those two options: It will most probably be like one and a half or something.

The show is ignoring book endings more and more, and AFFC/ADWD is almost a must-ignore in that respect due to the high amount of cliffhangers ADWD ends with and the sheer number of storylines that have to be handled.

Me guess is that Season 5 will be entirely AFFC/ADWD (after S4 already contained some elements of those books), and Season 6 will start off with the end of ADWD and then evolve into TWOW material.

So, ADWD material that I suspect to be in Season 6:

- Jon's stabbing (too much of a cliffhanger to end a season)

- Stannis's march on Winterfell

- Basically all storylines leading to the Battle of Meereen, i.e. Victarion/Euron entering Slaver's Bay, Tyrion approaching Meereen (my guess is he won't be in Daznak's Pit when Dany rides off on Drogon), etc.

- Aegon taking Griffin's Roost (though that MIGHT happen in S5, if they don't skip it entirely and go directly to Storm's End)

We can realistically assume that TWOW and ADOS are going to be more like ASOS then AFFC/ADWD. That means we should be spending as little time as possible on AFFC and ADWD in order to spend more time on the books which are going to have so many important events to the whole story. I know the last thing we all want is for the show to catch up to the books so quickly that they botch the ending as they have little to no source material. But say the books were already all out right now, the stuff in AFFC and ADWD would look like nothing compared to everything after (hopefully). So they really should just speed through these next two books and get most of it into one season. There's nothing exciting for a tv viewer about endless travelogues and storylines with no pay-off.

Archived