Edmure Tully's Master Plan (Or The Silver Trout Conspiracy.) Part 1

Ratmancampidori

Edmure Tully, what do we really know about him?

We know that he is the firstborn son of Lord Hoster Tully and Minista Whent. We know he is the brother of both Lady Catelyn Tully and Lady Lysa Tully. We know that he is the uncle to the Stark children, King Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon and Lord Robert Arryn. We also know that he was made Lord of the Riverlands and Lord of Riverrun, after his father was taken out of the picture. Edmure was then replaced in these positions by Petyr Baelish and Emmon Frey respectively after King Robb was murdered at the Red Wedding and Edmure was captured. As far as we know Edmure is as of A Dance of Dragons being sent off to Casterly Rock to serve as a valuable hostage. His wife Roslin should soon join him after she has birthed his baby.

What I am about to propose may seem insane, but stay along. I believe that Edmure Tully was the real mastermind behind the War of the Five Kings and is also behind the crowns dire financial situation, the death of Ned the rise of Robb Stark's kingdom, Tyrion's victory at the Blackwater, the death of King Jeoffry and the utter collapse of Iron Throne power. I also believe that Edmure will be involved in even more future plans for Westeros as he takes revenge for the Red Wedding and reforges his original plan in to an even more ambitious and diabolical version.

Okay, now that I have your attention we can now begin. Hopefully I have convinced you to stay along to here the full story and my evidence.

Okay now that my first crazy notion has been preposed my second crazy notion can now come to light. I believe that Petyr Baelish is not only working for Edmure Tully, but he has been for years. Edmure always had a habit for making friends, almost all the younger River lords were cheering him on after he won the Battle of the Fords and many people treated him as if he was there Lord rather then Hoster Tully. Wherever Edmure went he publicly made friends with everyone, except for one person surprisingly. Petyr Baelish. Despite living together for years as children Petyr and Edmure are never acknowledged to have had any sort of friendship despite, it being said that Edmure Tully frequently visited Petyr after he was wounded by Brandon Stark in his duel.

Now your probably all thinking, but what about that Catelyn quote that said Petyr and Edmure were enemies after the duel?

Edmure had called on him as well, but Petyr had sent him away, Her brother had acted as Brandon's squire at the duel, and Littlefinger would not forgive that.

However since shortly after this Petyr was expelled from Riverrun, Hoster wouldn't have allowed the two to remain friends anyway. Besides Edmure was obligated to squire to Brandon Stark like Catelyn was obligated to give Brandon a token in the duel rather then support her friend.

And this is the part where the Silver Trout Conspiracy begins to form. After this incident Petyr is exiled from Riverrun and sent back to the Fingers, Edmure remains in the Riverlands, Catelyn marries Ned Stark, Lysa marries John Arryn and the Targaryen's are deposed from power. After Robert's Rebellion Petyr is brought to Kingslanding and appointed as Master of Coin around the time of the Greyjoy Rebellion, and here the conspiracy finally takes place as the idea enters Edmure's mind.

"House Tully is one of the weakest Great Houses in Westeros. What if I made it one of the strongest?"

And so the Silver Trout Conspiracy finally began.

Edmure began his plan by having Petyr destroy Westeros's economy by incurring Six Million Dragon debt through shady means and embezzlement. Petyr also devalued the Gold Dragon to such an extent that it would be almost impossible to recover from. These two intelligent posts explain it the best.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/j5dbh/robert_didnt_beggar_the_realm_littlefinger_did/

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/pdf/EconomyArticle.pdf

After this Edmure had Littlefinger poison Lord Jon Arryn and had Lysa write the Stark's to tell them the Lannister's were responsible. A year later Gregor Clegane allegedly begins to raid the Riverlands and Marq Piper, Ser Raymun Darry and Karyl Vance. Marq Piper is acknowledged as a friend of Edmure's and Raymun and Karyl are both young men who Edmure has a tendency to befriend. These three men's stories are also odd. The first few minutes of this Preston Jacobs video explains it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivkvhigUfY

So after this Petyr betrays Ned Stark and this leads to the War of the Five Kings and the rise of Robb Stark's Kingdom which Edmure had planned from the start. The Iron Throne was now in crippling debt that would take generations to recover from while the North were fresh and ready to fight. House Tully was now the second most powerful House in Westeros and one of Edmure's nephews was King.

Several battles were fought as Edmure was arrogantly assured of the North's victory. When it seemed like Stannis would take Kingslanding and destroy all the work Edmure had created by uniting Westeros Edmure repelled Tywin and sent him running back to meet up with the Tyrell's to crush Stannis. Edmure was informed about this by Petyr.

Things had gone wrong however such as the Ironborn's invasion but it would all be fixed soon. Petyr was heading to the Vale and once there he would convince Lysa to join Robb in his war and the unbloodied Vale nights would defend the Riverlands from the conjoined but divided power of the South.

All this was stopped however by something not even Edmure could have predicted, and this event would collaspe and change every single one of Edmure's plans.

The Red Wedding

And I'll get to that in Part Two.

Except one thing: Petyr hates Edmure:

Edmure had called on him as well, but Petyr had sent him away, Her brother had acted as Brandon's squire at the duel, and Littlefinger would not forgive that.

Given this, or even disregarding it, why would Petyr plunge the continent into war for Edmure's benefit?

Though I'm slapping myself for forgetting that quote now.

On your second question House Tully would be stronger. The Iron Throne is weak, corrupt and is in Six Million Dragons worth of debt. By contrst the Kingdom of the North is stable and unlikely to collapse with the Iron Bank funding rivals.

How do you explain him marrying Roslin? I'd imagine someone like Myrcella (Joffrey was already killed by LF, and Tommen is clearly next) or Margaery (see above) would be much more up the alley for the future King of Westeros.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this supposed to be serious, or a deliberate attempt to get the first crackpot of the year?

And when on planetos did house Tully become the second most powerful house in Westeros, whatever happened to the Hightowers and Tyrells?

I doubt the Hightowers are the second or even the third strongest House in Westeros.

I'd be willing to believe that Petyr's supposed hatred of Edmure is a sham to conceal a secret friendship - he's done such things before. I also believe that, while marrying Roslin wouldn't fit his plans, it wasn't his idea. The hypothetically super-crafty Edmure would have acceded while formulating a Plan B to rid himself of Roslin at a later date.

But why would Petyr work for Edmure? Edmure can't give him Cat or lordship over his former betters (meaning the Tullys) while still following his Tully Domination plan.

I'm calling this fishy conspiracy theory a red herring.

I'd be willing to believe that Petyr's supposed hatred of Edmure is a sham to conceal a secret friendship - he's done such things before. I also believe that, while marrying Roslin wouldn't fit his plans, it wasn't his idea. The hypothetically super-crafty Edmure would have acceded while formulating a Plan B to rid himself of Roslin at a later date.

But why would Petyr work for Edmure? Edmure can't give him Cat or lordship over his former betters (meaning the Tullys) while still following his Tully Domination plan.

I'm calling this fishy conspiracy theory a red herring.

Agreed.

• 4 months later...

I was dizzy after watching Jacobs video, but if enough Frey are killed, Edmure could become the heir of the twins?

Probably not.

Riverrun went to Emmon Frey, should his children and grandchildren die it would revert back to the Crown rather than the Freys.

If enough Freys dies, as in over 50, then there is a chance his wife could inherit the Twins and his children would become the Lords of the Crossing.

Archived