Doctor Who novels.

Jon's Queen Consort

I read a lot of the New Adventures when they came out, but fell off the wagon towards the end. Some of them were pretty good, and it's interesting how many of the novel and short story writers ended up being writers and showrunners (including both Moffat and Davies, not to mention Gatiss and Roberts).

Yep, the NAs are my favourite era of Doctor Who! I read them all as they came out (though I wasn't able to acquire my own copy of Lungbarrow till years later - even immediately after release it was hard to get hold of). Lungbarrow is a much more interesting depiction of Gallifrey than anything the TV series has come up with. The EDAs I thought were more erratic; there were some real standouts (including anything by Lawrence Miles), but more clunkers, and I didn't think any of the arcs were well handled.

Haven't read any novels or short stories yet but I recently bought my first Doctor Who story. It's The Sands of Time by Justin Richards, featuring the fifth Doctor. I've only read the first two chapters or so but it seems interesting. I'll definitely try and get my hands on other Doctor Who stories, especially those written by later showrunners.

Okay,

How do I explain this? The Original Doctor Who novels from Lungbarrow onward get...well....

Increasingly ****ing insane.

You think the New Doctor is crazy sometimes?

No.

NOOOOOO.

There is some just RANDOM WEIRD **** in these novels.

Allow me to explain via example:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070526163537/tardis/images/d/da/The_Tomorrow_Windows.jpg

This is a novel about the Doctor dealing with a force which is forcing planets to destroy themselves in a series of cataclysmic wars, pollution, and religious strife. Sounds good so far, right? Well, except for the fact it's all part of a real-estate scam by an immortal who uses a cryogenically frozen version of Michael Keaton's Birdman (20 years before Birdman--it's a parody of Michael Keaton being a birdman) to impersonate God.

And this is the LEAST crazy part of the story.

The new series books tend to be rather less interesting than the Seventh and Eighth Doctor books, since they're stuck inside the TV series continuity so nothing really important can happen to the characters, they're required to be more kiddy-friendly, and they've got a more restricted wordcount to work with. The Missing/Past Doctor Adventures are somewhere in between; there are some pretty good books for Four, including Festival of Death (much better than the same author's The Tomorrow Windows!) and Eye of Heaven.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, the NAs are my favourite era of Doctor Who! I read them all as they came out (though I wasn't able to acquire my own copy of Lungbarrow till years later - even immediately after release it was hard to get hold of). Lungbarrow is a much more interesting depiction of Gallifrey than anything the TV series has come up with. The EDAs I thought were more erratic; there were some real standouts (including anything by Lawrence Miles), but more clunkers, and I didn't think any of the arcs were well handled.

That is the reason why I liked it so much. I would love to see more about Gallifrey and Time Lords' society.

I would love to see more about Gallifrey and Time Lords' society.

You might like The Infinity Doctors; it's great book, but the version of Gallifrey it depicts is a bit too human for my tastes. I don't think anything since the NAs has really built upon Lungbarrow. Oh, and the comics from Doctor Who Magazine have their own unique version of Gallifrey.

Archived