Whats up with Serial Killers?

Seaworth'sShipmate

My pop anthropological take is that the popular image of the serial killer (as opposed to actual serial killers) occupies the same space in cultural awareness that vampires and werewolves used to in pre-industrial socieites.

I think the shows that the op talk about aren't so popular because people love serial killers. I think it's more of a fascination with how, and why, these people are so much different from the rest of "normal" society.

Agreed I mean of course there is gonna be the oddball who wants to marry the killer from jail or something but it's pretty easy to see why some people would be fascinated by a guy like a Bundy.

Sociopath and psychopath are different types of ASPD's the terms are still used today.

Isn't the main difference that Sociopaths are generally disorganized,erratic and not very clever about how they go about their business whereas Psychopaths are highly organized,calculating and put a bit more thought into how they go about theirs, and a very small percentage of either are likely to be killers.

Isn't the main difference that Sociopaths are generally disorganized,erratic and not very clever about how they go about their business whereas Psychopaths are highly organized,calculating and put a bit more thought into how they go about theirs, and a very small percentage of either are likely to be killers.

I've never heard that distinction before, although there seem to be so many out there that the word "sociopath" has become all but completely meaningless, at least from what I can tell. Either way, it is true that most psychopaths aren't serial killers, and further, I'm pretty sure intelligence is negative correlated with violent crime in psychopaths, at least mildly.

Agreed I mean of course there is gonna be the oddball who wants to marry the killer from jail or something but it's pretty easy to see why some people would be fascinated by a guy like a Bundy.

I ask because I used to see tons of girls salivating over serial killers on tumblr. i unfollowed them all tho lol so i don't see it so much anymore but it weirded me out big time.

Whats up with the men and women who love serial killers??

This. I find this...phenomenon so interesting. What makes some gravitate toward known killers for example?

Also the line between fiction and reality. Enjoying a gory novel or a vampire romance ain't the same as wanting to reach out to a real killer is it?

I always thought it was the other way round. Huh.

the green river killer was always a 'favorite' of mine. growing up in the northwest during the 80's he was still killing and was in our social conscience. i would lie awake at night and wonder how someone like this man existed.

as i got older i got a bit more interested in this true monsters of humanity and amassed a rather impressive collection of crappy true crime novels on all manners of serial killers. not shocking, my parents thought i was a bit off.

eventually this interest passed but was renewed when the green river killer aka gary ridgway was captured in 2001. as it was the age of the internet his interviews and confessions made their way to my computer screen and i read them all. the reality of him was even more villainous and terrible than anything i had ever imaged as a boy so many years earlier.

my knowledge of serial killers has not vanished, but i understand them no less no than i did before. these predators of society are truly alien creatures who hide among us so well.

the green river killer was always a 'favorite' of mine. growing up in the northwest during the 80's he was still killing and was in our social conscience. i would lie awake at night and wonder how someone like this man existed.

as i got older i got a bit more interested in this true monsters of humanity and amassed a rather impressive collection of crappy true crime novels on all manners of serial killers. not shocking, my parents thought i was a bit off.

eventually this interest passed but was renewed when the green river killer aka gary ridgway was captured in 2001. as it was the age of the internet his interviews and confessions made their way to my computer screen and i read them all. the reality of him was even more villainous and terrible than anything i had ever imaged as a boy so many years earlier.

my knowledge of serial killers has not vanished, but i understand them no less no than i did before. these predators of society are truly alien creatures who hide among us so well.

Creepiest post of the thread so far

Archived