Which Country/Region does Each Kingdom Represent Geographically?

Lord Celtigar

The North: Northern Scotland (Caithness and Sutherland) represents the Barrowlands, while the rest of the North resembles Lapland in Finland (ie. the Wolfswood, Wall and Northern Mountains).

The Vale: The German/Austrian/Swiss Alps and the Grampian region of Scotland (both are mountainous and fertile areas).

The Riverlands: Nordrhein Westfalen and England.

Dorne: The Sierra Nevada in Southern Spain represents Northern Dorne, while the arid and coastal areas of Dorne are similar to the geography of Israel, Palestine and Morocco.

The Westerlands: Wales. The region is very hilly with a large coastline.

The Stormlands: The Kingswood area is very like the Black Forest in Southern Germany, while the coastal settlements and islands like Griffin's Roost, Shipbreaker Bay, Tarth and Estermont remind me of North West Scotland (Cape Wrath, Ross-shire and Cromarty) and the Inner Hebridies (the Isle of Skye). The Dornish Marches remind me of the Rio Grande area in the US (Southern New Mexico/El Paso) while the Rainwood is similar to Glengarriff Forest in Southern Ireland.

The Reach: France.

The Iron Islands: The Aland Islands, or Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.

Beyond The Wall: Greenland.

Hey, thanks for the topic. I googled Glengarriff Forest, I could definitely see that. Cool stuff. I will have to google some of these other locations that I haven't heard about.

I've seen this topic come up, but not with such detail.

How I picture these areas:

Westerlands: Romania in terms of landscape and natural resources.

North: Sweden (but the size of European Russia). More southern Sweden, lots of fertile land.

Iron Islands: Shetland or Faroe Islands

Riverlands: Rhein region

Vale: Switzerland / Alps

Crownlands: Netherlands

Reach: Northern France

Stormlands: Aquitaine (South Western France) and Pyreenees. Mountains, forests, poor conditions for navy.

Dorne: Granada / Tabernas region in Spain

Beyond the Wall: Northern Scandinavia, Spitsbergen further north

From what I can see GRRM based it on Britain. Westeros does, in general shape, follows the general contours of Britain and the Iron Islands seem to correspond to the Hebrides. Now try googling "Britain heptarchy map" to see a map of the old seven anglo-saxon kingdoms of Britain and compare.

The North: Scotland, per GRRM

The Vale: Switzerland: mountainous, neutral.

The Riverlands: Poland, terrorized by everyone.

Dorne: Nothing comes close. GRRM says Spain or something Mediterranean, but the sexual openness, equality of women are not Mediterranean.

The Westerlands: England. Wealth, mines, killer politicians.

The Stormlands: Germany, per GRRM.

The Reach: France. Fertile, powerful, sensual, lots of gorgeous clothing, etc.

The Iron Islands: Scandinavia, Vikings.

Beyond The Wall: North Pole and Santa

I always thought it was a pretty simple map of England.

King's landing is roughly where London is. The Iron islands would represent the isle of man. Though I saw the North as northern england rather than Scotland. I saw the wall as hadrian's wall blocking off the wildlings (scots).

What's interesting if you take the gold of the Westerlands as being the Coal of the west of england.

What's more, the warm, lovely and fertile climate of the Reach easily compare to cornwall.

The North: Scotland (lower North. I.e. Barrowland/White Harbour etc). Sweden for the upper North (Umbers etc.)

Land of Always Winter: Pretty self explanatory. Siberia/North Pole/anywhere in Arctic Circle (the Haunted Forest might compare to the Taiga Forest, although on a smaller scale).

Riverlands: Central England.

Westerlands: Wales.

Vale: The Alps.

Iron Islands: Shetland Islands/all those islands around Scotland such as Skye.

Reach: Central France.

Dorne: Turkey.

"What's more, the warm, lovely and fertile climate of the Reach easily compare to cornwall" Cornwall has storms battering it's coast constantly and it's quite a damp place. Always raining.

Westros Regions as the British Isle, somewhat of a stretch

The North: Northern England (Northumberland,Cumbria,Durham)

North of the Wall: Scotland (North of Hadrians Walls etc)

Riverlands: Midlands (Rivers,centrally located)

The Vale: Yorkshire ( Full of Pride)

Westerlands: Wales (On the West and only place in the UK with gold)

Crownlands: Home Counties (Outside the capital)

Reach: West Country (On the west coast and rural)

Iron Islands :Orkney/Shetlands (Islands with Viking heritage)

Stormlands: East Anglia

Dorne: Doesn't really fit though

The North: Scotland, per GRRM

The Vale: Switzerland: mountainous, neutral.

The Riverlands: Poland, terrorized by everyone.

Dorne: Nothing comes close. GRRM says Spain or something Mediterranean, but the sexual openness, equality of women are not Mediterranean.

The Westerlands: England. Wealth, mines, killer politicians.

The Stormlands: Germany, per GRRM.

The Reach: France. Fertile, powerful, sensual, lots of gorgeous clothing, etc.

The Iron Islands: Scandinavia, Vikings.

Beyond The Wall: North Pole and Santa

Stormlands and Germany? I don't really get that one. I could see some similarities with some small parts of Germany.

Westeros, to me is a mixture of Britain, France, Scandinavia & Spain. The Free cities Spain, Greece, Italy, Egypt & Turkey. Valyria is a Roman version of Italy. The Dothraki seem to be Mongolian. Qarth is like Bagdad from the 8th to 13th centuries. Slavers Bay a mix between Egypt, Tunisia, Palestine/Israel & Turkey. All the Countries in Ice & Fire, to me anyway, represent a mixture of all countries in and around those countries as well.

That's how I see it, just depends on your own Nationality & your POV.

But you can probably read any country in TWOIAF, because its what you make it.

Westros Regions as the British Isle, somewhat of a stretch

The North: Northern England (Northumberland,Cumbria,Durham)

North of the Wall: Scotland (North of Hadrians Walls etc)

Riverlands: Midlands (Rivers,centrally located)

The Vale: Yorkshire ( Full of Pride)

Westerlands: Wales (On the West and only place in the UK with gold)

Crownlands: Home Counties (Outside the capital)

Reach: West Country (On the west coast and rural)

Iron Islands :Orkney/Shetlands (Islands with Viking heritage)

Stormlands: East Anglia

Dorne: Doesn't really fit though

I always thought that Dorne was Devon and if you take into account that Westeros is much longer than Britain then yes, it would be that much warmer.

I'm pretty sure that GRRM was just thinking of Britain when he thought up Westeros but just stretched it. Making Scotland colder and the south of Britain warmer.

Archived