Pronouncing the names of the characters?

Felguy

I've heard so many people pronounce Jeor as Jee-or, which doesn't make much sense to me. J and G can sound the same, and you wouldn't pronounce George Jee-or-j, right? I pronounce it just like George without the final -ge. That's just me though.

But "George" is written like that because, if it was written "Gorge", it would be pronounced with a G as in "Gordon". There's no need to do that with "Jeor", if it were pronounced Jor, why not just write it like that?

Oh and Yronwood. No idea how to pronounce that. Ironwood? Ee-ronwood? Eronwood?

I think that is meant to be Ironwood, like the metal, spelled with 'Y' only to look cooler. :D

I hate it when people say A-ri-a. It's Ar-Ja, guys.

I also don't get why people call Ned's wife Cat-linn. The spelling would indicate that it's pronounced like Kate Middleton.

I think that is meant to be Ironwood, like the metal, spelled with 'Y' only to look cooler. :D

I hate it when people say A-ri-a. It's Ar-Ja, guys.
I also don't get why people call Ned's wife Cat-linn. The spelling would indicate that it's pronounced like Kate Middleton.

But GRRM likes to use medieval or medieval looking spellings. And in the Middle Ages, before the Great Vowel Shift was finished, Catelyn would have probably not been pronounced Kaitlin, but closer to how it was spelled. For instance, we know that the English last name Catesby was pronounced in the 15th century as "Catsby" rather than "Caitsby" (because William Catesby, a counsellor of Richard III, was nicknamed "Cat", as in the animal, in a silly little contemporary poem by a political enemy).

But GRRM likes to use medieval or medieval looking spellings. And in the Middle Ages, before the Great Vowel Shift was finished, Catelyn would have probably not been pronounced Kaitlin, but closer to how it was spelled. For instance, we know that the English last name Catesby was pronounced in the 15th century as "Catsby" rather than "Caitsby" (because William Catesby, a counsellor of Richard III, was nicknamed "Cat", as in the animal, in a silly little contemporary poem by a political enemy).

didn't know about Catesby, thanks for enlightening me. still, I think it's a kinda weird pronounciation (no english native, though).

Even though I know an Y in English is (mostly?) pronounced like AI or I, i still can't help but pronounce it completely different since English isn't my first language.

So I always get a headache when pronouncing Lyanna and Tyrion  xD - I've heard some say Lyanna as LEE-anna and some say it LIE-anna, and I just still say it differently :dunno:

The pronunciation is clearly up to the reader.  And it is best that way.  

I prefer "Bry-een", and "Puh-tire" and  "Cat-a-Lin", precisely because that sounds "foreign" and "exotic",not like common names today.  

Others I know absolute cringe at those pronunciations.  And that is perfectly fine too.     

I think the fact that Martin lets HBO say "Bree-anne", "Peter" and "Caitlyn" speaks more to "dumbing down" for TV audiences than it does to right or wrongness.  IMO. 

I love the way that many British people call President Barack Obama, "Barrick O'Bamma" as if they are saying "Soldier dwelling of Alabama".  It is no slightit's not an insult.  It is just how they "think" the name.  

I agree with what so many others have said, the fact that we read, think and hear things so differently is enjoyable in and of itself.  It is exactly what they mean when they say "variety is the spice of life."  

I pronounce Ah-ry-ah, "BAD-ASS", but that's just me. :-)

Gendry - Jendry
Ramsey - Ramsie
Rickon - Rickun
Catelyn - Caitlin
Ygritte - my cousins call her Ingrid
Aegon - thought it was Aygon instead of Eggon.
Lysa - thought it was Lisa
Loras - I pronounce it LorAss
Margaery - Margarerie
Arya - ArYA.
Sansa - it's pronounced Sarnsa. I say Sanssa. Pronoucning the 's more.
Missandei - Missanday

I don't bother trying to name any character that Dany encounters.

Gendry as GEHN-dree

Finally gave in on CAT-lynn which is halfway between how it looks and GRRM's Cat-uh-lynn.

RICK-on (rick on, rick off)

ee-GRIT or ee-GREET, depending on the day.  Bugs the heck out of me hearing it pronounced EE-gret, cause that's a bird

AY-guhn

LIE-sah

LORE-uhss

MAR-juh-ree

AR-ya

SAHN-suh

Miss-SAHN-day

EYE-urn-wood is how I say it.

For me: 

Euron

yoo' • ron

Jeor

Jeor is a tough one to write out my pronunciation... jure? jiure? I'm not sure. I pronounce the "e" but it is very brief. It's enough to not be "jor" for me... it's like 1.5 syllables.

