Should the Usurper have had the Kingslayer's cloak?

"Kingslaying....Don't make it a habit."

-Robert Baratheon to Jamie Lannister

So after Robert takes the Iron Throne, there's substantial pressure on him to kick Jamie Lannister's kingslaying ass out of the Kingsguard. Barristan Selmy wants him sent to the Wall, even Ned Stark, who under other circumstances would probably have killed Aerys himself, thinks Jamie has shit for honor and has profaned the white cloak. Robert could have scored a major win by booting Jamie from the white swords and giving Tywin Lannister back his heir while at the same time keeping a man who killed a king he swore to protect from doing the same to him. There's really no reason for Robert to keep Jamie around but he does anyway, surely even Robert was smarter than that.

"Kingslaying....Don't make it a habit."

-Robert Baratheon to Jamie Lannister

So after Robert takes the Iron Throne, there's substantial pressure on him to kick Jamie Lannister's kingslaying ass out of the Kingsguard. Barristan Selmy wants him sent to the Wall, even Ned Stark, who under other circumstances would probably have killed Aerys himself, thinks Jamie has shit for honor and has profaned the white cloak. Robert could have scored a major win by booting Jamie from the white swords and giving Tywin Lannister back his heir while at the same time keeping a man who killed a king he swore to protect from doing the same to him. There's really no reason for Robert to keep Jamie around but he does anyway, surely even Robert was smarter than that.

Jaime can't be allowed to go unpunished just based on principle. I mean, if Jaime wouldn't have been caught, Robert and the rest (besides Ned of course) could've just looked the other way even if they suspected him. But since he was caught, at the very least he should've been sent to the Wall. At that point Robert would've needed to send a message that under no circumstance is it permitted to harm the king, let alone killed him. The fallout would be an unhappy Tywin Lannister, which may or may not have led to a Robert/Cersei wedding. And even if Cersei was the queen, their children wouldn't be little lannisters. Then things could've happened very differently I think. Just the friction between the throne and Tywin would've been enough to temper lannister influence in the realm. IMHO.

I guess the idea that a Kingsguard could be fired from the position appeared only when Barristan was fired. Before that it was quite unimaginable, except for sending a kingsguard on a Wall. And sending Jaime there was not really an option if Robert wanted to work with Lannisters.

Jaime can't be allowed to go unpunished just based on principle. I mean, if Jaime wouldn't have been caught, Robert and the rest (besides Ned of course) could've just looked the other way even if they suspected him. But since he was caught, at the very least he should've been sent to the Wall. At that point Robert would've needed to send a message that under no circumstance is it permitted to harm the king, let alone killed him.

He would have if Robert cared. But he didn't. Unlike Ned or Barristan, Robert did not even see that Jaime did anything wrong.

The wise decision would have been at the least remove his cloak and restore him as Tywins heir, if not the Wall. But like someone above said, he probably didn't see what Jaime did as wrong since he killed The Mad King, we know how much Robert loathes Targaryens.

The wise decision would have been at the least remove his cloak and restore him as Tywins heir, if not the Wall. But like someone above said, he probably didn't see what Jaime did as wrong since he killed The Mad King, we know how much Robert loathes Targaryens.

I'd say Jamie deserved the Wall but as a political decision, in Robert's place, I'd give him back to Tywin.

Jaime can't be allowed to go unpunished just based on principle. I mean, if Jaime wouldn't have been caught, Robert and the rest (besides Ned of course) could've just looked the other way even if they suspected him. But since he was caught, at the very least he should've been sent to the Wall. At that point Robert would've needed to send a message that under no circumstance is it permitted to harm the king, let alone killed him. The fallout would be an unhappy Tywin Lannister, which may or may not have led to a Robert/Cersei wedding. And even if Cersei was the queen, their children wouldn't be little lannisters. Then things could've happened very differently I think. Just the friction between the throne and Tywin would've been enough to temper lannister influence in the realm. IMHO.

In all honesty, would Tywin really be that mad? He's already lost Jamie as an heir (unless Robert gives him back) and Jamie just brought major shame on House Lannister.

I guess the idea that a Kingsguard could be fired from the position appeared only when Barristan was fired. Before that it was quite unimaginable, except for sending a kingsguard on a Wall. And sending Jaime there was not really an option if Robert wanted to work with Lannisters.

They could have always set the precedent. Jamie killed his king, there's a solid argument to be made that he should be let go.

Who do you guys think Jaime would've married in this scenario? I personally think Jaime and Asha would've made a delightfully snarky couple

An interesting thought but the heir of the Rock would not be marrying a Greyjoy, my money would be on a Tyrell or Baratheon possibly a Tully as Tywin tries to build an alliance.

Who do you guys think Jaime would've married in this scenario? I personally think Jaime and Asha would've made a delightfully snarky couple

Asha was a child back then. And I have doubts that Tywin would marry him to an ironborn. More likely to a daughter/sister of one of his bannermen.

An interesting thought but the heir of the Rock would not be marrying a Greyjoy, my money would be on a Tyrell or Baratheon possibly a Tully as Tywin tries to build an alliance.

Yeah, if we learnt anything in AGoT is that Robert was a massive pushover when it came to the Lannisters. He could marry jaime to a LP daughter and Robert would say "that's cool, can't see anything wrong with that".

Archived