Bride of Fire prophecy

TyshaLives

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness… mother of dragons, bride of fire

(Dany in tHotU)

Probably been discussed to death but don't you think this references who Dany's husbands are?

1. Drogo

2. Victarion

3. Jon Snow

My view on Hizdahr is that he was the Son of the Harpy and he fooled Dany into marrying him and then tried to kill her. Treason for gold, maybe? Plenty of grounds for anullment of marriage. For me, he doesn't count. Hell, I'm just fitting him into the theory, I actually completely forgot about the guy.

Its intentionally vague. Its possible 'Mother of Dragons and Bride of Fire' is the connection to each other and not what she is shown previous. When she's looking at Drogos pyre where she becomes the Mother of Dragons she says that it was like a wedding. So when she became the Mother of Dragons she became the Bride of Fire? Fire is the only 'true' husband she will have, just like the dragons are the only children she will have? What is also interesting is the anthropomorphisation (I think its a word, shut up) of fire. Aerys proclaimed fire his 'champion' when he burns Rickard. Dany proclaims fire her husband?

Its so full of metaphor, symbolism, we can be here for days.

Well, if you have to interpret Dany's triplettes prophecy in terms of marriages and husbands then you have to count Hizdahr in too. He is a husband, you can't discount him.

Metaphorically speaking, bonding to a dragon like she did with Drogon could be a marriage of sorts (as in Varamyr's prologue, the warging bond is likened to marriage).

Bride of Fire was most likely a reference to Khal Drogo's pyre. Though I would love it if this bit of the prophecy was somehow connected to the hidden vaults of wildfire in KL.

Daughter of Death could also refer to that, where she is 'reborn' in a funeral pyre. Slayer of Lies, Miri was a liar.

But its confusing. If there is a relation to the previous three, we can agree the first are lies. We can agree the second three are deaths. The pattern would suggest the last 3 are fires right? Also, we infer the first vision in the last set is Drogo but we aren't told Drogo is there, just Dany on her horse on her wedding night. Perhaps it is the three dragonriders, the dragons being fire? Herself first riding her horse, Victarion who will steal one, and Jon Snow? Or the fires refer to Red God stuff, Victarion's hand has some fire mojo, Jon is likely to get some from Mel, Dany herself?

Daughter of Death could also refer to that, where she is 'reborn' in a funeral pyre. Slayer of Lies, Miri was a liar.

?

Was Miri a liar? She seemed to try help Drogo at first like she said she would, she knew Dany would want to believe she was "saving" Drogo but she told her it was life but some would say death was cleaner and that only a life could pay for a life, and when Dany says she tricked her she says no you knew the price deep down and blinded yourself to the truth (paraphrasing here)

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness mother of dragons, bride of fire

(Dany in tHotU)

Probably been discussed to death but don't you think this references who Dany's husbands are?

1. Drogo

2. Victarion

3. Jon Snow

What about Harzoo?

My view on Hizdahr is that he was the Son of the Harpy and he fooled Dany into marrying him and then tried to kill her. Treason for gold, maybe? Plenty of grounds for anullment of marriage. For me, he doesn't count. Hell, I'm just fitting him into the theory, I actually completely forgot about the guy.

Harzoo didn't want her dead. He wanted a little dragonlord heir. The Shavepate did it to incite rebellion.

Was Miri a liar? She seemed to try help Drogo at first like she said she would, she knew Dany would want to believe she was "saving" Drogo but she told her it was life but some would say death was cleaner and that only a life could pay for a life, and when Dany says she tricked her she says no you knew the price deep down and blinded yourself to the truth (paraphrasing here)

At best she lied by omission. It would have been simple to tell her the true cost and make her understand but she remained quiet. At the worst, she knew what would happen and made Dany believe otherwise with the horse sacrifice.

Even if its just Dany who considers her a liar, its interesting that in that pyre all 3 meet. She slays someone she believes lied to her. She is reborn amid the death of 3 people. And says that the ceremony was like a wedding. Its in that pyre that Dany takes on her 'destiny', becomes who she needs to be. It was the beginning and so 'made her', Mother of dragons, slayer of lies, daughter of death, bride of fire, are all things she is from that moment.

The triplet visions lose me though. The death visions aren't prophecies for example, they are all in the past.

I still feel each set of three visions relates to the epithet at the end.

I mean everybody buys into the slayer of lies bit, right?

Yes, but I don't think it means that she will necessarily wed these two others (the corpse and the flower, the second of which is obviously Jon).

Alright, all of you have definitely turned me around on this. Bride of fire is unlikely as a literal thing.

But its confusing. If there is a relation to the previous three, we can agree the first are lies. We can agree the second three are deaths. The pattern would suggest the last 3 are fires right? Also, we infer the first vision in the last set is Drogo but we aren't told Drogo is there, just Dany on her horse on her wedding night. Perhaps it is the three dragonriders, the dragons being fire? Herself first riding her horse, Victarion who will steal one, and Jon Snow? Or the fires refer to Red God stuff, Victarion's hand has some fire mojo, Jon is likely to get some from Mel, Dany herself?

This is what I'm thinking now, as well. But I don't think they'll be dragonriders, they'll just have a strong connection to fire in relation to Dany.

Archived