Aegon

eyy' • gun (definite stress on the "ae" pronunciation)

Gendry
Rickon
Catelyn
Ygritte
Lysa
Loras
Missandei - Missanday

jenn' • dree

rih' • kon

cat' • len

eh • greet'

lie' • zuh

lore • ess'

me • sahn' • dee

eh' • run • wood

Someone mentioned "Yohn" as in Bronze Yohn Royce but I missed it in quoting, apparently.

ee • yoan? yoan? It's another one of those 1.5 syllable things. In my head there's the slightest "e" sound beforehand.

I pronounce the Yronwoods simply as Ironwood. Sounds a lot better than "Yonwood"! I also pronounce Arya simply as it is written a r y (as in i, not j) a. Euron I Think as youron. Aerys I Think of as just aerys but I pronounce Aegon or Aemon as ay, not ae and I have tried to change my pronounciation of that name for the sake of countinuity. Margaery sounds a lot better with a hard g but I can use both quite easily. Ramsay is simply pronounced as Ram-say. Catelyn becomes Caitlyn. Yohn is Jon.Gendry becomes Jendry.

For some reason, I used to pronounce the "ae" in Targ names as "e" in "Beowulf" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6Xp7Bui_k

I don't know why, but probably because it just sounds better that way. It's only when I read The Hedge Knight that I realized Aegon was pronounced as "Eggon" and thought: "Well, of course that makes a lot more sense than the way I used to pronounce it", since "ae" comes from the letter ash and used to mean the sound as "a" in "cat", and "ae" is used in phonetic alphabet to denote that vowel - which is much closer to the "e" in "egg" than the "e" in "Beowulf". I knew that from learning phonetics and Old English at the university, so it's really odd that I still had the urge to read it differently. But even know, the way I originally pronounced them sounds much better, I have to force myself to change it.

I go back and forth between TRIHS-tuhn and TRIHS-stain.  Of course a case could be made for Trihs-STAIN as GRRM says his father's name Doh-RAN.

Trystane - I pronounce it as "Tristan". I assumed it's the same name, only spelled differently, as many of GRRM's names (Jeyne, Petyr, etc.).

Brienne looks French and it seemed natural to me to pronounce it as Bri-YEHNE (with a long "e", not an "uh" sound).  It would have never occurred to me to pronounce it as something that sounds like "Brian".

Arianne - similar to Brienne, Ari-YEHNE.

I always pronounced "Lyanna" as "Li-YANNA", "Nymeria" as "NI-meh-ria",  "Lysa" as "Lisa" and I prefer to pronounce "Tysha" as "TI-sha", all with with ordinary "i" as in "Kit", not the diphtong (Nuy-mi-ria or Layanna). The only "y" I pronounce as "uy" is in "Tywin". (TUY-win, not Tuy-WIN, as Brendon from Unspoiled podcast pronounces it - I always found it odd and it almost wondered each time who's winning what now).

ETA: and also "Tyrek", similar to Tywin - TUY-rek.

Other names:

Cersei - SUHR-si

Margaery - MAR-gery, wth "g" as in Margaret. No one is ever going to make me pronounce it "Marjory" (shudder).

Olenna - O-LENNA

Rohanne - Ro-HEHNE (similar to Brienne and Arianne)

For some reason, I used to pronounce the "ae" in Targ names as "e" in "Beowulf" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6Xp7Bui_k

I don't know why, but probably because it just sounds better that way. It's only when I read The Hedge Knight that I realized Aegon was pronounced as "Eggon" and thought: "Well, of course that makes a lot more sense than the way I used to pronounce it", since "ae" comes from the letter ash and used to mean the sound as "a" in "cat", and "ae" is used in phonetic alphabet to denote that vowel - which is much closer to the "e" in "egg" than the "e" in "Beowulf". I knew that from learning phonetics and Old English at the university, so it's really odd that I still had the urge to read it differently. But even know, the way I originally pronounced them sounds much better, I have to force myself to change it.

Does that mean Rhaegar is Reggar?

For me: 

yoo' • ron

Jeor is a tough one to write out my pronunciation... jure? jiure? I'm not sure. I pronounce the "e" but it is very brief. It's enough to not be "jor" for me... it's like 1.5 syllables.

eyy' • gun (definite stress on the "ae" pronunciation)

jenn' • dree

rih' • kon

cat' • len

eh • greet'

lie' • zuh

lore • ess'

me • sahn' • dee

eh' • run • wood

Someone mentioned "Yohn" as in Bronze Yohn Royce but I missed it in quoting, apparently.

ee • yoan? yoan? It's another one of those 1.5 syllable things. In my head there's the slightest "e" sound beforehand.

I go with Yon, Bronze Yon Royce rolls off the tongue nicely.

Archived