Crackpot: Gerion Lannister is Inkpots

Good Guy Garlan

I just remembered I came up with this crackpot last year but I never got around to make a thread about it, so here goes

Yeah, Gerion Lannister is alive and he's Tybero Istarion (aka Inkpots) from the Second Sons

- He's plump and balding, so he seems to be the right age

- He works with gold, as a good Lannister

- There's this little exchange:

Tybero?” said Tyrion. “That sounds almost Lannister. Are you some long-lost cousin?

Perhaps. I always pay my debts as well. It is expected of a paymaster. Sign.”

- And this one, far more ambiguous, but could be seen under a different light with Gerion in mind:

“In Westeros, the word of a Lannister is considered good as gold.”

Inkpots shrugged. “This is not Westeros. On this side of the narrow sea, we put our promises on paper.” As each sheet was passed to him, he scattered fine sand across the signature to drink up excess ink, shook it off, and set the note aside. “Debts written on the wind tend to be … forgotten, shall we say?”

“Not by us.” Tyrion signed another sheet

So the irony would be if both were talking of themselves as Lannisters

- There's also the Lannister quality of his name. It brings to mind how Barristan named himself "Arstan", like a relative of his, when he was incognito

- There's also, of course, a bit of symbolism with the name: Geryon is a monster from Greek mythology who also appears in Dante's Divine Comedy as "The Monster of Fraud", which could imply he's not being honest about who he is

- And last but not least, Inkpots assigns Tyrion to work for him, tending the company's books and all that. This could be another hint, as Gerion liked it when Tyrion memorized passages from books and acknowledged Tyrion's cleverness

Of course, the big flaw of the theory is that Tyrion doesn't seem to recognize his uncle, but maybe he changed a lot during all this time or maybe Tyrion did recognize him but Martin is withholding it from his POV for now. And maybe Gerion is just waiting for the right time to reveal himself to Tyrion, or not

Tybero?” said Tyrion. “That sounds almost Lannister. Are you some long-lost cousin?

Perhaps. I always pay my debts as well. It is expected of a paymaster. Sign.”

This seals the deal for me.

Ugh, I know. I just want Gery to show up, one way or another. He seems like the most decent Lannister

Exactly. If Gerion were to emerge at the climax of the Battle for the Dawn, Brightroar in hand and golden mane flowing behind him... it may be too much to handle :D

If he is, would he side with Tyrion? Would he go against his brothers and sisters?

If I were to go all tin foil hat on us, I'd say there's only one reason for Gerion to remain there in Essos all these years and join a sellsword company: because his own family (or maybe only Tywin) wanted him dead. Maybe Tywin thought he was an embarrasment for the family name, or maybe he was actually scared of Gerion stealing his thunder.

I don't know, I'm just spit-balling here because the idea of Tyrion and Gerion teaming up to take the Rock is too awesome for words

Archived