Cersei Baratheon?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Why isn't Cersei ever referred to as "Cersei Baratheon?" That is her proper name really, since she presumably changed it upon marrying Robert.

I mean we see Catelyn "Stark" Lysa "Arryn" and presumably this is in an era where women did not keep their maiden names. Then again, we never hear Elia referred to as Elia "Targaryen".

So why isn't Cersei ever referred to by her late, loving husband's name?

Catelyn is referred to as a Tully on several occasions as well (by herself as well as other characters), and I think Margaery is never called Baratheon either, neither as Renly's wife, widow nor thanks to any of Cersei's sons. I can't even remember Sansa ever really dropping the Stark name. In fact, Lysa is the only married woman I can think of that is consistently referred to by her husband's name.

As for the reason... I like Connartist92's explanation. It's a matter of allegiance, and as long as their children go by their father's name, no one really cares what the mothers do. They will be Lady [hubby's name] if they are the wife of a family head, but their personal name is their own decision.

Cersei obviously never considered herself married to Robert. Joffrey also, was using the Lannister colors and sigil much more than the Baratheon's. Despite the crown was Baratheon, not Lannister. The considered they could steal crown and power and owe nothing to no one.

Why isn't Cersei ever referred to as "Cersei Baratheon?" That is her proper name really, since she presumably changed it upon marrying Robert.

I mean we see Catelyn "Stark" Lysa "Arryn" and presumably this is in an era where women did not keep their maiden names. Then again, we never hear Elia referred to as Elia "Targaryen".

So why isn't Cersei ever referred to by her late, loving husband's name?

Queens rarely do both in Westeros history and our own.

Aemma Arryn, Alicent Hightower, Daenaera Velaryon, Mariah Martell, Aelinor Penrose and Betha Backwood are all known by their maiden names.

Traditionally when you marry into royalty you keep your last name. Kate Middelton would be the obvious example,as would the 6 wives of Henry VIII.

I think Lysa was probably called 'Lysa Arryn' so much because after the death of Jon, her main reason of being mentioned at all was that she was basically the ruler of the Vale, and as the mother of the lord of the Vale, both of which would have strong Arryn connotations.

Most other women are reffered to by their maiden name (most of the time).

Quick question to anyone: has LordArryn ever replied to a post?

1. It is not her proper name.

2. It is an era where women kept their maiden names.

3. GRRM said highborn ladies usually do it but it is a choice, and Cersei never truly accepted Robert as her husband.

4. As above, do you ever even reply to your posts?

Archived