Name pronunciations

Without looking anything up or watching any clips of people from the show right now, this is how I say some names...

Arya: "Are-ya"

Sansa: "Sahn-suh"

Jaime: "Jay-me"

Cersei: "Ser-See"

Davos: "Da-vos"

Asha: "Aa-sha"

Osha: "O-sha"

Difference between "Aa" and "O"...

Aa - Say Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

O - Just pronounce the letter O, as if reciting the alphabet.

Dothraki makes me wonder, since D&D pronounced it doth-RAK-key and GRRM has pronounced it doth-ruh-KAI.

And Aerys, is it air-iss or is it air-ease. EH-rhis?

ASH-er-uh or Ash-ARE-uh Dayne?

Gare-old or Jare-old Hightower/Dayne?

Is Moqorro muh-CORE-oh or MOCK-or-oh?

Some of them I go back and forth on, others I've settled on a pronunciation. Aurane I've pronounced oh-RAIN, Qyburn is KAI-burn to me, and R'hllor has always been Ruh-lore.

Here are mine for those:

Doe-THRAH-key

AIR-eez

Uh-SHAR-uh

JAIR-uhld

Mo-CORE-oh

Or-RAIN

KY-burn

Interesting Qyburn pronunciation you have there.

And I always pronounced Aerys' name differently despite it having the signature -Ae- in it meaning I ought to just go -Ay-ris- like I do with other Valyrian names but I always say his name the way people pronounce the Greek/Hellenic God Ares' name. While we're at it- @ The King of Cooked Steak, how do Greeks say the God Ares' name? Do they say it like in this video at 3:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdvvdT3CBE ? I know it's off topic but I'm just curious.

The Dothraki pronunciation is interesting as well. I went with the show's one for a while but I was put off a bit by how George kept saying Doth-ra-kai during interviews and such.

Is their a consensus on Targaryen?

I've always said Tar-Jeer-ian,

I've seen very little of the show, I think I heard somebody say Tar-Gair-ian on there?

George says it the same way they do on the show too, most readers I've encountered who read the books and don't watch the show do too. You're a pretty unique case, never heard of anyone saying it that way. Watch the video I posted with my first reply, George pronounces it there.

I see. And what do you think of the -Ty- names?

I've actually thought them kinda' weird because, when I first read "Tyrion", "Tee-Ree-Uhn" immediately popped up in my head and not "Tie-Ree-Un". It just sounds better the first way. Same with Tywin. Saying "Tee-Win" just doesn't sound right, while "Tie-Win" fits better and sounds more appealing. I like to call Tygett "Tie-Gett" because again, to me "Tee-Gett" sounds very weird. Even different Lannister names such as Cersei, which I've seen many people call "Kair-See" or "Kair-Say" because they don't know if the "c" at the beginning is pronounced "s" or "k". These names are weird, which is strange that Jaime, who is of the Lannister family, has such a simple and easy name to pronounce. People just perceive things differently. I actually forgot to put Kevan on the list of names at the initial post. How do you say it? I just say "Ke-Van". My translation says "Kee-van" while others say it's pronounced the same as the name "Kevin".

And I always pronounced Aerys' name differently despite it having the signature -Ae- in it meaning I ought to just go -Ay-ris- like I do with other Valyrian names but I always say his name the way people pronounce the Greek/Hellenic God Ares' name. While we're at it- @ The King of Cooked Steak, how do Greeks say the God Ares' name?

Sorry for the double-post. Greeks say Ares' name the same way, but with more emphasis on the "e". "AR-ee-s"

I loved the look on his face when he said it. That look along with the added description of the noble and beautiful Regar was priceless.

~Le Swoon~

Found this and reminded me of this thread.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/040ce699db1cde8536a3f326b424a12a/tumblr_n3s289qVzZ1qiyaino3_250.gif

HIS FACE says it all.

I've actually thought them kinda' weird because, when I first read "Tyrion", "Tee-Ree-Uhn" immediately popped up in my head and not "Tie-Ree-Un". It just sounds better the first way. Same with Tywin. Saying "Tee-Win" just doesn't sound right, while "Tie-Win" fits better and sounds more appealing. I like to call Tygett "Tie-Gett" because again, to me "Tee-Gett" sounds very weird. Even different Lannister names such as Cersei, which I've seen many people call "Kair-See" or "Kair-Say" because they don't know if the "c" at the beginning is pronounced "s" or "k". These names are weird, which is strange that Jaime, who is of the Lannister family, has such a simple and easy name to pronounce. People just perceive things differently. I actually forgot to put Kevan on the list of names at the initial post. How do you say it? I just say "Ke-Van". My translation says "Kee-van" while others say it's pronounced the same as the name "Kevin".

