Westeros and Essos, 2014 AC

Game Of Thrones

A more advanced version of our society. They seem to be progressing at a similar rate to us but are slightly a head in some respects. For example, the Iron Bank of Braavos takes a more modern approach to banking than most of its competitors and their successful manipulation of Wildfire may have some impact on their society. I imagine Westeros to be either unified by this point, with prehaps the Iron Islands a separate country, similar to Ireland, or to have gone back to being different countries in the same continent.

Well if Aegon invaded with Dragons and 1600 men in present day scenario his Kingdom would last less than a day as world militaries will just bomb the dragons lair with Powerful bunker busters or shoot them while they are flying with nuclear warhead tipped SAM's

My guess is that'd it'd be only a little more advanced than it is right now. Nobody in the story really has an idea of when things actually happened, some maesters believing the Andals only arrived in Westeros 2,000 years ago. Arms and armor are early Renaissance, but there doesn't seem to be any inventors. Possibly because all the smart people end up being maesters and are not free to sit around and think, like our own history.

Even if the age of heroes were not exact, it was still thousted of years ago. They did not seem to progress every far since then.

At 300 AC, westeros quite comparable to the middle age, feudal system and all.

Also, most people have the septons interpret the seven pointed star text, like pre-Reformation Catholic church

But for it to advance, we need wider spread education. Middle age had more universities than just a Citadel gaurding all the knowledge. And Reformation had driven more people to be literate.

They'd just settled the second solar system.

Even if the age of heroes were not exact, it was still thousted of years ago. They did not seem to progress every far since then.

From Bronze Age to High/Late Middle Ages? That's 2,000-something years for us.

The problem is a lack of museums and history channels in Westeros. These guys just project their own surroundings back.

A more advanced version of our society. They seem to be progressing at a similar rate to us but are slightly a head in some respects. For example, the Iron Bank of Braavos takes a more modern approach to banking than most of its competitors and their successful manipulation of Wildfire may have some impact on their society. I imagine Westeros to be either unified by this point, with prehaps the Iron Islands a separate country, similar to Ireland, or to have gone back to being different countries in the same continent.

Plus, there is Qyburn and his frankenstein abilities.

The red priests can resurrect the dead. And they use gliders in the the city of the winged men in essos.

There is no reason to think that Planetos history will parallel history on Earth. Although it is based on Medieval Europe, there are drastically different forces at work in society and the environment. The 'seasonal' variation alone radically alters the human ecology. The events that lead to our particular cultural evolution and development in 'Western' society are specific to our own idiosyncratic history, with many specific turning points. And many societies have not developed apace.

I suspect that cultural development on Planetos is fairly static, and would not change much in another 1714 years.

(Providing the War for the Dawn II is won.) :)

Us, but with magic.

Wildfire is the nuclear bomb.

Valyrian Steel bullets and other weapons.

Wheat Walkers for breakfast.

Frey Pies for dessert.

Every now and then, some terrorist force tries to force on us that the only way to worship the Lord of Light is to burn people alive.

Colonization happens in the unexplored areas in the west.

The iRaven.

What do you mean by this? Your telling me if someone invented gunpower, that there wouldn't be a Randyl Tarly or Tywin lannister or Euron Crows eye to use it.

I mean without gunpowder eveyone would still wear plate armor and ram ships into each other.

Martin, I remember someone brought up a quote of him saying it, though I could be wrong, I will look for it for you.

He may have said at one point that he wasn't gonna have Westeros develop firearms and explosives, but Melisandre already has some powders that sound a lot like gunpowder.

Archived