I say Kevan's name like -Keh-van-, his has always confused me, I go with my pronunctiation cos -Kevin- just seems too modern (I've seen it used in outside of the modern era but still... It doesn't fit in my head) for me and those other pronunciations are interesting though they sound too odd for me to use similar to how you went with -Tie-gett- and -Tie-win-, -Keh-van- just sounds right to me for soe reasons. And I don't pronounce it Tee-gett, though. More like Tih-gett, with a quick and soft pronunciation on the -ih- or -i- part of -Tih-.

Lannister names are always just... Unique, lets put it that way. : D

Jaime is a bit of a departure though I've seen his name confuse some people. That friend who says Qyburn like -Kai-burn-, used to pronounce Jaime as -Jaym- for some reason, I heard a girl say -Jaim- once too. After watching the show, my friend's pronunciation seems to have shifted to theirs.

And thanks for the reply with the Ares inquiry.

• 5 months later...

How about Brienne? And Petyr? I just started listening to the audio books and the narrator prounounces "Brienne" like the boys name "Brian" and "Petyr" as "PAH-tire". I always thought of them as "Bree-Ann" and "Peter".

Since I'm french and that Brienne sounds very french, I had no problem with her : Bree-èn, bree like in "brilliant" and "è" sounding like the e in "fence". I always pronounced Petyr like the name "Peter", though my father pronounce it "Péteer", but I can't find any good equivalent to "é" in english, perhaps like "bay" but without the "y".

I also always pronounced Jaime just like they do the show, but my father says "jèm", like "J'aime" ("I love") in french, with is quite interesting in think, since the spelling is almost exactly the same. You know, I bet you all already noticed, many names' meanings in ASOIF fit the character they're related to just too well to be a coincidence : Cersei sounds A LOT like Circe, the witch in The Odyssey who drugs Ulysse's crew and changes them into pigs, it also means "bird of prey" in ancient greek. Aerys : Ares, god of war, meaning in ancient greek "plague", "scourge", "ruin" etc... I never did any researches about the ones that didn't ring a bell to me, because I'm lazy, but I bet many interesting details could be found.

Interesting how we pronounce them differently.

British, and possibly older than most, so pronunciation differs. I would say:-

Qyburn - kai-burn (kai to rhyme with eye)

Jaime - jay-me

Cersei - ser-see

Baratheon - baa-rath-E-on (stress the third syllable)

Tyrell - t-RELL (phonic ter, short first syllable, stress on the second)

Tywin - tie-win

Tyrion - tie-ree-on

Arya - Ah-ree-a (like the operatic aria!)

Sansa - san-sa (san, like sand; not sahn-sa)

Euron - your-ron (like Europe)

Petyr - Peter

Brienne - bree-en

Aerys - Air-reez

Aegon - Ay-gone

Davos (seriously?) - Dav-os

My own name is Jaime (I'm Spanish, it's pretty common here), so when I see the "Jay-me" pronunciation for Jaime...I cannot really say it. I always pronounce it the original way.

My son-in-law and nephew are both Jaime - one is Scottish (it's fairly common there) and one English and both are pronounced Jay-me. :)

Interesting how we pronounce them differently.

British, and possibly older than most, so pronunciation differs. I would say:-

Qyburn - kai-burn (kai to rhyme with eye)

Jaime - jay-me

Cersei - ser-see

Baratheon - baa-rath-E-on (stress the third syllable)

Tyrell - t-RELL (phonic ter, short first syllable, stress on the second)

Tywin - tie-win

Tyrion - tie-ree-on

Arya - Ah-ree-a (like the operatic aria!)

Sansa - san-sa (san, like sand; not sahn-sa)

Euron - your-ron (like Europe)

Petyr - Peter

Brienne - bree-en

Aerys - Air-reez

Aegon - Ay-gone

Davos (seriously?) - Dav-os

I'm with you on all these except Aegon, which I say as Aeg-On (Egg-On) but this is entirely down to the show explaining how it should be pronounced. Before that I said it as you do.

As did Ned in Season 1 (obviously hadn't been told how to say Egg-On back then).

And Arya, which I say Ar-yah (two short syllables)

I'm with you on all these except Aegon, which I say as Aeg-On (Egg-On) but this is entirely down to the show explaining how it should be pronounced. Before that I said it as you do.

As did Ned in Season 1 (obviously hadn't been told how to say Egg-On back then).

I don't watch the show :leaving: so I can't really comment on that.

That said, I can't take to Egg-On. Aside from anything else, it would make Egg's full name too easy to guess and hardly a disguise when he's squiring for Dunk! It's a subtle change of form. At a push, I could do Ee-gon.

Edit: Out of interest, do you say Rhaegar as ray-gar or regg-ar?

My son-in-law and nephew are both Jaime - one is Scottish (it's fairly common there) and one English and both are pronounced Jay-me. :)

Sure, but Jaime is originally Spanish. So when I hear the English pronunciation sometimes I even forget it's the same spelling.

Archived